oh and I could move with my epi it doesnt make you unable to move at all x

I couldn't have a natural birth, my consultant wouldn't allow it as it was likely my uterus would rupture when I went into labour, putting me and Holly in serious danger. So it was never once considered - our safety was paramount, and far more important that me wanting to experience labour.

However - quite honestly - I don't feel any less of a mummy (nor have I at any point) because I didn't push Holly out. I don't feel like I missed out in any way, because I still had 37 weeks of growing my girl inside me, and I still held her within seconds of her coming into the world. Makes no difference to me whatsoever x

(Although kudos to the ladies who went through labour, whether it was natural, assisted, drugged up to your eyeballs - and the same kudos to the women who had elective/emergency c sections - we all made life, grew life and brought life into the world)

PS - Claire - WOW!!! Congratulations!!! Didn't know you were expecting, how lovely. xxx

I do admire women who do it with absolutely nothing but also I wonder why they dont want any pain relief. Higher pain threshold? Trying to prove a point? Being a martyr? Not wanting to "drug up" their baby (most medications dont affect the baby anyway)......

Each to their own though :) for me I didnt see the point in being in pain if I didnt need to be. I would've ended up with a section either way as she was too big for me, even the midwives commented theres no way I'd have been able to birth her naturally unfortunatley :( xx

Honestly, for me (and a lot of other people) being immobilised by an epidural or being on medication that make feel like you're not quite with it, is far more scary than feeling the pain. I stood up, leaned against OH and breathed through my contractions which made them manageable.
When something is as important as bringing a baby into the world, do you honestly think that people would choose to be martryr or to prove a point? I'm not having a go at you, honestly I am not, because I hear a lot of women saying this, but it really find it very ill informed when people suggest those kind of reasons for a natural birth.

lol :flower:

I dont know I suppose because of all the health issues I've had in the past I've always been full of drugs lol so I'm pretty blase towards medication, just my opinion of course, but I've never been able to understand why if you're in pain you dont want to take anything to help?? Thats a genuine question btw not saying that to piss anyone off of course as I said anyone that can do it without pain relief just amazes me lol either that or they have a massive vaj lol :rofl:

I've met a lot of women who just point blank refused because "we were made to do it" and they've gone on and on and on about how much pain they were in and how they had pain after etc etc I have to stop myself from shouting "HAVE SOME EFFING PAIN RELIEF NEXT TIME THEN" lol :winkwink:

In my experience the women who have made comments like that are the ones that had a lovely, floaty, natural, happy happy, smiley smiley, pass me a bucket to puke in, experience lol (yes I am very bitter :rofl:)

That syntocinon is a bitch though show me a woman who doesnt demand every drug going when on that and I'll eat my knickers :hha: xx

I totally agree about the synto, I didn't have it but from what I've heard, it really is a bitch and I wrote in my birth plan that if I had to be induced with synto I would consider an epidural. I would consider an epi if I had to be flat on my back for whatever reason, that would be my worst nightmare, everyone finds a different position comfy in labour and for me that was NOT lying down!

I think it's not just a case of, you can choose to feel this pain or you can choose to take it away, and everything is equal. It really isn't, there are downsides to having pain relief that for many women, are more compelling than the idea of being pain free.

I definitely agree we should all be proud of our births, though, it really is an each to their own issue, we all cope the best way we know how, with the circumstances that are thrown at us.

And by the way, I don't have a massive 'vaj' thank you very much :rofl:

:flower:

I do admire women who do it with absolutely nothing but also I wonder why they dont want any pain relief. Higher pain threshold? Trying to prove a point? Being a martyr? Not wanting to "drug up" their baby (most medications dont affect the baby anyway)......

Each to their own though :) for me I didnt see the point in being in pain if I didnt need to be. I would've ended up with a section either way as she was too big for me, even the midwives commented theres no way I'd have been able to birth her naturally unfortunatley :( xx

Honestly, for me (and a lot of other people) being immobilised by an epidural or being on medication that make feel like you're not quite with it, is far more scary than feeling the pain. I stood up, leaned against OH and breathed through my contractions which made them manageable.
When something is as important as bringing a baby into the world, do you honestly think that people would choose to be martryr or to prove a point? I'm not having a go at you, honestly I am not, because I hear a lot of women saying this, but it really find it very ill informed when people suggest those kind of reasons for a natural birth.

lol :flower:

I dont know I suppose because of all the health issues I've had in the past I've always been full of drugs lol so I'm pretty blase towards medication, just my opinion of course, but I've never been able to understand why if you're in pain you dont want to take anything to help?? Thats a genuine question btw not saying that to piss anyone off of course as I said anyone that can do it without pain relief just amazes me lol either that or they have a massive vaj lol :rofl:

I've met a lot of women who just point blank refused because "we were made to do it" and they've gone on and on and on about how much pain they were in and how they had pain after etc etc I have to stop myself from shouting "HAVE SOME EFFING PAIN RELIEF NEXT TIME THEN" lol :winkwink:

In my experience the women who have made comments like that are the ones that had a lovely, floaty, natural, happy happy, smiley smiley, pass me a bucket to puke in, experience lol (yes I am very bitter :rofl:)

That syntocinon is a bitch though show me a woman who doesnt demand every drug going when on that and I'll eat my knickers :hha: xx

I totally agree about the synto, I didn't have it but from what I've heard, it really is a bitch and I wrote in my birth plan that if I had to be induced with synto I would consider an epidural. I would consider an epi if I had to be flat on my back for whatever reason, that would be my worst nightmare, everyone finds a different position comfy in labour and for me that was NOT lying down!

I think it's not just a case of, you can choose to feel this pain or you can choose to take it away, and everything is equal. It really isn't, there are downsides to having pain relief that for many women, are more compelling than the idea of being pain free.

I definitely agree we should all be proud of our births, though, it really is an each to their own issue, we all cope the best way we know how, with the circumstances that are thrown at us.

And by the way, I don't have a massive 'vaj' thank you very much :rofl:

:flower:
i do! :rofl: No really i don't, sexy time once in 9 months? I think it's healed up :haha:

With my son I had a medicated birth because I had gas and air and pethidine. With my daughter I had a natural birth with no pain relief.

For me, it's two things. Firstly to avoid any medications reaching the baby (my son was pethidine duped which caused big problems for the first two weeks) and secondly because the high after a natural birth is amazing.

Thanks for that lol makes me feel even worse about my delivery....I didnt have a choice unfortunatley.....I got no high, I got PND, a very painful recovery, couldnt push the pram or get myself dressed properly for weeks...

I'm sorry, my intention wasn't to make you feel bad. I was just answering your question, which seemed to be dismissing that there are valid reasons to choose not to have pain relief. Regardless of how we gave birth, we all brought our wonderful babies into the world somehow and that is something to be proud of. :flower:

I guess a totally natural birth would be one without any pain relief at all, though I think although this isn't uncommon, a lot of women do end up with something to help along the way.

I had a emcs - am I proud?! Damn right I am! I have no issues about the way my daughter came into the world. She arrived safe & sound & that's all that matters to me, I am thankful for all the meds I had, I wouldn't have coped otherwise.

:rofl: at the massive vaj comment sorry I couldnt resist I'm sure its not true for anyone ha ha although mines slightly baggier from having every surgeon in Leeds shove their hand up there as well as two sizes of massive salad forks :haha: xx

A natural birth to me is a vaginal delivery regardless of pain relief.

:rofl: at the massive vaj comment sorry I couldnt resist I'm sure its not true for anyone ha ha although mines slightly baggier from having every surgeon in Leeds shove their hand up there as well as two sizes of massive salad forks :haha: xx

:rofl: bless you chick!! :hugs:

i think mine is too :haha: there were 2 mws with their hands up there and 3 gynae's. lets just say my foul mouth came back with a vengence :haha:

Ness - I have a very interesting picture of your labour and your foo! That might stay with me for a while :haha:

I have a synto drip during the 2nd stage as my contractions stopped and I had been pushing for nearly 2h. Within about 2mins of the drip going in, they were back and felt like I was being turned inside out! Kudos for doing that for as long as you did!! I only had the drip in for 10mins and ended up ripping it out just after Erin was born with all the excitment - that was how quickly it worked! Did have any time for pain relief, but I didn't feel like the pushing stage actually hurt as such - just VERY uncomfortable!!

Each person experiences things differently and no-one has the same. Each to their own and who cares how it happens!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_childbirth

I had 2 paracetamol and Gas & Air, but I class it as a natural birth. To me, the paracetamol really didn't do much (no idea why they even gave it me tbh) and Gas & Air is more to help the breathing. It DID NOT help the pain whatsoever after I was about 6cm and I didn't use it at all whilst pushing which lasted 40 mins so if that isn't natural I don't know what is. I think some women seem to place themselves above others if they have no pain relief whatsoever and to anyone that says any woman can do it naturally, that's ridiculous. I would rather have an unnatural birth and a healthy baby than risking the baby and my own life.

I had an induced ventouse delivery to a 9lb 11oz baby 1st time. I had gas and air only!! I'm bloody proud of that to. This time I had a little bit more traumatic time, was supposed to be induced, went in on the day, but they discovered she was breech before induction. The midwife told me I was only having tightenings, even though I said they were mild contractions. The consultant tried to turn baby, but her sat nav was malfunctioning and she'd stuck her foot down to!! By this time I was in pain and when examined I was 8-9 cm and so a panicky waddle to L & D and my waters broke. Made the decision to have C sec as her foot was down, if she'd been true frank breech I'd of gone for it. At first I was gutted as I wanted to have a natural delivery and had she been Cephalic it would of been quick and easy, but now I'm just happy I went into natural labour after the induction last time. I feel I have had to deal with the disappointment of having a c sec or it would ruin my early weeks. Mummies don't worry if your birth wasn't 'natural' you all have beautiful LOs. And to those who managed it without any intervention or pain relief, well done!! Just remember us mummies who had to deal witht hings not going to plan are a little sensitive at times about this!!

Can I just point out that a c section is major surgery and by know means a 'easy way out'. It is the only surgery where you don't get to lie in bed to rest and recooperate for a week with morphine on demand! You have a baby to care for. And many women (myself included) go through a long and painful labour before having a c section.

My body was pushed to it's absolute limits, I was so tired, exhausted and in so much pain the week after my delivery that I couldn't stop shaking. Don't even get me started on the shock and emotional recovery)

I am proud of my body for the fact it created a life and no matter how that life came unto the world, I did it! All women should feel proud no matter how they delivered xx

Can I just point out that a c section is major surgery and by know means a 'easy way out'. It is the only surgery where you don't get to lie in bed to rest and recooperate for a week with morphine on demand! You have a baby to care for. And many women (myself included) go through a long and painful labour before having a c section.

My body was pushed to it's absolute limits, I was so tired, exhausted and in so much pain the week after my delivery that I couldn't stop shaking. Don't even get me started on the shock and emotional recovery)

I am proud of my body for the fact it created a life and no matter how that life came unto the world, I did it! All women should feel proud no matter how they delivered xx

thats the most important thing of all.

If you are induced (I had to be too) I don't think you have to have pain relief, but a million punds needs to be givn to the women that can do it without! I literally went from no contractions, to regular contractions lasting 1min, every 4mins in 20mins. The first one hit like a truck and I fell over!! That was not fun!

Me too-being induced is horrendous. At least with a 'normal' birth you can get used to contractions at each stage....truck is right...wowzer! X

I'd wanted the whole water birth, relaxing music, minimal pain relief etc, but sadly it didn't work out like that :(

I ended up with my waters breaking very suddenly at home, followed by slow labour, so they eventually had to admit me to hospital to be put on the dreaded syntocinon drip to deliver Harry within 24 hours to minimise infection risk. So I ended up stuck on a bed, covered in tubes, with gas and air and a failed epidural, and eventually a ventouse delivery as I was absolutely exhausted after the intensity and pain.

Am I still proud of myself despite not having my dream birth?? Too right I am!! I brought a gorgeous little baby into the world, as did all the other mums on here, regardless of whether they were dragged out with sink plungers, salad servers, or removed through the sun roof.

Noone should feel ashamed of taking pain relief, or having surgery or an assisted delivery, at the end of the day we've all done a wonderful thing and have our LO's to prove it.:thumbup:

i luv any replies from mrs park, always very clever replies. im not stalking u i promise

In my opinion I would say a natural birth is when you delivery vaginally. That is the natural way to get babies out. Doesn't matter if you have pain releif or not.

I had a 31 hour labour with my daughter, all the drugs going and then had to have an assisted delivery with a vontous.

With Harrison I had a 2 hour 40 mon labour, gas and air and pethadine (wanted an epidural, but no time) and a vaginal delivery.

I am proud of both of my labours, as I went through agony with both of them. And I managed to deliver them safely in to the world.

No matter how you give birth to your baby, you should be very proud of yourself and not feel like you failed if it didn't go to plan. As long as they get out safely, that's all that matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->