8 weekold only nurses for 5-7 minutes

themaybaby

Reaction score
My little guy only nurses for 5 minutes then unlatches. 7 minutes at the longest. We rarely make it to ten minutes. How long does your LO eat? I'm worried that it isn't long enough. He is gaining weight and is fairly tubby, Lol. So maybe I'm worrying too much?

I'd say you're worrying too much. ;) My littlest was the same way at that age, still is actually. Some babies are just more efficient eaters. As long as he is gaining weight, has enough wet and dirty diapers, he's getting enough. :D

I went crazy timing DD. She seemed to go from 45+ minutes to under 4 minutes all of a sudden.

It really worried me a lot.

Wish I could go back and tell myself not to stress as here we are a year later, still BFing awesome and she's perfect. So as I can't go back I'll tell you instead:

You're doing great, mama. Babies are smart - they'll soon tell you if they want to eat/drink more.

Xxxxxx

My DD is exactly the same. She feeds for 4-5 mins, comes off for a burp and then is back on for another 4-5mins max. This is a big change from my DS who fed for 45mins at a time! My DD is actively feeding the whole time and must take in quite a bit whereas my DS fell asleep, popped back on, fell asleep, sucked some more, came off etc etc so I guess I prefer it this way!

As a pp said if your Lo is content, gaining weight and has good nappies I'd say all is well!

Like others are saying, if the weight gain is good, don't worry about it. DS has rarely nursed for more than 5 minutes at a time and for a while I really stressed about it because I was hearing things like "make sure the baby nurses for at least ten minutes"--but he's actually big for his age and obviously is getting plenty of milk, just very quickly. :)

Mine rarely goes over 10 minutes. He's gaining very well so must just be very efficient. It's a big difference to DS1, he'd take almost an hour and a half!

My 7 week old is exactly the same :) the first week or two she nursed forever! So once it started to be ten minutes or less I was worried!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->