Abnormal smear advice?

angelandbump

Working Mum :o)
Reaction score
Hi,
I was due to have my first smear last year but I was pregnant so had it 2weeks ago today.
Yesterday I received a letter saying due to abnormal cells, I need to go into hospital for a biopsy to be taken and possible treatment on April 25th (day before my 26th birthday).
Then today I revived another letter saying I have high grade dyskaryosis and most likely will need treatment.

Can anyone please tell me what to expect? Also, if anyone has undergone any treatment, what does that include? I'm still breastfeeding so wanted to know if there can be any effects.

I tried googling but it basically brings up cancer (which I doubt it is) xx

I know abnormal paps are very common for most women at one point in their lives- pretty much all my female friends have had one-- most had a biopsy (myself included) and then just regular checkups every 6mos for a year or two after that to make sure things resolve themselves. Which, more often than not, they do.

Sometimes, if there are enough abnormal cells, treatment can include scraping those cells out in hopes it heals and the body is better able to get rid of the rest. But every case can vary-- although I've known women that went through that too, and all was fine in the end.

Sorry I have no real help- hopefully things are sorted soon hun. Can you call and talk to your OB for clarification? I'd be upset if I didn't at least get a call to explain and just a note in the mail? I only get notes if all is good- if there are any concerns, my OB always follows up with a call or appt. Least it's good for reassurance and answers. :hugs:

I know abnormal paps are very common for most women at one point in their lives- pretty much all my female friends have had one-- most had a biopsy (myself included) and then just regular checkups every 6mos for a year or two after that to make sure things resolve themselves. Which, more often than not, they do.

Sometimes, if there are enough abnormal cells, treatment can include scraping those cells out in hopes it heals and the body is better able to get rid of the rest. But every case can vary-- although I've known women that went through that too, and all was fine in the end.

Sorry I have no real help- hopefully things are sorted soon hun. Can you call and talk to your OB for clarification? I'd be upset if I didn't at least get a call to explain and just a note in the mail? I only get notes if all is good- if there are any concerns, my OB always follows up with a call or appt. Least it's good for reassurance and answers. :hugs:

Thank you for your reply. I know a few ladies who needed their smears repeated but they all had low grade and didn't require any further treatment.
I did the worst thing by googling symptoms... Never again

I will call my GP tomorrow for advice because the leaflets included in the letter are just an overload of info.

Xx

Yea- google can be your best friend or your worst enemy... just call your GP and get advise and even a referral if you feel it's best! I'm sure all will be fine :)

Please don't worry I had exactly the same thing last year

When I went in it was no worse really than a smear, they froze some stuff and took a biopsy. After I had period like pains and bled for a while

Please please don't worry it's not cancer x

Please don't worry I had exactly the same thing last year

When I went in it was no worse really than a smear, they froze some stuff and took a biopsy. After I had period like pains and bled for a while

Please please don't worry it's not cancer x

Thank you :flower:

In my head I know I'm being silly worrying but I am a natural worrier :dohh:. I think it wouldn't have been so bad if I wasn't displaying some of the symptoms. The doctor called me on Friday to put my mind at rest too saying when my smear was carried out, if the nurse saw something of concern, she would have said.

Xx

Hey sweety,

I have just logged in to ask very similar, I am 25, with 2 children (age 6 and 3) I got a letter through last November to have a smear, I very stupidly put it off, untill someone at work made me ring and back, I went a month ago and had it done, I didnt think much of it then, carried on as normal until last week I got a letter through saying exactly the same, high grade dsykaryosis, severe cell changes, please call to have a colposcopy. It was both my childrens birthdays last weekend, we went to Butlins for it (plus easter) so I again, stupidly put off ringing till we got back, Tuesday this week.

I rang and they wanted me in straight away, I booked an appointmeent to go in yesterday.

I was so scared, I am a single mum of 2, I didn't know what to expect, I got there, and they was so nice, so lovely, I had to wait in a waiting room, and they called me in, there was 3 nurses and a male consultant, they told me to take off all clothes down below, so I did, had to put my legs into stirrups and they talked through what was happening, I could see on the tv screen everything he was doing as they use a camera, he put the solution on and said if I have abnormal cells they will go white. They all went white. I was shaking, felt sick. He then talked through the biopsy, and said he was turning the screen off as could be a little hard to watch, that in its self didnt hurt much... he took two lots of cell samples, he said I was bleeding a bit, so spent some time trying to stop the bleed, then I was left to go into recovery, cos' I bled he wanted me to stay a little while to make sure it stopped okay.

He said there and then I will definately need treatment, he is sending the biopsy off to the lab and will contact me with what type of treatment I will need.

I felt fine after, a bit sore down below but nothing major. I am more upset at the fact I need to go and have my coil taken out as can't have treatment with it in.

The waiting bit now sucks, dreading it all to be honest, I work full time, I am on my own and dont get sick pay so dreading taking more time off work... it all sucks.

Inbox me, I could do with someone to talk to etc, I have heard from many people its quite common etc, but when you are going through it yourself, its a scary, stressful time.

xxxx

Hiya Cazza,
I hope your okay. I was also at the hospital yesterday and things didn't go to plan. The appointment was 40minutes late so I was all worked up. Then i sat down and she said that I required treatment (a loop excision) and a biopsy.
I laid on the bed, they struggled to keep the clamp in as my muscles down their kept pushing it out. Then the Local anaesthetic was uncomfortable but not painful. Then when she started doing the loop excision, i tensed up causing her to cut another part of me causing horrible pain and bleeding. I ended up being rushed to theatre, loosing 600ml of blood and nearly required a blood transfusion but they said they managed to stem the bleeding in time. Luckily I was knocked out so the rest of the procedure was carried out safely and I've ended up with dissolvable stitches placed up there.
On a good note,she said there is no cancer on the cervix yet but she thinks I will need further treatment again which she will discuss with me when my results come back.

I am so relieved there is no cancer because for two weeks I thought the worse. I hope your treatment goes smoother than mine. Keep me updated on your progress xxx

Hey hun,
:( I am so sorry, it seems like you had such a hard horrible time, how are you now? They are getting me back in soon to discuss treatment, they mentioned loop and lazer.

Do you have to go for a repeat smear test soon sweet? im so confused about it all, xxx

Hey hun,
:( I am so sorry, it seems like you had such a hard horrible time, how are you now? They are getting me back in soon to discuss treatment, they mentioned loop and lazer.

Do you have to go for a repeat smear test soon sweet? im so confused about it all, xxx

I'm okay thank you :flower:
I need to wait for the results to come back to determine the next course of action but if all comes back clear then I think I will need to go back in 6months to a year.

How are you feeling in your self? X

I am doing okay, plodding along, it takes alot to get me down or worried lol, I will be fine till I get the results back, then will probably be okay till the day I have to go in for treatment, then I will be a mess haha!

I have my app booked in for the 5th June to have the LLETZ, im starting to feel a little nervous :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->