7 week old only poos every 48 hours!

hanfromman

Reaction score
So for the past 2 weeks my son has only been having a poo every 48 hours, like clockwork - you could almost set your watch by it!! Is this normal? At first I thought that it was bothering him because the day he had a poo he would be quite calm and content but the day after when he hadn't gone for 24 hours (he goes in the morning) he would be quite unsettled and fussy. I'm not sure if this is the case or not anymore - it could have just been coincidence.

Another problem, apart from if he has constipation, is that when he does go it's like a poo explosion!!:dohh: Which is hardly surprising cos he has 2 days worth in there and he feeds a lot!! But it means that he usually needs his clothes changing and then be put straight in the bath. I want to start going to baby groups and stuff but I'm really worried that I'd be left with a baby with poo all over it and clothes with poo all over them! Obviously I'd bring a change of clothes and nappies but I dread having to clean him up while out of the house, and obviously I couldn't just put him straight in the bath:nope:

Is there anything I can do or do I just have to put up with it?

Is your LO taking breast milk? If so, it's completely normal (not sure about formula-fed babies though). Some breast-fed babies only poop once a week or go even longer between poops. As long as your LO's poop is soft and he produces the usual amount of wet nappies, there's no reason for concern.

Robyn poos every day, but I haven't yet found a disposable nappy that can hold back the poonami! Since switching to cloth (aged 2 months) we have had one, yes one, minor leak. So I'd definately look into changing to cloth nappies!

Is he breastfed or formula fed?

What is the poo like when he finally goes? Is it soft or more hard and adult-like?

He's breastfed:) And his poos are very soft:thumbup:
Thanks for the tip about cloth nappies - might give that a go!
Funnily enough the nappies that hold his wee very well can't cope with his poo, and vice versa! Maybe I should use different nappies depending on whether he is due a poo or not as I'd rather have soaking wet clothes than poo covered ones!:haha:

I could have written this thread! My LO is exactly the same, except he is on a 3 day cycle and by day 3 he is so unhappy!

He is 5 weeks and used to poo every day, sometimes twice, but then he became a bit colicky so we started him on infacol and the hv said that's what's caused it! She advised me to give him an ounce of cooled boiled water between feeds on day 2. If that doesn't work I am going to switch him to the comfort powder, but there are supply issues with it at the moment so that will have to wait!

I know what you mean about the poo explosion tho! Omg! We were in the car when he did it on Monday, by the time we got home it was oozing out of every available place in the nappy!

Oh he sounds fine! It's common for breastfed babies to stop pooping as much at some point. I think my daughter even went up to a week without going when we were breastfeeding. As long as he's not uncomfortable and poo is soft, you're okay :)

Robyn poos every day, but I haven't yet found a disposable nappy that can hold back the poonami! Since switching to cloth (aged 2 months) we have had one, yes one, minor leak. So I'd definately look into changing to cloth nappies!

:rofl:

I want mine to poo less!
He's 9 weeks - EBF & poos at least 3 times a day and at least 1 if not all are poonamies cose of the force they come out with!

I have tried 3 brands of nappies and nothing can containe them! I just accept I have to keep changing & washing his clothes!!

I second the cloth advice! I was so worried about containing my LOs poo explosions that I put off switching even though I always planned to go cloth. He poops about 2-3x a day now and I was still getting leaks everyday. In the end I just bit the bullet and switched thinking it can't be worse and actually it's loads better! No leaks, I can't believe it!! I wish I gone cloth from the beginning now.

Bf babies start pooing less at about 4 weeks. I think every other day is average. FF babies are supposed to poo every day. Breastmilk is almost fully digestible so there is less waste.

My LO got constipated at 8 months with solid foods. You can tell because when they do poo it is hard like a rock. Prune juice diluted with water cured it quickly.

Enjoy it! My son pooped every 7-10 days until 6 months, now he poops 2-4 times a day :lol:

My son pooped every day up until 4 months. Now they are every 3-4 days. He is not distressed or constipated at all. When he poos it is still a mushy kind of texture so he doesn't appear to be constipated. I think their bowel habits just change and are different at different points.

My little boy only poos every other day too he's 15 weeks now and has been that way since day one :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->