ADHD can now be diagnosed as young as 4

Thank god for medical professionals....

Actually, yes, some people can be more ignorant than others on a topic. :wacko:

Anyways, I am really REALLY scared now of my children having educators who don't believe in things that are scientifically proven. At least I can thank you for opening my eyes to that fact, because I never in a million years would have thought I would encounter a teacher that doesn't believe in things like ADHD.

exactly why I said earlier in this thread, that some of the most ignorant people I have met regarding my daughter's autism, has been teachers...and one who made our lives pretty much a living hell...until karma stepped in and she snapped her achilles tendon and she has been off for almost a year now...and then got a great teacher whom I love. Not ALL teachers are misguided, but there are some...and it is beyond frustrating.

Who would have ever guessed that you and I would ever agree in a debate thread? :rofl: :rofl:

I think that a poor upbringing can easily lead to a child being misdiagnosed with ADHD. And unfortunately, I think these cases outweigh the legitimate cases.

Poor upbringing also leads to children becoming doctors, lawyers, social workers, school teachers, judges, actors, flight attendants and so on. That is a ridiculous statement. Any person who would come to a conclusion because a child has a poor upbringing can be misdiagnosed with any disorder is preposterous. Money has nothing to do with it, your life is what you make of it. You are what you are money does not define any person or misdiagnose them .. JMO :flower:

When I said poor, I did not mean it monetarily poor. I meant it as "unideal." E.g., neglect, arguing parents, poor nutrition, parents using the television for mental stimulation rather than play, basically uninvolved parents.

I apologize, I should have chosen a different word than "poor" since it has more than one meaning.

I grew up poor, and poor...in both ways. I have never been diagnosed with a behaviour issue, I went to university and have a moderate paying career. I think that is a poor excuse for anyone to say that poor kids get misdiagnosed. There is plenty kids with good parents with behaviour issues...and there is kids that have inadequate parenting and substandard living, such as I...who are fine...and some who truly do have ADHD, like my brother...through no fault of his own, nor related to his upbringing. If anything...I would think it had to do with the fact he was born with a big gaping hole in his head! I think this is the stigma that many people with dissabilities face...generalizations and assumptions based on ignorant people with their own inadequate information.

Well I would say you're an exceptional case. I think that there is a undeniable correlation between a a child's home life and his or her success in the classroom. Of course like I said, there will always be exceptions.

I also believe the number one culprit to misbehaved misdiagnosed ADHD children is lax parenting, which is also on the rise more than ever....coincidentally? If a child does not have a structurally sound foundation with consistent rules and discipline, he or she is being set up to fail in the classroom (but of course... there are some exceptions).

If a non-ADHD child is simply a misbehaved child, they could meet all the criteria for ADHD and be given Ritalin. Parents who "do not have time or energy" to give parenting the full 100% can see Ritalin as an easy way out. And Ritalin would indeed make any worn-out parent's life easier, but it's not always the right choice.

If you think I'm accusing you of having a misdiagnosed child, I'm certainly not. I feel like many of you think I'm accusing your child of not legitimately learning disabled. I'm simply talking about all the children who are misdiagnosed with ADHD in America, which is probably more than half of the recorded cases.

so only misbehaved children come from lax homes and 'poor' families??? good grief!!! your opinions are seriously misguided!!!

no, i didn't think my child was misdiagnosed, nor did I feel you were implying that. She was diagnosed by PROFESSIONALS, and many of them who knew what they were talking about and qualified to make a diagnosis...I am not concerned about a misguided unknown person on the internet! lol

When did I ever say "Misbehaved children only come from a substandard ubringing."? Misbehaved children come from all over the spectrum, but children who come from an unideal background are more likely to have difficulties in school, and for very obvious reasons.
Lack of parental support is a biggie.

I think people are jumping the gun here and hearing only what they want to hear. They're not comprehending the post as a whole, and only picking and choosing sentences to distort the evil image of people who are critical of a globally controversial topic.

Yikes, I'm afraid all people are going to read on this is the part in parenthesis.

I think that a poor upbringing can easily lead to a child being misdiagnosed with ADHD. And unfortunately, I think these cases outweigh the legitimate cases.

Poor upbringing also leads to children becoming doctors, lawyers, social workers, school teachers, judges, actors, flight attendants and so on. That is a ridiculous statement. Any person who would come to a conclusion because a child has a poor upbringing can be misdiagnosed with any disorder is preposterous. Money has nothing to do with it, your life is what you make of it. You are what you are money does not define any person or misdiagnose them .. JMO :flower:

When I said poor, I did not mean it monetarily poor. I meant it as "unideal." E.g., neglect, arguing parents, poor nutrition, parents using the television for mental stimulation rather than play, basically uninvolved parents.

I apologize, I should have chosen a different word than "poor" since it has more than one meaning.

I grew up poor, and poor...in both ways. I have never been diagnosed with a behaviour issue, I went to university and have a moderate paying career. I think that is a poor excuse for anyone to say that poor kids get misdiagnosed. There is plenty kids with good parents with behaviour issues...and there is kids that have inadequate parenting and substandard living, such as I...who are fine...and some who truly do have ADHD, like my brother...through no fault of his own, nor related to his upbringing. If anything...I would think it had to do with the fact he was born with a big gaping hole in his head! I think this is the stigma that many people with dissabilities face...generalizations and assumptions based on ignorant people with their own inadequate information.

Well I would say you're an exceptional case. I think that there is a undeniable correlation between a a child's home life and his or her success in the classroom. Of course like I said, there will always be exceptions.

I also believe the number one culprit to misbehaved misdiagnosed ADHD children is lax parenting, which is also on the rise more than ever....coincidentally? If a child does not have a structurally sound foundation with consistent rules and discipline, he or she is being set up to fail in the classroom (but of course... there are some exceptions).

If a non-ADHD child is simply a misbehaved child, they could meet all the criteria for ADHD and be given Ritalin. Parents who "do not have time or energy" to give parenting the full 100% can see Ritalin as an easy way out. And Ritalin would indeed make any worn-out parent's life easier, but it's not always the right choice.

If you think I'm accusing you of having a misdiagnosed child, I'm certainly not. I feel like many of you think I'm accusing your child of not legitimately learning disabled. I'm simply talking about all the children who are misdiagnosed with ADHD in America, which is probably more than half of the recorded cases.

so only misbehaved children come from lax homes and 'poor' families??? good grief!!! your opinions are seriously misguided!!!

no, i didn't think my child was misdiagnosed, nor did I feel you were implying that. She was diagnosed by PROFESSIONALS, and many of them who knew what they were talking about and qualified to make a diagnosis...I am not concerned about a misguided unknown person on the internet! lol

When did I ever say "Misbehaved children only come from a substandard ubringing."? Misbehaved children come from all over the spectrum, but children who come from an unideal background are more likely to have difficulties in school, and for very obvious reasons.
Lack of parental support is a biggie.

I think people are jumping the gun here and hearing only what they want to hear.

*I* never had behaviour problems, and I grew up in a terrible home. My sister didn't either! I think your generalization is outdated, is all. Sure, there is probably some behaviour issues in SOME homes that are poorly...no income, abuse, neglect, addictions...all of which were in mine, but there is SOME homes that have incomes, stay at home moms, vacations in Mexico...I know of SEVERAL kids that go to school with my son (8 years old) and they have more money than me, two have stay at home moms, they go on great vacations, are involved in extra-curricular activities such as Scouts, hockey, etc...and they have HUGE behaviour issues. In fact, the one family I know who are very poor and the parents are going through a bitter divorce, have lovely kids who get good marks in school. It's a generalization that you are making..and no facts to support it.

There are many studies that indicate children from dysfunctional families perform less better on average than children who come from stable homes.

perform...but you are talking about ADHD and behaviour issues? No? Where is your facts on this too? I have heard a lack of breakfast can make kids not focus at school...but that can be poor or rich...it just means no breakfast. But you are talking about ADHD and behaviour issues.

In a school setting when a child is not performing to par or is causing difficulty for a teacher, many refer the children to get tested. Testing requires parental consent, but most parents do consent when a referral is made. And ADHD is probably the most well-known of all learning disorders and the easiest to tag on an inattentive individual because of its subjective diagnostic criteria.

I've had teachers say under their breath to me, "Oh my good lord, that child needs to be on medication or something, he's driving me crazy." In a these types of teachers' eyes, a medicated child is an easier child and in this day and age when teachers have 25+ students per class, many are desperate to find ways to make their jobs more manageable. It's unfortunate for both the children and teacher.

In America, teachers can initiate the referral process of ADHD. Although there was a teacher on here who mentioned she did not believe the conditioned exists, many teachers see it as an easy way around a difficult, disruptive child. I believe these types of 'naive' referrals result in the over-diagnosis of ADHD as well.

It's too bad the USA is like that. The only person I know diagnosed with ADHD is my brother. And I used to teach kids so I know alot of kids! I know more kids with autism than ADHD. How sad is that - that the teachers want to medicate kids to make them 'easier'! Wow. That's sad. But, to me, not really surprising. One little boy who has autism was asked by a teacher to be medicated. The parents refused, and a lawyer was brought in, by the parents...and he doesn't have to be. I just think that some teachers should choose another profession, kwim?

I dont think a lot of people here get diagnosis either. I have to say, My son has a fab teacher but a teacher she is, not a medical professional and I would hate for them to try and wrongly diagnose my son!!

Also, ADHD is very different from just being naughty. ADHD is NOT just misbehaviour!

Yes i find some teachers really should find another job...one of my sons teachers who knew he had odd and bipolar disorder would refuse to help him tie his shoes as she felt he was old enough (he also has motor skill problems) and would let him get upset as he would fear he was going to miss recess and then punish him when he would have an outburst. I wanted to kick her ass. To me, she was.being cruel as hell. Then would say she couldn't handle him. Sad.....

That is sad :(

My sons IEP at his last school stated he needed to try and walk around without flapping- errr its a tick how can he stop it! I refused to sign it lol xx

That is sad :(

My sons IEP at his last school stated he needed to try and walk around without flapping- errr its a tick how can he stop it! I refused to sign it lol xx

Ollie Tics too, another common sign of ADHD, for all those non-believers :dohh:

I must say, Ollie's school has been genereally really supportive, and his teachers this year really get HIM and ADHD, they've been very firm from him from the off because they know that if you give him an inch he will take a mile!

Matthews new school is much better also. Thank goodness! xx

Yes tics can be with ADHD, ASD etc not just tourettes. My son stims vocally and with his body. x

My daughter stims too...she runs around constantly and aimlessly and *sometimes* flaps her her hands. She will stop if you remind her, but she can't really help it! She is doing it right now as I am typing this. lol Her teacher this year seems great...but the one last year kept focusing on her eating and didn't want to help her with her zipper. Well, she has very low muscle tone in her hands, and so that was really unfair, but I go down to the school and speak with them, or, sometimes, unfortunately, yell at them to make sure they are doing what is best for Makena. At one point they were sticking her in the library at recess because they were too lazy to watch her. I went down there and told them she needs to go outside, get fresh air, exercise and most important, SOCIALIZE with her peers! They said they would put her out, but a couple unexpected visits from me at recess time, and she was in the library!!! I threatened to pull her from the school (and then they lose their funding) and I went to the school board, and that changed, and then yeah, karma stepped in..and out of the blue, the teacher snapped her achilles tendon, she needed surgery and Makena got the sweetest teacher EVER!!!

So sad.. Its such a shame our kids have to go through stuff like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->