8 weeks, no insurance?

lcmorla

Reaction score
Good evening! I'm 9 weeks pregnant tomorrow with my first! I am so excited! I get my second ultrasound on the 29th when I am at 10 weeks, 4 days. I went on the 1st of this month when I was only 6 weeks, 4 days and there was nothing but a speckle of heartbeat. Can't wait to see my little peanut at the end of the month! Anyways, on to my question... I don't have insurance at the moment. These ultrasounds are complimentary thanks to Pregnancy Resource Center. My insurance from work won't kick in for another 3 months. I'm currently working full-time at a Marriot but they want to charge me $126 per check which will kick-in shortly. I am working part-time at the Heathman and they are only going to charge me $61 per check. After I found that out, I asked for a full-time position which should start shortly. Now I have to wait an additional 90 days for my insurance to kick in. Will me and my baby be okay without doctor supervision for the next three months?

You should see if you qualify through your jobs and family services for free medical. It really is important to have medical care. You would miss 3 visits. And it might not be to expensive if you don't have ultrasounds at those 3 visits. Usually after baby's heartbeat is detected via Doppler you don't have ultrasounds until the big one at 20 weeks.

Congratulations! :)

Thank you for the reply. I really don't think they will offer me free medical since I have an income :( I guess I'll be paying for my doctors visits until my insurance kicks in. Maybe my company will be able to reimburse me? Who knows...

Checking your blood pressure, urine, the baby's heartbeat. Routine.

And you never know with the new Obama care it covers more families and it doesn't matter whether you have an income or not. It can't hurt to check.

I make a decent living, more than average and they gave it to me for 6 months. My insurance kicked in after 3 months and I declined the rest of the time.

It's nice to have a doctor or midwives to call. It's worth the paper work.:thumbup:

You could check with you local county health clinic. While they may not give you free insurance they can often give you service on a sliding income scale which is considerably cheaper than paying 100% of regular cost out of pocket.

Congrats on your first baby!

It sounds like, from what you're saying, you could get insurance through Marriot right away but it's more expensive so you'd prefer to wait for your other insurance option to kick in? Could you go with Marriot's insurance for the 90 days to have the coverage and then switch? The extra money it costs for the insurance might pay for itself when compared to paying out of pocket.

Often pregnancy resource centers can provide you with info on resources available to you to help you to navigate the many assistance options available to you (such as agencies that specialize in helping you get set up for Medicaid (not sure if maybe that could be an interim option while you wait for your insurance?), WIC, finding doctors or affordable clinics, etc. Perhaps it's worth asking there or doing a search online to see what services are available? It's great that you've gotten in and been able to see the baby (so fun to see how rapidly they grow and change in the first weeks!). Pregnancy resource centers can be great stop-gaps while you're waiting to get under the care of an OB. Good luck and happy and healthy 9 months to you!

Yeah I would check with your local DHS. When I was pregnant with my first, I was 19, but still lived at home with my parents, working and going to college, so I was still on my mom's insurance. But I still went to DHS and got on the medical card to help cover what my mom's insurance didn't cover. My job at the time didn't offer any benefits.

But I would check with them, and since your insurance with your jobs won't kick in for a few months, your local DHS might cover you until your insurance kicks in.

Thank you everyone! So I decided I'm going to go full-time at the Heathman and part-time at the Marriott. I may just put in my two weeks. I still have a few days to think about it. While I'm waiting for my insurance(90 day waiting period), I will cover the out-of-pocket expenses. Thank you again for the answers. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->