A suggestion re cloth nappy posts v. all other natural parenting posts

I do agree actually when you put it that way. When I first came in I thought people were speaking a different language :haha: xx

To be honest, I think if you're interested enough in NP, you'll ask questions regardless of what the other threads are about. I became interested in slings well before nappies, asked a good few questions and got lots of helpful responses and didn't feel out of it in any way.

BTW, there are 15 non cloth related threads on the front page alone at the moment :shrug:

to be honest its never bothered me, I dont feel like a whole different section for cloth nappies is needed. Its the same with any of the other sections- I pick and choose the threads that interest me, in the pregnancy boards there are alot of questions/topics that are asked frequently that could fill an entire section but if they are of no interest to me I dont read them.

If there are few threads on the other NP topics at this point I doubt that given their own section there would be a sudden abundance of them? Surely the popularity of the topics at present would suggest their demand?

I dont think its 'narrow minded' to insinuate that NP would be alot quieter without cloth threads because the number of 'other' threads at the moment serves as indication to this being true?

Just thought id add my opinion into the discussion :flower:

I think one of the reasons why there are more threads about cloth and slings than anything else in the area of NP is because they are physical things which people tend to have alot of queries about to make them work for them - which sling, how do I do a back carry, which nappy, anyone having issues with stains etc etc. The other technical type areas of NP can include BLW which has a section of its own, breastfeeding which has a section of its own.

At that point you're left with gentle discipline, non participation in CC/CIO, views on immunisations etc which all tend to be hot topic issues which alot of us tend to avoid on here as it's not worth the argument. So what's the point in having a section where people aren't inclined to post as it will only start another long tired debate which for some reason inevitably turn nasty as it can never be the case that it will just be natural parents discussing amongst themselves?

I think one of the reasons why there are more threads about cloth and slings than anything else in the area of NP is because they are physical things which people tend to have alot of queries about to make them work for them - which sling, how do I do a back carry, which nappy, anyone having issues with stains etc etc. The other technical type areas of NP can include BLW which has a section of its own, breastfeeding which has a section of its own.

At that point you're left with gentle discipline, non participation in CC/CIO, views on immunisations etc which all tend to be hot topic issues which alot of us tend to avoid on here as it's not worth the argument. So what's the point in having a section where people aren't inclined to post as it will only start another long tired debate which for some reason inevitably turn nasty as it can never be the case that it will just be natural parents discussing amongst themselves?

wss!

x

Well, I have to say that until I started readng lots of the posts on the NP part of BnB, I thought NP was more a 'green way of parenting. THAT is the main reason I started spending time in the NP forum - I thought I was about to meet lots of like-minded mums and dads who wanted to raise their children with a love of nature and the evironment, people who wanted to share their eco-parenting tips, etc. Maybe I just got the wrong end of the stick when I read the title 'natural parenting'. Either way, I think that a section on the greener aspects of parenting would be fab. Maybe I've digressed a little here from my original post, I dunno. What do others think?

Colsy, I think if you posted any threads about eco-parenting tips etc you'd get a good few replies, lots of ladies are interested in this but I think it's an area people just tend to get on with if you know what I mean, only posting if there's a problem rather than general discussion. But if a discussion was started, I bet they'd be interested in joining in!

I don't really see the need for a separate section, but I do think that perhaps encouraging people to consolidate the "cloth nappy admiration" type threads into a single thread/sticky might be a good idea. I looked at the forum the other day and couldn't see a single non-cloth related thread until I scrolled down quite a long way!
You can't make people be interested in, or post about, other issues but I do think it might be a little off-putting for someone who just glances in to the NP section and thinks that you have to use cloth to be involved here.
I used the NP section long before we converted to cloth because there were lots of threads about other issues like babywearing, diy, co-sleeping, general ethos of attachment parenting, education, even things like gardening.
I guess it is just that the threads in any section will always reflect the main interests of the active members of that section.

I dont have a problem with it, but using cloth in my life is probably at the bottom on my NP list of stuff we do! I think a lot of questions on the main page could be easily answered by the FAQ'S, especially as they have now been stickied- its gets a bit tedious seeing the same questions over and over and there is only so many times you reply before getting bored of typing the same thing! Cloth seems to be the main reason why people are here in NP so hence more posts, I think more ladies who do other aspects of NP need to pipe up with some more posts :D I'd reply for sure :flower: x

I'll probably get shouted at for saying this but I think it's only quite recently that I've noticed a distinct lack of threads on topics other than cloth nappies. I think a big part of the reason for this is because there has been a sudden influx of people new to using cloth who are only using cloth (for whatever reason) and not doing other aspects of natural parenting.

I may be looking back with rose-tinted glasses but I seem to remember a while ago that we did have discussions about environmental issues, animal rights, lots about babywearing, about how to co-sleep safely etc, but now if those threads are posted they get lost in the "oooooh guess what fluffy post I just received" posts, and the less there appear to be I think the less will be posted because it does start to look like NP is all about cloth nappies so people think posts about other aspects don't belong here. Perhaps when the influx of cloth newbies calms down a bit, or those parents start looking at other aspects of natural parenting, the forum will start to balance itself again. I certainly hope so.

I do feel that if there was a separate cloth nappy section, you would find more people coming into natural parenting just to be controversial and there would be more arguments. As has been suggested, I think we should just remind people that there are already threads for certain things (showing off fluff, posting reviews, talking about what you've just ordered, DIY etc) and that those things don't really warrant a whole new thread.

Rachel I had been thinking the same after reading Kit's post. There were much more varied NP topics a while back but the current threads reflect what the majority of current members are interested in which seems to be cloth rather than other aspects. It occurs to me that alot of the people who posted and were interested in the more varied NP issues are no longer members so I guess it's not surprising those posts have stopped but it is a shame :(

I agree that the threads which are more suited to the stickies (look at my fluff etc) should just be posted in the stickies and that should clear up some more room for the rest if there are people interested in it.

does it really matter?!

As long as we all have somewhere to post with our thoughts and questions! Nothing is taking over anything, if you have a question you ask!

If someone wants to post a pic of their new nappy then so be it!

All parts of the forum repeats, every topic in 1st, 2nd, 3rd tri, GS, BF, FF etc has all been said or asked before.

Its just what happens with such a large forum and new members joining/becoming preggers/having babies ya know?

does it really matter?!

As long as we all have somewhere to post with our thoughts and questions! Nothing is taking over anything, if you have a question you ask!

All parts of the forum repeats, every topic in 1st, 2nd, 3rd tri, GS, BF, FF etc has all been said or asked before.

Its just what happens with such a large forum and new members joining/becoming preggers/having babies ya know?

:thumbup::thumbup: i agree.
i hope this thread doesn't put new people off asking questions on cloth nappies.
i looked into this forum from starting lo in cloth nappies, then got a mei tai carrier cause of some of the threads. I don't think cloth takes over.

does it really matter?!

yep. I absolutely agree with this.

does it really matter?!

I agree!

I'm new to cloth - still waiting on a my first few nappies to arrive and tbh this thread has put me off posting new topics. *shrugs*

Dont be put off at all Lucy, ask away! :hugs:

I agree!

I'm new to cloth - still waiting on a my first few nappies to arrive and tbh this thread has put me off posting new topics. *shrugs*

Don't ever feel that you can't post a new topic. Ask away! :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->