9 month old should be offered food before bottle and should be on 2 bottles a day.

iiTTCii

Mummy of two
Reaction score
I went to see a dietician yesterday with my LO. We have waited 3 months for this appointment (and this was marked as urgent!). Since starting to wean, we have had endless problems with reactions from foods. The dietician 'thinks' she has an egg allergy and a wheat intolerance (as she's ok with some, very few wheat products). She did no tests and said the dermatologist will be this when I have an appointment with them (god knows when).
My LO is still on 32 ozs of milk and hasn't dropped anything since we have started to wean. She has 4 x 8 oz bottles. Her diet consists of sticks of veg and fruit, with some meat thrown in. On the rare occasion I try her with bread etc, she has a reaction. She just doesn't have enough 'filling food'. She's never gonna drop her milk if she's just having veg. The dietician said that I should be giving my LO meals so she eats because she's hungry, then offering her milk later. She also said that she should be on 2 bottles at this age. I kind of switched off from her at this point because she have me no advice on foods I could try, basically said to continue what I'm doing, with less milk.
I can't believe that I've waited all this time for this appointment, with all this hope.. To walk away none the wiser.

Oh.. My LO hasn't lost weight and has more or less been on the 50th percentile since birth.

Its rubbish that a 9 month old should only be on two bottles. My 8 month old still has 4 six ounce bottles a day. My dd has a lactose intolerance so have to be careful with dairy products which are in alot of foods.

You can buy wheat and egg free bread and pasta, perhaps try those. Also rice is good, try potatoes roasted, boiled, mashed etc as they are starchy and a great way to fill little tummies. Also there are some great recipes for oaty biscuits (use wheat free flour) which are egg free. I have suffered with a wheat intolerance and there are loads of great foods to try with little one. Remember food is fun until one so just offer food that she can tolerate and introduce new alternatives gradually so that she gets a feel for new tastes and textures. Hope some of that helps. Xx

My son is exactly the same age as your LO and he still has 4 bottles a day! 780 ml altogether, not sure what that is in oz. He was on 840ml a day but my HV recommended we drop the amount a bit so he would be hungrier for food, so instead of all bottles being 210 ml he has 2x 210ml and 2 x 180ml and it seems to work.

We started ot giving DS gluten free bread as DH is coeliac and we were worried it could have passed down to DS as it often runs in families. It's really easy to find GF bread (and loads of other items) in most supermarkets. Even our local CoOp has a GF section! Could you try her on GF bread, cereal etc? You could also try other types of carbs like potatoes and rice. My DS loves mash :)

Sorry you waited so long for a useless appointment :(

That's terrible advice. My daughter at 9 months was still on 4 bottles a day and only just dropped down from 6, and she eats well and doesn't have any allergies. She's only really had 2 cups of milk (about 180 ml each) since 14 months. She's also really only had food before milk since 12 months (and was still having milk before breakfast until about 14 months). I would ignore her advice, but also just generally work on trying to find interesting foods she'll eat that don't have egg or wheat in them - tricky, but possible.

At 9 months, my daughter was loving lots of different kinds of fruit, yogurt, porridge, all of which should be egg and wheat free, of course. You might also try her with gluten/wheat free bread or crackers, loaded with different spreads, cream cheese, hummus, mashed avocado. You could also make vegetable/meat/bean stews, served with some wheat free toast. I make a lot of blended soups (broccoli and stilton, carrot and lentil, etc.) and just leave them a bit on the thick side so they are easier to eat with hands, then you could serve them with grated cheese on top and some butter stirred in if you want some extra calories. Home-baked chips (basically roasted potatoes in chip shape) are great, as are things you can serve over rice (curry, chili, etc.). My daughter also loves quinoa. I buy in the pre-made packets from the store (I forget the brand, but it's a blue and white pouch, I think) and stir it into soups, curries, etc. It's a really health grain and high in protein. My daughter doesn't really eat much meat, as we don't eat much as a family, so I'm always trying to come up with creative ways to get her extra protein and fat. You might also want to try making egg yolk omelettes. I've never made one, but I know that a lot of people make them if they are trying to avoid allergies as it's usually the white that people have an allergic reaction to. You might be eliminating them all together, but if not, it's worth a try? Also, I'd just say, she's very young still. She will pick up on what she eats in the coming months, and as long as like you say, she's a healthy weight, you're obviously doing something right.

Ready made quinoa?? Where do you buy that, MindUtopia? Any supermarket? Never seen it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->