A baby born on New Years??

Sketcher

Reaction score
Hi, my due date is 25th Dec. I'm a private patient so now I've been told that after 40 weeks I can be induced if I want to be.

I would never have thought about it before but now I have to...

I know it doesn't matter when a baby is born, any day a baby is born is miraculous. SO this is my difficulty, I'm worried If I go overdue she'll end up coming on new years eve and I've heard people don't like have their bdays on new years. (Im not so worried about Christmas day, since jewish anyway and we'd compensate for bday being at same time)

So I was going to arrange the justincase induction for between boxing day an new years, also it means she'd have her own day, not a day celebrating something else.

I know I'm over thinking this, and they'll be people who will say its ridiculous, she'll just come when she comes, but as I've got the option I can't help thinking about it.

So what do you think? As I have option should I be avoiding new years?

Also just to note, although I have read about horrid inductions, doc said its a myth that they are as a rule terrible, is just different for everyone.
An once the day comes, I can cancel it If i choose to.

Really I just want to know what you think about new years?
(even confusing myself now!)

(OH doesn't mind at all, just says he likes idea of 2012 baby, but the '2012' just doesn't seem relevant to me)

Thanks! x

Personally I'd go into the first week of January. My son's birthday is 1st November, and it's really hard to organise birthday parties with his friends because of halloween. Trying ot get people to attend a christmas or new year party would be really difficult because of people being away and family commitments.

my due date is the 12th of january and i cant help but freak out and think im going to go early and have my LO on new years! or even xmas! i really dont want this to happen. id like him to stay put until due date. x

Personally I'd leave it til baby was ready to come out :shrug: I don't think inductions when there is no medical need are a good idea but thats just IMO.

I'm 14th january and worried about christmas and new year as well but hey, she comes when she comes.

As for inductions, don't forget they can take a few days before baby is born. I know of 2 people who have recently been induced and it took 3 days for the baby to finally make an appearance.

remember inductions can fail when your body/baby are not ready and this will end in a section...just a thought. I would also wait till you are in January...give the baby as much time as possible to come by itself. I have been induced with all 3 of mine and its so disappointing. Its unfortunate that i have large babies and am not a large woman as by the time i get to 40 weeks i can barely stand i am so big. This time i am refusing induction i want my baby to come by itself i would love to experience a proper natural labour. There are so many factors for you to think about in this. At the end of the day it doesnt matter when your birthday is...its when it is!! Think about your baby and when he/she is ready to come hopefully you will come to the right decision xx

I'm due 30th Dec, just hoping she doesn't decide to come christmas or new years ( although really it doesn't matter..) My sons birthday is august bank holiday so its hard for parties and will be for this LO too.. Would prefer LO to come before 2012 but if she stays put she stays put! Plus my mum would be happy as her and her mums birthdays are 7th+8th Jan! Hehe. Good luck with what you decide to do :) xx

I'm due 14th January, which means that I'll officially be "full term" from Chritmas Eve onwards. I don't mind at all if my baby decides to make an appearance on Christmas Day, New Years Day etc etc. When I first fell pregnant we were originally told our due date was 28th December and I remember dreading a Christmas baby, but as the time gets nearer I don't have a preference, and just want baby to come when she's fully cooked and ready :)

So not only are you contemplating an induction, but also have to decide the date? I'd skip the induction unless there are complications and it is absolutely necessary for baby's health.

As for the day, I don't think it would be bad if it did land on New Year's Eve or Dec. 25.
My lil one is due on the 24th of Dec. and I am hoping she actually makes it that day! I think it would be great. Also great if she's late and hops out on New Year's Eve, but I am thinking she will come around 37 weeks, which would land her the first week of Dec.
If you don't have any health problems or risks, I'd opt for a natural birth. I never understood the "movement" of c-sections "just because". Our bodies are designed to give birth. You should give it a try. Good luck!

Hi everyone, thanks for replies.

realised its idiotic of me to pretty much say 'Im going to medically intervene and force labour rather than give my baby a new years eve bday' That really is silly!

You have reminded me of a few things I had forgotten, like once you are induced baby could still take a few days to come!
And Ginaerhol, you said they can end up in C sections, and I really don't want that.

As I was given the option I was going to book one anyway incase, and then if I was feeling fine etc refuse it, and I most likely would now you've reminded me of those things, but I don't see the harm in booking it incase. I know that sounds like a contradiction....
Of course I know I'll be monitored anyway and if I had to have one I would be given it anyways.

But avoiding giving a baby a new years eve birthday is a really silly reason isnt it. My brain obviously has deterioated, G-d knows what it'll be like by then!

Heaven, I wouldn't elect to have a Csection to avoid natural birth, I don't see induction as the same thing, even though it is a medical intervention and better avoided. But I do agree with your excitement, I'm really excited to be due Xmas eve/Chanukah, I just got this weird thing in my head about new years. And feel stupid about that now.
Is there a reason you think you'll pop early at 37 weeks?

The way I'm feeling now I'm wondering if she come early in the end anyway! she certain feels like she wants to get, those elbows and feet can be painful especially when they linger sticking out!
Anyway when I rang to ask about arranging it, heard back that doctor wants to talk to me about it first anyway so I won't decide anything yet.

My oldest son was born on New Years Day and loves his birth date, he never has to go to school on his birthday, he is always reminding his best friend who's birthday is on the 8th Jan and does have to go to school. We usually have a New Years Eve Party and gets to stay up to see his birthday in. OK there's not much open on New Years Day but we arrange a party for the weekend after when they are all back at school.

My oldest son was born on New Years Day and loves his birth date, he never has to go to school on his birthday, he is always reminding his best friend who's birthday is on the 8th Jan and does have to go to school. We usually have a New Years Eve Party and gets to stay up to see his birthday in. OK there's not much open on New Years Day but we arrange a party for the weekend after when they are all back at school.

Thanks Cherry thats great to hear.

Haha now Im starting to want to be overdue and have her arrive new years...

My bday is Sept 6th, and school always started on 7th so that was always a bit miserable for me as first day of school used to terrify me. But I wouldn't change the date if I could.

x

Hi everyone, thanks for replies.

realised its idiotic of me to pretty much say 'Im going to medically intervene and force labour rather than give my baby a new years eve bday' That really is silly!

You have reminded me of a few things I had forgotten, like once you are induced baby could still take a few days to come!
And Ginaerhol, you said they can end up in C sections, and I really don't want that.

As I was given the option I was going to book one anyway incase, and then if I was feeling fine etc refuse it, and I most likely would now you've reminded me of those things, but I don't see the harm in booking it incase. I know that sounds like a contradiction....
Of course I know I'll be monitored anyway and if I had to have one I would be given it anyways.

But avoiding giving a baby a new years eve birthday is a really silly reason isnt it. My brain obviously has deterioated, G-d knows what it'll be like by then!

Heaven, I wouldn't elect to have a Csection to avoid natural birth, I don't see induction as the same thing, even though it is a medical intervention and better avoided. But I do agree with your excitement, I'm really excited to be due Xmas eve/Chanukah, I just got this weird thing in my head about new years. And feel stupid about that now.
Is there a reason you think you'll pop early at 37 weeks?

The way I'm feeling now I'm wondering if she come early in the end anyway! she certain feels like she wants to get, those elbows and feet can be painful especially when they linger sticking out!
Anyway when I rang to ask about arranging it, heard back that doctor wants to talk to me about it first anyway so I won't decide anything yet.

Ya, I had my last baby at 37 w 4 d. Feeling similar to last time and just have a hunch, but no two births are the same and who knows, I could be late and have her on New Year's myself!

Don't be down on yourself for pondering this original idea up though. You got lots of feedback and you can now see or have a better idea of deciding which route to take. Good luck whatever you decide!

I am due 28th Dec and would really love to avoid a January baby. If we're just talking about 'the best day to be born' in terms of clashing with holidays and things I really would prefer my LO to be born on Christmas day or New Years Eve than in early Jan. At least then everyone is in a celebratory mood and those that care about him will make sure he celebrates his birthday. I know so many people born in early Jan who just don't celebrate at all as no-one ever wants to do anything :-(

Personally I think 28th December is a great day! :)

New Years Eve / Day wold be a pretty cool birthday once you hit teens onwards...always a massive party happening on your birthday and always lots of people going out!!

Personally I'm avoiding induction at any date, even if I reach 42 weeks....even if I reach 43 weeks, in favour of monitoring.

my son's original EDD was Christmas day (later changed to the 28th) ended up being over due anyway was induced on the morning of January 2nd and he was born that afternoon . he loves his birthday because he's always off school lol . the only thing i feel a bit bad about is when he turns 21 he'll be a day off legally drinking that new years :haha:
oh yeah and it ended up being a cool date as it was 01/02/03!

i'm due 3rd of January and baby can be here on new years eve/day - big chance! My birthday is 30th of december so almost new years eve, never had any problems with birthday celebrations - i usually celebrate few days before my birthday :)) i don't mind the date really as long as the baby is happy and healthy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->