A lot to take in at my booking in appointment!

freddie

Mum of 3
Reaction score
Had my booking in appointment yesterday at 10 weeks. This will be my fourth baby and my previous 3 pregnancies were all super low risk, uncomplicated, so that's what I'm used to. Bit different this time round due to baby number 3 being "macrosomic" (over 4.5kg) and having the complication of shoulder dystocia at birth. So this time round my 16 week appointment will be at hospital with a doctor instead of with a midwife at the local clinic, I will have to have a gestational diabetes test at 28 weeks (apparently that's an automatic thing once you've had a baby the size of my last one), I am recommended to birth on the delivery suite rather than the midwife led unit where I had my previous 3, and there will be a doctor present for the birth. All this talk of doctors, hospitals and tests has me feeling very anxious 😥 anyone else in a similar boat??

Kind of. I got gd at 37 weeks with my last so this time I have to have the test 3 times (if first and second are negative) and will have growth scans etc. It's 80% chance I will get it again and therefore will be consultant led if that happens

Did you have gd with your last one ??

What weight was your last ??

My last dd was 10lb 6 and I was tested for gd but I didn’t have it
And she was tested on birth and was clear

I’m wondering if when I hopefully get pregnant again if I’ll hsvr the same issues

They didn’t know she was big so it was a total shock as I was induced due to her being small !!

I have been tested in my 2 pregnancies so far as there is family history.

My first I had at 28 weeks, negative, all went fine he was born naturally at bang on 39 weeks only 7lb 3oz.

My second, 7 years later, I was again tested at 28 weeks, negative, it was only after issues at 36w6d that lead to the scan which showed him to be 8lb5oz already they made me 're test which showed positive so it happened somewhere from 28 to 37 weeks. I was then induced at 38 weeks incase he was much bigger if left longer ( I struggled with my first birth at only 7lb3oz) and he was born 8lb 6oz so not huge but he was 2 weeks early. He also got stuck for over 2 minutes which caused massive bruising to his face and ended him in special care for 3 days with breathing issues so I'm sure they won't lead me deliver if baby is showing much bigger than this weight again

This time I had a test last week at 10 weeks, waiting results, if negative I have to have at 28 weeks and again if negative I will have some growth scans 32 to 36 weeks and if baby is shown bigger than normal I will repeat test again.

They have told me it's 80% likely I will get it again so more a matter of when than if.

I had the same with my 2nd & 3rd due to my 1st being macrosomic (no shoulder dystocia though). I was consultant led but saw a MW for most regular appointments. I had the GD test with both subsequent children (negative) and an extra scan at 2 weeks (which was nice :)). I was able to argue the case for a water birth on the L&D ward with a MW (I would have been allowed to use the MLU but had other complications rather than just my DS's birth weight). A doctor was supposed to be present in theory but wasn't there until after either LO were born as they were needed more elsewhere. I had pretty much the birth I'd have designed for myself with my 2nd (little intervention, birth pool, able to labour at home for the most part). Both children were smaller than my 1st by 1.5 - 2lbs :)

I'm in a similar situation although my story is a bit different. My last baby was born 7 lbs 10.5 oz at only 35 weeks. Since he was in the 98th percentile for his gestational age, I too am seeing a doctor rather than a midwife this time since I will need to have more frequent monitoring, not just for GD (even though my GD test in previous pregnancies came back negative) but also because he was premature they are making me get weekly progesterone shots from 16 to 34 weeks. My doctor did say though that after 34 weeks, if my pregnancy seems to be progressing normally and I don't end up with GD, I can switch to a midwife for the birth. All my babies were born vaginally without pain medication and I want this one to be too, if possible.

I was tested for GD at 28 weeks with my third baby as baby 2 had been almost 3lbs bigger than baby 1 and we also had a shoulder dystocia delivery. It came back negative but I felt “written off” by the drs when they said I would be better off having a c section due to the “risk” of another dystocia. Don’t let them convince you of that if you don’t want a section or the baby doesn’t look huge again (unless you want one). I ended up having one and then baby 3 was only 7lbs 6oz so it was a waste of surgery. I have also since had baby 4 too and I made sure I had a vbac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->