6w4d ultrasound?

wheelz23

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
So, after some spotting, (yet reassuring HCG numbers) the doctor wants to do a transvaginal ultrasound (my first one ever) on Tuesday. I am so freaked out and nervous, however what should I expect to see that early on an ultrasound?

How big is this transvaginal ultrasound?
What does it feel like when they're scanning you?
What will I see on the ultrasound?
Will there be a heartbeat? My HCG level was 31,239 on this past Tuesday.
Thanks! I just don't want to go in blind.

https://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab117/kirstybumx3/Mobile%20Uploads/E014CBA4-A678-4077-957E-EB79B329E7A0_zpsj674wmxm.jpg

This was my scan at 6+3. I didn't really see much because the sonographer was paying more attention to the second sac after finding the heartbeat in this one. (Possible twins I go back Tuesday to find out)
I saw the heartbeat flickering away on the screen but other than that it was a small round white blob.
Still magical though :)
Re the scan it's just a probe type instrument they insert. It doesn't hurt but can be a bit uncomfortable when they apply pressure.
Hope it goes well.

I have a vaginal scan tuesday, had one last time around too. As Kirsty said, not painful just a little uncomfortable!

Oh and also don't worry too much if they don't see a heartbeat, I didn't have one at 6 +6 but found it at 8 last time around x

My doctors have told me each time I had early ultrasounds that sometimes, the heart doesn't start beating until 7 weeks along. Although you'll probably see the little heart flickering away (I saw the hearts beating at 6+1, 5+6, 6+3, didn't get ultrasounds till later with my other two babies). So I'd say you'll probably see the heart beating, but it's not a guarantee. Also, baby pretty much still looks like a round blob at that point. They have a long tail and a curved spine, so they're literally curled up into a ball. You should also see the yolk sac in there with your little blob, but sometimes they're hard to see, so I didn't always get a look at them during my ultrasounds.

The transvaginal probe looks incredibly long, but it only goes in very slightly, so once it's in, you probably won't even notice it's there. I mean, you're focusing on the screen, and the probe doesn't hurt at all at any point. I promise! I hope you have a great time at your ultrasound!

If you can see the heart beating does that take the MC rate down?

No I don't think so, I think it just depends what position baby is in and whether heart has started beating yet, depending on your dates. Miscarriage rates decline up to 12/13 weeks but don't think seeing a heartbeat will make much difference x

I had some brown spotting yesterday at 6+5 so had an internal scan done today. It's really not bad. Its just a wand type probe that they insert. The sonographer was gebtle in changing position and I wasnt even really uncomfortable. Baby looks like a peanut and I saw a flickering heartbeat.

I had one today 6+5 its not uncomfortable, its a probe, not real big around.
We saw the heartbeat it was 136 which the tech said was normal. Good luck.

thank you for posting!!! That makes me feel better. I hope we can see the heartbeat!

No I don't think so, I think it just depends what position baby is in and whether heart has started beating yet, depending on your dates. Miscarriage rates decline up to 12/13 weeks but don't think seeing a heartbeat will make much difference x

I believe once there is a confirmed heartbeat, yes the risk goes down. Seeing it doesn't change it, the fact that the heart is beating changes it.

Thank you! That helps. I had read that somewhere too, so I'm glad I'm not alone!

No I don't think so, I think it just depends what position baby is in and whether heart has started beating yet, depending on your dates. Miscarriage rates decline up to 12/13 weeks but don't think seeing a heartbeat will make much difference x[/QUOTE

I believe once there is a confirmed heartbeat, yes the risk goes down. Seeing it doesn't change it, the fact that the heart is beating changes it.

I thought the risk was at its highest still 8 weeks (around) when placenta is formed/umbilical attaches as that is the part that can cause most problems? I could be wrong though!

The percentage goes down once heartbeat is seen at the correct rate for GA. Quite a lot actually, I remember being told at my first scan. Don't know if it was lies to reassure me but hopefully not.

I definitely read that once you know the heart is beating, you can breathe out a lot (but not all) of that nervous worry.
I find internal scans uncomfortable to the point of being painful, probably because my cervix is far back (I have the same problem with speculum exams and I tend to have to bite my lip very hard.) But that's only when/if they move it very far back/forward/side to side. It's not a big probe and if you're on a pregnancy forum I guarantee you've had bigger...

Hey :) I had an internal scan this morning and it wasn't too bad. It's a long probe thing and it doesn't hurt going in it just feels weird lol. My little bean had heartbeat flickering away on the screen, my due date was pushed back to the 25th August so that makes me 6weeks & 1 day x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->