Acsess to nursing

MissRhead

Reaction score
Hi all not sure if this is the right place to post this but didn't know where eles I could. Ok, so I'm just wondering if anyone has done their acsess to nursing course? I've applied for September. I have really bad gcse's, does this matter, I have just completed my level 2 manicure and pedicure at the same college (big change I know lol) would this go any way in helping me get on? Also I'm a single mum my son is 11 months old, i've heard the work load is quite intense, do you honestly think it will be manageable? I want to work towards being a social worker, if I get on and pass the course what would be my next route? Thanks in advance x

I started an access course when i was 19 and tbh i dont think they would ever turn away someone .. only people who maybe completely lack the drive to be there iykwim.

The interviw process usually involves writting a piece on why you want to do the course and what you intend to do in the future .. thy thn look at this and chck basic grammar and writting skills etc.

It doesnt matter what your GCSE's are .. but the work involved is at level 3 so it is going to be demanding and tough but i imagine your tutors would guide you in the right direction .. as long as you put the effort in you will be fine. I was fulltime and this was three days a week 9 - 3 basis but all colleges will be different.

I take it you want to do a degree, id invstigate all Uni's you are interested in ask them if they accept the course and how many units you need to be accepted .. then you will have an idea doing the access course what you really need to achieve.

The access course includes level 2 maths and english - this is your equivilant of GCSE which is a must for Uni.

Thanks for the reply. I'm still thinking it all over really, would you have to go straight to uni after completing the course? I'm just worrying and wondering if I should wait till my sons abit older xx

From my experience looking around most uni's said to have completed it and passed in past 5 years xx

Each college is different on their intake qualifications. When i did mine, i only needed to prove that i had a good level of maths, english etc. Some universities do their own access to nursing & midwifery courses although they tend to ask for gcse/standard grade passes.
Just a warning though ladies, if you plan to take this course make sure you get a guarantee that you will be accepted by the uni at the completion of the course. I'm still trying to get my uni placement and i finished my course 2 years ago. General nursing is usually a lot easier to get a place for than midwifery.

The course was good though and i thoroughly enjoyed it.

Im currently doing the access course part time over 2 years and in my first year

I had to have an interview it was a maths test and then i had to write a piece on a famous person and what we would talk about over dinner. I think that was to check you can write at level 3 like checking grammar etc.

Don't worry about your GCSEs, depending where you are applying for uni then alot of them accept Key Skills Maths & English which you can do as part of your course if you haven't a C or above in your GCSE.

id check what the uni's requirement is of where you are wanting to apply because I know Northumberland have just increased their entry level and if you don't have a C or above in maths they are no longer accepting key skills

If you need to you can do your Maths and English at a college or 6th form college for a small fee.

Hope that helps

xx

Worth mentioning that Nursing courses at University are now all degree level (as of September up here), so the entry requirements will have changed. Might be worth talking to the college to find out if they will have any additional requirements etc in order to meet this change :)

Good luck if you decided to go this year :hugs:

When I did my Access course a couple years back, we ran along side a nursing course (Had Biology together). I know they offered the equivilant of GSCE English and Maths alongside for free, there was also help available for computer use.

Also the interview part is in two, the "test" and the actual interview with those "in charge". If I remember rightly from the chats I had with my Bio tutor and others on the course afterwards it is rare they turn people away because it is set up for people wanting to better themselves, and they want to help you achieve that.

Other than helping to get a qualification it also is a good chance to mix with other humans lol. I did mine when I not really long had my eldest daughter, I was quite isolated in myself and while nervous as stink I had a great time and made some good friends.

Hi all not sure if this is the right place to post this but didn't know where eles I could. Ok, so I'm just wondering if anyone has done their acsess to nursing course? I've applied for September. I have really bad gcse's, does this matter, I have just completed my level 2 manicure and pedicure at the same college (big change I know lol) would this go any way in helping me get on? Also I'm a single mum my son is 11 months old, i've heard the work load is quite intense, do you honestly think it will be manageable? I want to work towards being a social worker, if I get on and pass the course what would be my next route? Thanks in advance x

I completed my Level in Nail Services (aritificial nails) but its what I wanted to do at the time. They cant turn you away for having a change of career.

If you are willing to knuckle down and get on with your work then I would say yes. I started my access course in September and these last 2 weekends are the only weekends since September we've had with no work/essays/presentations.

If your wanting to be a social worker I think the next route would be Uni ... have a look at the Uni's your interested in and check they accept the access course ... most do but just check. Good luck :flower: xx

Ive applied to do access to nursing in september, at my local college you have to have an a-c in english and maths to do it so im redoing my english and maths now

You definately need to check with your local college as I didn't need any qualifications to get on my course xx

wow the difference is what u are expected to have is almost unfair :/ cant be helped tho i suppose! i have all c and above except in maths! so they wouldn't let me on my access course.. and they also wouldn't let me retake my maths GCSE at the college! charming! .. you have to have at least a c in maths to retake it at my local college ... IF I HAD THE C I WOULDN'T BE RETAKING IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

sorry bit of a rant :( but yes deffo check ahead with you're uni of choice,also for social work as far as i am aware you need to have experience to get onto the degree x

The access course im doing isnt access to nursing, its access to higher education and I will be applying to university to do Childrens Nursing in September.

xx

The accss course itself includes level 2 english and maths which is GCSE equivilant .. its abit weird they ask for C beforehand .. the course is designd for adults wanting a pathway into uni .. bizare.

^^ that was my argument... my college were very rude about it all tbh.. and basically said it wasn't for time wasters/people who couldn't keep up!!!!! they mostly took people that had really good GCSE's and some even had an A level or two .. which is great for them! but they prob could of got into uni the normal way... and ive been left to do nothing :/ ... not even the option to re-do my GCSE to get on the course... lol

ALSO .. i cant take the A levels to get in the "traditional way" cos they wont let me take ANY A level not even history/English(which i have one A and one B in).. without the C in maths .. which they wont let me get ... ahah :/ :( xxx

^^ that was my argument... my college were very rude about it all tbh.. and basically said it wasn't for time wasters/people who couldn't keep up!!!!! they mostly took people that had really good GCSE's and some even had an A level or two .. which is great for them! but they prob could of got into uni the normal way... and ive been left to do nothing :/ ... not even the option to re-do my GCSE to get on the course... lol

I dont know how old you are, but im over 24 so if i went to milton keynes college they would charge me £1500 to do the course .. if i do it from this website it will cost roughly £800 .. obv it would be learning on your own takes alot of willpower.

It's QAA recognised which most if not all uni's accept.

https://www.distancelearningcentre.com/a2nursing.php

It's an option anyways xx

wow the difference is what u are expected to have is almost unfair :/ cant be helped tho i suppose! i have all c and above except in maths! so they wouldn't let me on my access course.. and they also wouldn't let me retake my maths GCSE at the college! charming! .. you have to have at least a c in maths to retake it at my local college ... IF I HAD THE C I WOULDN'T BE RETAKING IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

sorry bit of a rant :( but yes deffo check ahead with you're uni of choice,also for social work as far as i am aware you need to have experience to get onto the degree x

It is so unfair, ive got 2 colleges near me, ive applied for both the one id prefer to go to as it is easier and closer to get to is the one that requires a-c in english and maths but the other college has no entry requirements for it. Have you got any other college near you that doesnt require the a-c?

nope its the same college spread out over the nearest two towns lol! like the same one with different bases... so unfair, there is Northampton college but thats 40 mins away :/ and i wouldn't be able to find the time to get there and back (without a car)
It is so upsetting tho i was on a HND in Animal science a few years ago! straight after leaving school cos i managed to blag my maths lol ... but i left due to health reasons and would of carried straight on onto a degree if i hadn't left.
and now i can't seem to get back into education! the problem is i have NO math GCSE :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->