About you and your tastes

Babybug

Reaction score
It has occured to me there is such a variety of types of people on here with loads of different opinions fir dufferent reasons.

I think we have our names
Boy - Christopher Anthony N
Girl - Stephanie Anne N
Big sis is Eloise Jennifer N

Tell me what you think but also where you live age etc and what sort if names you like

I am 33 English and I like traditional strong sounding names not too popular but not too out there

I think they're very traditional and timeless names.
I live in England, I'm 24 and like names that are not popular but not so out there no one would know how to pronounce them!

I'm 24, from USA and think they are very common timeless names. I much prefer unusual, uncommon names with quirky spellings.

Faves at the moment:
Neveya (nuh-vey-uh)
Mikaelyn (mick-ay-lynn)
Genevieve

Xavier
Juddsen
Oaklen

Im 24 nearly 25 from northern england

I like:

old western names from the late 19th century (like cowboys and outlaws)
I quite like unisex name (it adds a sharper feel like Kennedy for girls and Dana for boys)
I like J and K names a lot (Justin, Jasper, Jett, Kennedy, Katie, Kitaen etc... they just sound nice)

I dislike:

childish names (Poppy, Daisy, Archie etc...)
southern 'posh' names (Cameron, Jacob, Alexander etc... prefer the sharper shorter versions like Jake or Alex)
non phonic name (like all these I have Irish heritage name)
'oe' names (Chloe, Zoe etc...I just think they are a harsh sound especially for girls)

not my taste names:

fashion names (like sticking lynn ect... on the end of everything)
'boring' names (the names that where common when we where young like Rachel or Louise)

I like Eloise the 'E' adds a more exotic feel to a simple name the others aren't my taste as they fall into the last one but I think they are perfectly acceptable names and wont think 'urg... that's horrible' when meeting someone with a child called that its just not what id choose

I'm 32 (eek the oldest so far!) and UK born. I like traditional 'old man' and 'old lady' names eg

Evelyn
Iris
Lily
Martha

Jack
Fred
George
Alfred

I have a Jack and a Freddie who is 'Frederick' on his birth certificate. I also like flower names for a girl - we would have had Lily Martha, and still may use that name if we ever have another child and she's a girl xx

I love Eloise, and Christopher and Stephanie are nice, solid names :). I love Christopher shortened to Kit.

I'm 27, I live in Devon (UK). I like old fashioned names and also nature inspired names (although I'd never use the nature-y names I like as I don't think my kids could pull them off :haha:).
Boys names I like are:
Albert
Rupert
Sebastian
Fox
Leif
Girls names I like are:
Martha
Audrey
Isabel
Mabel
Lydia

My children are called Theodore (Ted) and Violet.

Love both your children's names eleanor ace!

I think your names are classic and not necessarily my style but perfectably acceptable nice names. I know a lot of people my age with these names (im 29 and from ireland) so im thinking they are maybe popular 80s names.

I like quite old fashioned but classic names - isabella, annabel, matilda, maisie, alfie, freddie, oliver

I'm 24 and in the UK.

For girls, I'm fond of old lady names like Violet, Iris, Elsie, Martha etc.

For boys, I don't know. I hate almost all of them. Liking Jack and Kit though. And River. I think.

I honestly hate 90% of names. It's a nightmare :)

I'm 23, from UK.
I like most of the Welsh and Scottish Gaelic names, though the latter has less options, as those are my heritage.
But I also love a lot of other names. I like good old classics like Edward, Alfred, Matilda, Winifred etc. I also love modern nature inspired names like Rowan, Ocean etc. And some mythology based names like Phoenix, Thor etc.
I only hate 'uniquely spelled' names or completely made-up names that no one can spell or pronounce. I hate those. They look written by someone who doesn't know how to read & write. Absolute nightmare for the child.

I'm 28 from Australia.

I like names which are established and easy to spell, without being too popular, with a slight lean toward European heritage. I quite like my name, Elizabeth, though I remember at school whenever I said my name to someone new, they would always say "that's my middle name!)

Unfortunately for me, hubby's family has a tradition of boys names starting with D, and we are quite limited in options as most of our male friends start with D. I like Dante (hubby said no as he doesn't like the AE sound on the end) and Darian (hubby said too game of thrones- we have never watched it so no idea if this is true!) , Hubby likes Dax (to me it doesn't go with our last name which starts with an S) but I think we have compromised on Dylan (middle names to be decided, but I'm pushing for James Robert, which are both family names).

If I wasn't limited to D for a boy, I would choose something like: Roy, Roman,Charles/Charlie, Mattias, Victor, Campbell, Maxwell.

For a girl we have chosen Imogen, again no middle name decided, but I'm thinking Juliet.

Other girls names I like are Seraphina, Violet, Delphina, Tilda, Marina, Ivy, Vera, Yvette.

I'm not a fan of hyphenated names, most boys names for girls, Mc-something names, swapped vowels/ added y's or names with an added Lyn on the end eg Gracelyn.

It is very hard to choose a name though- something they will have forever!

Its great to find out more about the people on here and where they are coming from with their naming decisions.

Hi, im 27 from uk

girls i like
hallie
sienna
gabriella
quinn

boys

cohen
oliver
logan
lennon

I like more classic names, nothing that's too crazy or weird. I don't understand why someone would name their kid something they'll constantly have to correct someone on. Either on how it's pronounced or spelled.

I have a pretty easy name, but my parents decided to switch just one silly letter and I have spent my whole life correcting people on the spelling. And occasionally the pronunciation.

Girl names I like are:
Amelia
Isabelle
Evelyn
Catherine

Boy names I like are:
Alexander
Oliver (I really just like this name whether it's the male or female version of it)
Christopher

It's really tough actually, my husband and I both agree on disliking A LOT of names out there, but can't agree on liking many. We like those names up there, but wouldn't want any of them for our first son.

Oh, and I'm 26 from USA

I love Eloise, and Christopher and Stephanie are nice, solid names :). I love Christopher shortened to Kit.

I'm 27, I live in Devon (UK). I like old fashioned names and also nature inspired names (although I'd never use the nature-y names I like as I don't think my kids could pull them off :haha:).
Boys names I like are:
Albert
Rupert
Sebastian
Fox
Leif
Girls names I like are:
Martha
Audrey
Isabel
Mabel
Lydia

We have very similar taste I think!

I'm 23, from the North West, and for boys I like what I think are quite posh old fashioned sort of names. I kind of imagine them to be names of (maybe half French) public school boys who go on to be writers, though I don't know why! :dohh: I love Humphrey, Rupert, Jasper, Benjamin, Alfie, Bernard, William, Felix, Hugo...

For girls I love quirky names but ones that are- or I think could become- classics. The public school/writer analogy fits these in my head too :haha: For example: Violet, Indigo, Thea, Lyra, Beatrix, Frances, Olivièr, Plum (yes I know :dohh: ), Clara....

I'm 24 and I live in the US. My style is very old classic names that are uncommon and not used very much. I am a freak about names being spelled properly.

Boys names I like are:
Albert
Rupert
Sebastian
Fox
Leif
Girls names I like are:
Martha
Audrey
Isabel
Mabel
Lydia

We have very similar taste I think!

I'm 23, from the North West, and for boys I like what I think are quite posh old fashioned sort of names. I kind of imagine them to be names of (maybe half French) public school boys who go on to be writers, though I don't know why! :dohh: I love Humphrey, Rupert, Jasper, Benjamin, Alfie, Bernard, William, Felix, Hugo...

For girls I love quirky names but ones that are- or I think could become- classics. The public school/writer analogy fits these in my head too :haha: For example: Violet, Indigo, Thea, Lyra, Beatrix, Frances, Olivièr, Plum (yes I know :dohh: ), Clara....

You must have similar taste to my SIL - two of my nieces are called Thea and Beatrix! X

I think the names you have picked out are common, traditional names. I'm 28 from the US and I like the more uncommon names. Some if the names we have picked out are actually after baseball players as we are huge sports freaks. For the most part I don't prefer names that start with j r or k(even though I have a few). I really like names starting with l or c for the most part.

For boys I like:
Casen or Case
Colten
Holten
Colby
Lane
Micah (common)
Logan (common)
Luke (common)

For girls I like:
Laken
Kinsley or Kinley
Adelina-Liney for short
Bristol
Kathlin
Ember
Lane
Micah
Annabell

I like more classic names, nothing that's too crazy or weird. I don't understand why someone would name their kid something they'll constantly have to correct someone on. Either on how it's pronounced or spelled.

Sometimes it's not for want of trying :haha: my mum named me something "short and sweet" that she thought I'd never have a hard time with.

... in reality, I've spent my life saying "it's i, not a y - I'm a girl, not a guy." :dohh:

Sometimes it's not for want of trying :haha: my mum named me something "short and sweet" that she thought I'd never have a hard time with.

... in reality, I've spent my life saying "it's i, not a y - I'm a girl, not a guy." :dohh:

are you called Toni by any chance lol

27 year old from Canada here.
I also like traditional, solid names. I like some new-age names, but I find there are so many of them used these days that classrooms are full of more odd names than traditional names because everyone is trying to be different. It takes the uniqueness out of names that are unique, imo.
For sone reason, I like 1 syllable names for boys.
I think tomboyish names on girls are cute (Reilly, Taylor, etc) In general I like unisex names.
Also usually a fan of earthy, floral or nature names, such as Willow.
Names I love:
Matilda
Vanessa
Madeleine
Autumn

I don't like Mc-names, I think they're awful. I don't like names with made up spellings. And while I like some place names, I definitely draw the line somewhere. I hate London for example.
I also find there are so many soft, feminine names on the top 20 for girls. Some are pretty, but I prefer a stronger sounding female name if that makes sense.
Oh and I don't like names that sound like they're for a pet. Lol
A few examples of names I'm not a fan of:
Libby
Millie
Mckenna

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member