A week old baby killed by a Jack Russel

A baby has lost its life, the family will never forgive themselves. A moment of thoughtlessness has ruined so many lives. Everyone has their own opinions and methods of raising kids, that poor baby didnt deserve to die, which is a tragic accident.

We had to give our dog away to a childless home a few months back because he was starting to show aggression towards our toddler now that he's bigger and runs around after the dog. He was a rescue dog that didn't have the greatest start to life so we knew he was probably more unpredictable than most other dogs. We were always with him and the kids but that didn't prevent him from grabbing my toddler's arm in his mouth at one point after my toddler got too close to him in the backyard. (He didn't actually bite down but that was enough of a warning for us that he and the kids would not be compatible). He was a black lab/chow mix and chows are also known for being a bit aggressive due to being so loyal to their owners/property.

We'll probably get another dog one day but I'll be doing TONS of research on the breed. We'll also make sure to get a puppy this time so that he/she can get used to kids from day 1.

As for Jack Russell Terriers, I grew up with one and as adorable, hilarious, intelligent and awesome as they are, they are unpredictable by nature. I grew up with one and she would still snap at everyone if we got in her face or tried to pet her from a certain angle. This is such a sad story and I don't even like to think about it. :( There are a lot of unknowns about the whole incident though.

I am a dog breeder,have been since I was young with my folks. I have also been to dog shows and am friendly with other pedigree dog breeders across the country. I have bred collies, terriers and now labradors. Over a long period of time in today's modern society, previous dog breeders and some today actually 'breed out' aggression in dogs. That's why you get some staffys and pitbulls behaving well as they probably have come from good stock. These types of breeds and known breeds to be aggressive. I always recommend to people not to have these breeds if they have small children, it's just common sense. However, I have sold many many Labrador puppies and collies to 'families'. These dogs are known to be passive and puppylike. I agree that some dogs can be dangerous but seriously..... saying after an incident such as this that 'people should not have dogs around kids period' and stuff like ' all dogs trained or not can bite' Sorry, this is incorrect data and so unfair to the thousands and thousands of well trained, kind dogs out there.*

I have a breeder friend who supplies labs for the blind and disabled. A large proportion of people needing these dogs are young children. These dogs give these children a life, they take them to school, they help them when they need dressing or even going to the toilet ( just leaning on their dogs to assist them) they need help and above all they are a best friend to that child. Now, seriously do you think us professionals would actually have successful, functioning businesses such as breeding dogs for disabled children if ALL dogs were dangerous creatures hell bent on biting EVERYONE? We would not have a business and dogs for the disabled wouldn't exist if it was not safe.

I think some perspective is needed here. This family who had a known, aggressive jack russell should have found it another home before having a baby, that is the issue.

Tarring all dogs with the same brush as this one in the news is like saying something like ALL people who drive cars can and will run over someone. They don't and most never do their entire lives.*

I respect people who say they don't want dogs themselves, that's your choice I'm not judging that but please don't say all dogs are capable of this and can snap at any time, you are ill informed, they do not all behave like this one.

Prayers to the little baby and even though it's mother should have been more vigilant, my thoughts are with her and her family, their loss is immense.*

Poor baby and poor family. We've just got a puppy ( yes I'm mad, 4 month old, 3 year old, cat and puppy!) but we don't allow her to be alone with the kids. I think saying that people shouldn't let dogs near children full stop is rather extreme. It's a bit like saying we shouldn't take our kids swimming in case they drown, we shouldn't take them on an aeroplane, in a car incase we crash etc. the majority of kids are brought up with dogs and have such good relationships with them.

dezireey you misquoted me i said dogs and babies which is totally different. i doubt there is guide dogs assigned to new borns. no one can persuade me having a dog around a new born baby is a stupid and unessasery risk.

people comparing the risk to knives and swimming etc is ridiculous a knife cant suddenly dive out of a draw and stab LO, a dog CAN snap. even if you are certain it wont it still COULD.

and personally i wont chance it with my LO until i can teach LO how to properly interact with my dogs.

Ive just read the daily mails write up on this story. It says the dog was a jack russell cross. Who knows what breed it was crossed with.
I cant imagine tho what that mother must b giing through. Shes only 19 yrs old. So much for her to deal with. It says the dog bit him on the head. Thats been some bite. Not a nip. Poor poor baby. My heart is breaking.
And regardless of the breeds ill always b very vigilant of a dog around babies and kids. In my eyes you just never know.

Even breeders can't claim to know an animal's intentions 100% of the time. Dogs get scared/threatened/concerned, and it only takes once for a "soft" animal to turn in defensiveness, or even to try and help-- a baby could cry and a dog could think it is helping by trying to lift it by the head as it would its own pup.

I have an English Staffordshire pup who is nowhere near trained and will never be left unsupervised with my boys. For now, he's in arm's reach at all times, or in a different room altogether. He's learning all about the boys and they are learning all about him, but I know it only takes a few seconds, eg Liam to start crying, and Dozer might decide he doesn't like that at all. I purposely picked a breed known to be child-lovers, but it still doesn't mean I'd ever take a risk and turn my back for even a second.

All that said, it could happen while I'm watching. What I'm saying is, no animal can be trusted 100%. I can talk till I'm blue in the face about never leaving the room but it could happen right in front of my face as I suspect happened to this poor little baby.

RIP little sweetheart :hugs: :hugs: You are thought of by many and you are safe in heaven now xxxx

It isnt always stupid owners.

ANY dog can snap no matter the training.

Yes but it's stupid owners that walk a dog off its leash near a child's play ground

And stupid owners who let their dog loose around their baby knowing its got an aggressive temperament

A dog doesn't know the difference between wrong and right until its trained to know

Beat me to it.

It is true that any dog is capable of vicious behaviour and doing damage/killing an infant. However it's far less likely if the owner is intelligent and aware of their dog's potential and respects it.

Im not an idiot and my dog bit me. He was a jack russel x and he bit my face.

No dog can be trusted 100%.

My childhood dog bit once in its 15 years, he knew the difference between right and wrong as much as any dog can but he was in pain which we didnt know about.

You can train a dog extremly well but its still a animal and they can snap for no reason.

Ok firstly... If your dog bit your face then perhaps putting your face next to a dogs mouth isn't sensible

And secondly... You have your dogs in the same room as your child... Supervised or not... I'm surprised that after being bit in the face by a dog your willing to put your kids in a room with one... It only took two seconds for that girls dog to bite and kill her kid...

Which part of that logic isn't stupid?

dezireey you misquoted me i said dogs and babies which is totally different. i doubt there is guide dogs assigned to new borns. no one can persuade me having a dog around a new born baby is a stupid and unessasery risk.

You missed my point and I'm not trying to persuade you or anyone to get a dog or change your own perception on what you want for your own child. I will however make corrections on people making incorrect comments about something that involves my profession. Perhaps if someone gave incorrect information on your job role, you may feel the need to educate?

people comparing the risk to knives and swimming etc is ridiculous a knife cant suddenly dive out of a draw and stab LO, a dog CAN snap. even if you are certain it wont it still COULD.

People are just trying to give their viewpoints and its the principle of their comments isnt it?

And no, all dogs, do not snap. I repeat, No, all dogs do not snap.

You have to provoke a placid, well trained dog to make it snap, end of. If you kick and beat a dog, yes it will defend itself. But you know what. from what I've seen at the RSPCA first hand, even then, some dogs do not attack as they are more petrified of their cruel owners than their owner is of them and just cower in a corner.

I'm always curious when people say they don't let their dogs near their children. My dogs are always supervised when around my LO but they go up to see her when she's in her jumper and such. In the mornings my little dog comes to visit her in our bed and gives her kisses.

Do people keep their dogs in different rooms at all times? Not let them within arm's reach of their baby?

Because unless you keep them 10ft apart at all times there's room for accidents.

Yep three dogs and twins so too many for me to watch - we use stair gates ALL the time. Now the boys are nearly three and our girls are aging it's just as much to give them peace than the other way round. I won't take risks with my family end of story x

Oh its so awful :nope: I feel so so sorry for the baby,the dog and the parents...awful:(

Even breeders can't claim to know an animal's intentions 100% of the time. Dogs get scared/threatened/concerned, and it only takes once for a "soft" animal to turn in defensiveness, or even to try and help-- a baby could cry and a dog could think it is helping by trying to lift it by the head as it would its own pup.

I assure you, not one of the dogs I have homed in a family, nor any of the dogs provided for the blind and disabled children have even shown the slightest bit of aggression. A dog will very rarely pick up a baby by its head, it would have to be an exceptionally large breed like a Great Dane and even then a crying baby will a) puzzle a dog and they just stare at it or b) they jsut leave the room. The only dogs that go to a babies head or approach a baby with bad intentions is an aggressive dog. An aggressive dog is similar to violent people in society, they exist, they commit crimes....does that mean you or I are going to go out tomorrow and bash someone over the head, no. Same applies to dogs.

I have an English Staffordshire pup who is nowhere near trained and will never be left unsupervised with my boys. For now, he's in arm's reach at all times, or in a different room altogether. He's learning all about the boys and they are learning all about him, but I know it only takes a few seconds, eg Liam to start crying, and Dozer might decide he doesn't like that at all. I purposely picked a breed known to be child-lovers, but it still doesn't mean I'd ever take a risk and turn my back for even a second.

All that said, it could happen while I'm watching. What I'm saying is, no animal can be trusted 100%. I can talk till I'm blue in the face about never leaving the room but it could happen right in front of my face as I suspect happened to this poor little baby.

Why do you have a dog then? And a breed that can be aggressive if provoked? You make no sense :shrug:

why does any post involving an animal appear to turn into a "save the dog/cat" post.

for gods sake a baby has died, no been killed by a dog. yet another child. can we please remember that this poor baby has lost its life and his parents will be going through sheer hell and whether we believe that dogs do dont snap bite whatever its up t us as mums to protect our babies no matter what.

The implications in this thread that those of us allowing our dogs and babies to be in the same room are putting our child's lives in danger/being careless is seriously ridiculous and not appreciated. :dohh:

Terrible terrible thing that has cost a poor innocent baby it's life, and the poor family involved must be going through some awful times. However, they should not be blamed for this, or called stupid or whatever - this should act as a warning to other dog owners and parents. I am 100% sure that they are going through the worst hell right now, that people like us passing judgement is not going to help.

I have 2 small dogs, who have never shown any aggression in anyway,I do allow them to come into contact with my child, however I only do so when I am sat with them. My little boy is grabbing out now, and beginning to pull at ears and tails. As much as I trust my dogs I believe if my little boy hurt them they could potentially snap out (they have never done it before but in my opinion who knows). I have worked in kennels, for the RSPCA etc previously an even if a dog is incredibly well trained, I personally would not feel confident leaving a baby and dog together.

Rip little baby boy xx

I haven't read everything on this thread but first it is so sad to read another baby has died for no reason other than human error.

Secondly how refreshing to hear Vicky say how she is with her dogs and twins....I wish more people were like this!

I have 3 large dogs and run a dog training school. My baby is now 6 months and the dogs have been introduced so carefully over a long period of time. They are allowed to sniff the baby and they sit calmly whilst she touches their fur but then both go their seperate ways. They are dogs, they probably don't want an unpredictable child messing about with them. I use stairgates and will continue to do so as I put in upon myself to protect my baby and my dogs.

The implications in this thread that those of us allowing our dogs and babies to be in the same room are putting our child's lives in danger/being careless is seriously ridiculous and not appreciated. :dohh:

It's not implied - i personally think you are taking an unnecessary risk if you leave them unsupervised fact

It's not implied - i personally think you are taking an unnecessary risk if you leave them unsupervised fact

Who said unsupervised? :shrug:

I assure you, not one of the dogs I have homed in a family, nor any of the dogs provided for the blind and disabled children have even shown the slightest bit of aggression. A dog will very rarely pick up a baby by its head, it would have to be an exceptionally large breed like a Great Dane and even then a crying baby will a) puzzle a dog and they just stare at it or b) they jsut leave the room. The only dogs that go to a babies head or approach a baby with bad intentions is an aggressive dog. An aggressive dog is similar to violent people in society, they exist, they commit crimes....does that mean you or I are going to go out tomorrow and bash someone over the head, no. Same applies to dogs.

Why do you have a dog then? And a breed that can be aggressive if provoked? You make no sense :shrug:

Do you know anything about English Staffs? If you did, aggressive is the last word you would use when talking about them :rofl: They are bred to be companion dogs. Go and read up on them dear.

As for me making no sense, I make plenty. My dog is a pup. He has to be trained. I got him while the kids were young so that he learns without question that even though my kids are smaller than him, they are still above him in the pack hierachy.

You can NOT predict an animal. I don't care how many dogs you have placed or if you have bred thousands. It only takes one dog and one second, no matter the breed, for something to happen. It's just about using common sense so you have the bare minimum of risk that it will :shrug: That was all I was trying to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->