Accupuncture ladies-from TTC to BFP

:wave: hi tryfor2. No its not weird to read threads you don't write in, I read a lot of threads I never wrote on. I did always wonder what others were thinking when they clicked on the "acupuncture" thread and 99% of the time we weren't actually talking about acupuncture. :)

Hi tryfor2 - loved your post. Despite being 37 and trying for over a year, I panic about not being ready. Your post really reassured me. Please join in, especially as I think we must be due around the same time!

I'm starting to freak out about the birth now too. Trying to practice yoga now to relieve all the discomforts. I've found pregnancy quite hard going.

Melly - I've read that spotting is normal too. Someone on the august sunflowers pregnancy thread had really bad spotting and is still ok - I think it's only when accompanied by strong cramps like Ging says that there is more cause for concern. But don't hesitate to call the doctors if you are worried. It is so stressful! The first tri you just worry about hitting the 14 week mark, second tri you get the scans and start worrying about health of your baby, 3rd tri you start worrying about the birth and are still worrying about the baby!

It gets easier when you feel them move.

tryfor2: Thank you for the lovely words and congratulations to you, too! I always knew that I would have a child later in life; mostly because I wanted to enjoy my early years of marriage (12 years to be exact) with my husband alone, traveling and building careers. We were simply too busy to even think about it, but I have no regrets waiting. For me, it's still surreal and I think after I'm past the first trimester I will embrace it more. I keep thinking of all the things that can go wrong. Thanks to your advice, I should just enjoy it more.

Jazz bird Tryfor2- when did you start showing? I'm 14 weeks, already in maternity clothes, and feel like this bump is bigger than it should be. Is it still bloat? Two of my coworkers are pregnant too and are both ahead of me by a month and two months and I look bigger than them, by a lot.

Thanks ladies...I'm so excited to have had great news at this first ultrasound. i was sooo nervous.

Tryfor.. thanks for your words of support. So happy for your 2nd one!

Hey Ging - I bloated terribly in first tri. I was in mat tights with non mat dresses by about 10 weeks. I found the waist band on normal tights really uncomfortable ... I think I bought mat jeans around week 16 and started wearing mat tops at week 20. I guess difference between bloat and baby is that bloat is worse in evenings and tends to go down over night.

I wouldn't worry too much - everyone carries differently and puts on weight differently. I put on very little weight in first tri - quite a bit in second and suddenly I'm shooting up the scales and my bump is really growing now. It does feel very scary!

Just wear what makes you feel comfortable. As long as you eat sensibly and exercise moderately - I don't think you can go wrong. My diet was horrific with morning sickness. I ate rubbish for weeks on end as veg and protein would make me hurl!

Ps but would defo recommend shopping for some non underwired bras. I got mine at 16 weeks but should have done it earlier. Get a proper fitting too as they'll advise on sizes that have room to grow.

Thanks so much for the warm welcome ladies!

Melly2: I've heard that spotting throughout an entire pregnancy can be normal for some. I think it's only when it's accompanied by other symptoms (like worsening cramps) that it is cause for concern. I hope it tapers off for you though--seeing red while pregnant is a whole different worry! And as far as enjoying your pregnancy goes, I should clarify: pregnancy is no picnic (last time I was utterly unprepared for all the symptoms--I truly had no idea, as none of my close friends had had kids) and it is totally natural to be anxious, especially during your first trimester. It's bloody nerve-wracking! You've worked so hard just to get here and then you're on tenterhooks at least till week 14…. Between that and the symptoms and hormones, it's a lot. I spent my first trimester of my last pregnancy googling miscarriage rates pretty much daily. I drove myself bonkers. And we were keeping it a secret so I had nobody to discuss it with beside my DH, who was useless. It didn't help that I happen to know quite a few women who had endured horror stories (in my twisted little brain just knowing them made me more susceptible to having my child die too--nuts, I know). I had a tough time mentally last time (major depression, anxiety etc.), so I guess compared to that this pregnancy is a breeze (though tougher physically--not bc of my age I don't think--just an entirely different pregnancy [it's true what they say about every pregnancy being different BTW--for me, at least]). So don't feel like you should be "enjoying it more"--you're still in the hard stage. Things should ease up for you once you hit your second trimester.

Jazzbird: Wow, a birth buddy! I've been told both Aug.1 and 3, so who knows? Doesn't really matter as only 5% of women apparently give birth on their due dates. My son was 6 days late. And even though this is #2 for me, I still wonder whether I am ready! Yes, I've experienced "it" once so far, but every pregnancy, birth, PP period, baby etc. is different, so no matter how many pregnancies you've had, you never REALLY know what to expect, ifkwim… I was terribly freaked out about the prospect of giving birth last time and would wake in the middle of the night thinking, "Holy f___ I've got to push this thing out of my hooha!" The best advice I can give is to go into it with an open mind. Things went differently than I thought (both better and worse), and childbirth was the hardest thing I've ever done, but you feel like a superstar after and I can't tell you how worth it it is. Our bodies are amazing and shockingly resilient. By the time I left the hospital I was calculating how soon I could have another! (Truly.)

And it's true what you say about the worrying… After 1st tri the miscarriage worry morphs into something else and on and on. Preparation for parenthood, I think. Wait till you've got a toddler running headlong into traffic! I think it's nature's way of easing us in gently! But the anxiety does settle down a lot once you start feeling your baby move. That's great reassurance.

Gingmg: Yes, try not to compare yourself. It's a losing battle, as you'll always find somebody bigger and somebody smaller than you. There truly is no "normal" in pregnancy--even for you, if that makes sense. My bump is different this time and I find myself trying to compare myself…to myself (last time), which is also a losing battle. My body is different two years later, having already had a child, carrying a genetically different child etc. But to answer your question, I started showing (not a bump, but tenting my shirts a little) at 17 weeks my first pregnancy and around 15 weeks this time. I had a HUGE amount of bloat this time too though. Your bump first thing in the morning is your true bump. By bedtime I always look WAY bigger (even now, at 28 weeks). And like jazzbird says, weight gain varies, doesn't mean one way is better than any other. Our bodies will just do what they'll do, it seems. Just eat well and you'll put on what you'll put on. I won't get into it now as I am already writing way too much, but I had a really hard time gaining last time (I'll pause here so you can all direct glares at me!), to the point of getting guilt trips and lectures from my dr. In the end I had a good sized, healthy son. But this time I find myself idealizing my paltry weight gain of last pregnancy (despite it worrying my dr.) and have been struggling with the fact that my body is gaining FAR more easily this pregnancy. It's gotten to the point where my OB no longer weighs me and has forbidden me to weigh myself. My dr. says it's not about the weight you gain but how well you eat (within reason--I tend to get anal about nutritional guidelines while pregnant) and whether your baby is developing properly (which they'll gauge via u/s and fundal height measurements).

Agh, sorry about the length of this! Brevity is not my forte.

Had my first ultrasound today. Everything looked great. Even a good little heartbeat! What a relief. My doctor said she wasn't concerned with the blood, unless it was a lot and with some cramping. Makes me feel a lot better though.

Melly- awesome news!

Jazzbird- wait, what's this about underwire bras?

Melly - wooooohooooo! Congrats! Another milestone completed!

Tryfor2 - lovely to read about your experiences.

Ging - I was advised to avoid underwired bras as it interferes with milk ducts. I think it's more relevant the later you are in pregnancy but as soon as I went for a fitting they suggested I get non underwired bras which I'm now wearing. God they're ugly!

Running out of iPhone battery - will post more later

Xxx

Melly2--how wonderful. That's worth a partial sigh of relief, right? This pregnancy, doctors were so negative, saying "if" the pregnancy continues, "if" it's viable etc. (despite my not having had problems in the past). Each scan and HR check brought more relief, as it will you, I'm sure. Wait till you hit your v-day--then it will really seem real. Twenty-four weeks may seem like ages, but it will be here before you know it!

I was curious if anyone is using a midwife? My husband and I are meeting with our midwife today, which I'm excited about. It's at a birthing center, not a hospital, and it's all midwives with the exception of one OB, if needed.

In uk antenatal and post natal care is run by midwives. In fact the birth is midwife led with support from doctors where necessary. So I've met mine a few times now. I'm not sure what I think to uk system! I'm just starting a natal hypnotherapy course to help me give birth. I'm scared that too much hospital intervention leads to too many problems but then again if something unexpected happens I would want to be in hospital. Tricky!

I'm using an OB. Last pregnancy I did shared care between my GP (up to 32 weeks) and then an OB. I don't know, there are pros and cons to each--I love my OB. She's pretty relaxed but can be aggressive when necessary. I looked into midwifery last time but the ones around here were pretty clear about patients having to be in agreement with their views on medication and intervention (lack thereof) and that turned me off because I was pretty sure I wanted an epidural.

I know doctors get a bad rap for rising c-section rates (quicker, easier for them), but I didn't have that experience. I pushed for almost five hours--believe me, I was praying for a c-section! I did end up having some intervention--vacuum extraction and an episiotomy but it was very much needed. I had a stiff perineum and my vaginal opening would not stretch large enough to get my son's big head through. Episiotomies aren't often done anymore (tears heal better/faster) but the pressure was so great my dr. said I was going to "tear everywhere." So I very much appreciated her intervening. I know several people who had horrid tears and had to have reconstructive surgery afterwards, so I'd rather a little snip than that. I was up sitting crossed legged within hours.

Personally, I would not feel comfortable giving birth at home. Even if I were using a MW I'd want to be in a hospital because emergencies happen. My SIL had emergency CS for both her children. Had she been at home her babies likely would have died--it was that dire. I don't say that to scare anyone (there are plenty of perfectly safe, healthy home births, obviously), but to illustrate why I feel the need to be in a hospital setting.

Jazzbird: I'm sure it varies between countries, hospitals, doctors, patients, but I'm pretty certain you can say no to interventions as long as it doesn't endanger you or your baby (according to your dr.). In my case, I had been in labour and pushing for so long they were worried the baby would become distressed (necessitating a CS), hence the vacuum extraction. Had I been staunchly against it, they likely would have let me try a bit longer, but I was so exhausted I just wanted it to be over. But it's your body, so I think generally you get final say--within reason.

Also, I've heard really great things about hypnobirthing. My friend used it during her drug-free home birth and said that while she doesn't think it lessened the pain, it helped her remain calm and focused.

I'm afraid that I'm definitely miscarrying. I have horrible cramps and more bleeding. I just think this one is not viable. :-(

Melly- OH NO!!! I hope you are wrong. Huge :hugs: to you. I am so sorry. But you just saw the heartbeat, usually miscarriages happen much later after the baby has passed. I really don't know anything about anything, but I really hope you are wrong. Maybe the bleeding is like before? How bad are the cramps?

I have an ultrasound early tomorrow morning to see what's going on. To add insult to injury, my in-laws are here for the weekend and literally just when they arrived is when I started bleeding! I'm trying best to put on a good face and smile through these cramps know what is happening. We were planning to tell them, but of course, we're definitely not now.

That's terrible Melly2. I'm very sorry. It's not fair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->