imo i think they can be, if they choose to, and have good support around them

I wouldn't have , that's for sure. And it's possible they can be a good mum, but, I would wonder about their own parents for allowing it to happen though. :shrug:

hmmmm i dont think so tbh.

my son is 13 and cant even cope with nicole when she has a meltdown. hes ok with her but def couldnt look after her. my niece is 12 and is far from ready to be a mum. and as daddykins said their childhood would be gone which is the saddest part.

It's not impossible but I would imagine only a minority of 13 year olds would be good parents. Let's not let dads off the hook either - the majority of 13 year old boys would not be good fathers.

Definitely not impossible though. My mum would have had to have given me huge amounts of guidance at 13 and with her help I could have parented reasonably I think, however without her guidance, forget it!

I really wish people wouldn't use the past as an example and I don't mean it in a mean way, medically its bad for a woman to give birth at such a young age because their body is still undergoing vast development/puberty and pregnancy can stunt this growth along with higher pregnancy risks than someone that is in their early 20's, And as far a periods go you can get them as early as 8 so all the more reason why looking at the past is not useful anymore.

I was merely pointing that it was socially acceptable for a 13 yr old to be a mother back then, however now it is more or less frowned upon.

my son holds nicoles clothes with his finger tips as if there are germs on them. he wont even be in the same room if she does a dirty nappy

i know girls who have gotten pregnant at
13/14 and have done an amazing job bringing
up their children, age should never define a parent
you'd be surprise what someone can do with the
right help and support :thumbup:

surely though if the only way they can be good parents is with support from their parents then they aren't ready, I would say its the same for older parents, if you're not capable of raising them on your own maybe you should wait?

i believe they can be with the right guidance and support :) i was 16 when i got pregnant 17 when i had her and 18 now and tbh i wouldn't have changed it, yeah I'd of probably waited a bit now with knowing what i do but its no different being a parent at 13/14/15 ect then what it is in your 20's/30's/40's accept the younger you are the more prejudice you receive understandably, motherhood is all about doing what's best for your child neutering and protecting them and if a 13 year old grasps that and understands that and does the best she possibly can for her baby she will be as good of a mum as any older mum :) x

all mums need help and support in one way
or another whether it's from family, friends,
professionals or even from here ...

:shrug:

i was an older teen mum and i needed a helping
hand through my pnd, does that mean i'm not
capable of rainsing a child?
because i needed help?​

all mums need help and support in one way
or another whether it's from family, friends,
professionals or even from here ...

:shrug:

i was an older teen mum and i needed a helping
hand through my pnd, does that mean i'm not
capable of rainsing a child?
because i needed help?​

i totally agree :thumbup: i'd of not been able to do it if it wasn't for my family and my OH! everyone needs support when having a child god knows what i'd of done without it! :)

surely though if the only way they can be good parents is with support from their parents then they aren't ready, I would say its the same for older parents, if you're not capable of raising them on your own maybe you should wait?

Exactly this!

Like Jenny I was an older teen mum. And I also had PND I needed a lot of support emotionally from my parents and health professionals. Just because someone needs support doesn't make them incapable of being a mother. In fact I think asking for support shows they are aware they need help and are taking appropriate action to ensure the parenting they are giving is sufficent to raise a child. Yes teen mum's may need that extra financial support but so do many older mothers. The ability to raise a child should not be based on age or the support a mother recives but on how that child is cared for x

I really wish people wouldn't use the past as an example and I don't mean it in a mean way, medically its bad for a woman to give birth at such a young age because their body is still undergoing vast development/puberty and pregnancy can stunt this growth along with higher pregnancy risks than someone that is in their early 20's, And as far a periods go you can get them as early as 8 so all the more reason why looking at the past is not useful anymore.

I was merely pointing that it was socially acceptable for a 13 yr old to be a mother back then, however now it is more or less frowned upon.

It wasn't as common as people think it was though, right now the average age a girl starts her periods is 12.5, a hundred years ago it was much later, around the age of 16 I think.

I don't think most 13 year olds would cope with a baby to be honest, I don't even think they can cope with a sexual relationship at that age. I can't comprehend having a child at 13, I'd have a nine year old now!

Like Jenny I was an older teen mum. And I also had PND I needed a lot of support emotionally from my parents and health professionals. Just because someone needs support doesn't make them incapable of being a mother. In fact I think asking for support shows they are aware they need help and are taking appropriate action to ensure the parenting they are giving is sufficent to raise a child. Yes teen mum's may need that extra financial support but so do many older mothers. The ability to raise a child should not be based on age or the support a mother recives but on how that child is cared for x

I agree, but I think there is a world of difference between a 17/18 year old having a baby and a 13 year old.

with the right help and support anyone can be a good parent be it a 30 year old or a 13 year old aslong as there willing to sacrfice things and love the child :shrug: I wouldnt obviously be thrilled if i had a 13 year old daughter and she got caught but the reality is nowadays it happens and yes they may depend on their parents for be it financial or emotional support but i believe if they really wanted to they could be a good mum.

<3

Personally I am going against the mob here but I am going to say NO.

They aren't able to financally support themselves so how to they support their child. If they miss out on their education again how do they get a job that pays enough to get them out of the benefits trap. If your happy on benefits what sort of role model is that for your kids?

How do you parent a 16 year old wild teenager if you've never had the chance to be a wild teenager yourself, because you were stuck at home with a baby and no money.

Yes they're may be the exception but I'd be curious to know what percentage of babies to 13 year olds eventually manage to either get an apprentiship or go to uni as against the children of 23 year olds.

I think there is a difference between getting support from your mum say, and her doing a large proportion of the parenting.

I think it depends on the girl. I wanted a baby at 14, i wanted to be a mom very badly. I would of been a great mom but IM very very very glad it didn't happen!! I can't imagine 13 year old boys as dads, to me they are still kids and have so much learn and experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->