A week old baby killed by a Jack Russel

It isnt always stupid owners.

ANY dog can snap no matter the training.

Yes but it's stupid owners that walk a dog off its leash near a child's play ground

And stupid owners who let their dog loose around their baby knowing its got an aggressive temperament

A dog doesn't know the difference between wrong and right until its trained to know

Yes but it's stupid owners that walk a dog off its leash near a child's play ground

And stupid owners who let their dog loose around their baby knowing its got an aggressive temperament

A dog doesn't know the difference between wrong and right until its trained to know

Beat me to it.

It is true that any dog is capable of vicious behaviour and doing damage/killing an infant. However it's far less likely if the owner is intelligent and aware of their dog's potential and respects it.

Beat me to it.

It is true that any dog is capable of vicious behaviour and doing damage/killing an infant. However it's far less likely if the owner is intelligent and aware of their dog's potential and respects it.

Im not an idiot and my dog bit me. He was a jack russel x and he bit my face.

No dog can be trusted 100%.

My childhood dog bit once in its 15 years, he knew the difference between right and wrong as much as any dog can but he was in pain which we didnt know about.

You can train a dog extremly well but its still a animal and they can snap for no reason.

It's the owners who allow the dog to get near a child in the first place for it to snap.

My dogs are in the same room as my children supervised but that doesnt mean if they happened to snap they couldn't do hurt them in seconds. Obviosuly i trust them as much as i can trust any animal but i dont think its fair to assume any child hurt by a dog is because the owners have been careless.

Beat me to it.

Im not an idiot and my dog bit me. He was a jack russel x and he bit my face.

No dog can be trusted 100%.

My childhood dog bit once in its 15 years, he knew the difference between right and wrong as much as any dog can but he was in pain which we didnt know about.

You can train a dog extremly well but its still a animal and they can snap for no reason.

Never said you were an idiot. and I agree that no dog can be trusted, but an ignorant owner can do untold damage to a dog compared to an owner who understands their animal. Respecting the very fact that you have said, that they are an animal, can avoid a lot of issues from occurring.

It's the owners who allow the dog to get near a child in the first place for it to snap.

My dogs are in the same room as my children supervised but that doesnt mean if they happened to snap they couldn't do hurt them in seconds. Obviosuly i trust them as much as i can trust any animal but i dont think its fair to assume any child hurt by a dog is because the owners have been careless.

My view won't be popular at all but I think it's careless to have a dog around children if there is even that 0.00001% chance of them snapping. Supervising the dog and child together doesn't prevent injury so the only 100% safe option is not have dogs near children at all. It's just my opinion though before anyone feels the need to tell me off :flower:

There are risks everywhere. I guess we could wrap out kids up and not expose them to any kind of risk but that wouldnt be much of a life.

As a parent you minimise the risks....you train your dogs...you expect respect from them and you teach your children to treat them with respect and most importantly you understand that your dog is at the end of the day an animal.

Nothing in life is 100% safe. Your tv could fall of the unit and hurt your child, walking is dangerous, driving even more so. The benefits of owning a pet in my eyes far out weigh the very small risk (as long as you are raising your dog responsibily of course)

I agree omfgski, I believe that's the only way to keep your children safe from these sort of attacks as pets are unpredictable, ofcourse it can happen outside but a child should feel safe in their own home, I personally wouldn't have any pets around my son but that's just me x

I don't think it's careless. I am not a careless parent. I have taken great care to choose family-suitable dogs, socialize them well, introduce them to my child carefully, train them how to behave around children and watch them when they are with my child. I personally would not have a dog with aggression issues in a home with children as I believe that is unsafe.

This is called managed risk and it is what all of us do every day of our lives. If you cannot face the idea of managed risk, I wonder how you will ever let your child walk down a street without a leash or walk around your house knowing there is a stove in the kitchen and knives in the drawer. It is exactly the same thing.

My children will certainly feel safe in my home with my dogs, and will be safer in general for growing up knowing how to behave around dogs. It is sad to say that a good number of dog attacks are caused by children having no idea how to behave around a dog.

My view won't be popular at all but I think it's careless to have a dog around children if there is even that 0.00001% chance of them snapping. Supervising the dog and child together doesn't prevent injury so the only 100% safe option is not have dogs near children at all. It's just my opinion though before anyone feels the need to tell me off :flower:

There are risks to absolutely everything though I guess you could argue.
----

This is a horrible horrible story. And so tragic. I don't think it's fair to say it's obviously the owners fault (not directed at anyone in particular). Dog's can snap in a nano second. Any situation in life can change in an instant. It's about weighing up the risks.

The daily mail article on this story is HORRENDOUS. Taking pictures from the mother's fb, using old 'tweets' of her to report etc. So disrespectful.

My old dogs vet told me this

" always remember a dog is a wild animal in pets clothing. If it can get above you and rule you it will."

I think even a well trained dog can bite. Animals can b temperamental just as humans can.

I don't think it's careless. I am not a careless parent. I have taken great care to choose family-suitable dogs, socialize them well, introduce them to my child carefully, train them how to behave around children and watch them when they are with my child. I personally would not have a dog with aggression issues in a home with children as I believe that is unsafe.

This is called managed risk and it is what all of us do every day of our lives. If you cannot face the idea of managed risk, I wonder how you will ever let your child walk down a street without a leash or walk around your house knowing there is a stove in the kitchen and knives in the drawer. It is exactly the same thing.

My children will certainly feel safe in my home with my dogs, and will be safer in general for growing up knowing how to behave around dogs. It is sad to say that a good number of dog attacks are caused by children having no idea how to behave around a dog.

This rings true for me. When im walking my labrador near school kicking out time so many kids come running up to him and just start stroking him. He is fine with it obviously but not all dogs are. Alot of these kids are with their parents and i have never heard one say "no ask first".

My girls will be taught to ask if they want to approach a dog and never approach one without a owner there.

I have heard alot of pet owners say how their dog is harmless and would never bite or nip.

To me that seems incredible dangerous.

I am well aware that my lovely cuddly placid lab could do some very serious harm in a very short amount of time. It seems crazy not to know that about every single dog.

Agree 100% for those last two posts special kala. I haaaate when little kids charge at my retriever. Sure hes a push over BUT WHAT IF HE WASN'T? And then my baby would get blamed if he attacked. He is on a leash for a reason, ask before you pet.

Such a sad story.

My parents dalmation is as soft as the proverbial but I would never ever leave him unsupervised with my children or my children unsupervised with him. My 2yr old loves him to bits, is constantly cuddling up to him and they are very protective of each other, that said all it takes is her tugging an ear too hard or poking him in the eye... whatever! He's an animal, logic and rationale don't come into his thinking no matter how dominant his "master" is

An animal is not an inanimate object.

Neither is a child. Children are probably more unpredictable than dogs.

I don't have any problem with you not being comfortable having dogs in your home. What I object to is your assertion that anyone who has dogs in their home and does not keep them segregated permanently from their children is careless.

Dang, never have animals around your children? That makes me kind of sad. I grew up with animals and absolutely loved them. I can't wait for my LO to be old enough to interact a bit with the dogs because I'm sure she'll love them too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->