advice before definately stopping bfing

broodymrs

Mummy to my boys
Reaction score
I am really struggling with deciding whether to continue bfing or not.

Here are my reasons for considering stopping:

Dylan has acid reflux which I have told could be caused by him getting too much formilk.

He only feeds for very short periods and quite often despite seeming hungry when he has finished, he won't go back on.

He has recently starting really fussing and screaming when i try to nurse him which is distressing for us both.

He has a bottle of formula in the evening which seems to satisfy him more than breast milk and we don't get the fussing and screaming with feeds.

His feeds are inconsistent so I constantly end up feeling engorged.

I seem to have an over supply of milk on the right, often choking him which causes him to pull off, get soaking wet and refuse to go back on, but the left feels empty althoughit obviously isn't as he'll often feed well on that side.

I constantly worry about my supply, often pumping to make up for when he has gone a long time between feeds or when I feel engorged but then I worry this could be the wrongthing to do. I also worry that he gets nothing but formilk which will make his tummy probs worse, and it is heartbreaking to constantly feel like i am fighting him every feeddue to the fussing and screaming.

I have considered just bfing before bed and overnight as these feeds always go well but switching to formula in the day. Before I definately take the plunge though I'd welcome advice/opinions particularly from those who have been through something similar. This decision is breaking my heart and I am in tears most days so something has to change.

Thanks

Have you tried expressing a little before a feed so he doesn't get as much for milk (I haven't heard of this before sorry)?

My LO fusses when latching if he goes a while between feeds and ends up struggling to get latched which then causes him to swallow a lot of air which causes him to get wind and more distressed. To resolve this if I feel full, I pump out an oz or two and he latches on perfect. I also make sure I feed both sides on each feed.

A good non medical treatment for reflux is a mattress wedge. If you look into the cause of reflux, it is irritated more when baby is lay flat. The wedge mattress props baby up just a small amount but enough to reduce or even stop reflux episodes helping baby be more comfortable on a night. There was an episode of the baby whisperer (Tracy Hogg) where she put simple measures in place which made a huge difference to the baby. Here's an example of a wedge mattress https://www.amazon.co.uk/Safely-Wedge-reflux-congestion-standard/dp/B002PHXJIG/ref=pd_sim_by_3

I personally wouldn't give a bottle on a night as for some babies it does cause confusion... Bottles are a easy feed and the teat is ready shaped. If your nipples are like mine, they are flat until my son stimulates them and can then feed (unless I express before, expressing brings out your nipple)

Have you got a breast feeding support group? We have 'baby cafés' which is for breast feeding mums and I got loads of support when I was struggling from the midwife who ran the group and other mums... I was ready to stop bf in the first few weeks but after getting great advice, I am a lot more confident xx

Hi broodymrs - sorry I can't offer help but I read this and I could have written everything you have said, my LO has always been fussy and often seems to claw and fight the feed but this past week it had has got so much worse like you he seems hungry then pushes away from the breast and after a burp will not come back on again. Reading through a lot if his symptoms it seems he had silent reflux and I would also love some advice too. He's started crying inconsolably after a short feed and also appears to swallow a burp which makes him cry more.

I really hope your LO is ok and whatever you decide will be best for him :hugs:

My LO was like that too but it passes! We went through a fussy screaming at the breast phase around 9-12 weeks but we presisted and it got so much better. Oversupply is normal, I leaked like a crazy person til about 4/5 months lol. My guy got so mad when the milk came out too fast and choked him.. eventually they think it's hilarious when you spray them in the face :haha:

If you want to stop and you're 100% sure then go for it.. but I'd say if you can stick it out til about 3/4 months it gets insanely easier :hugs:

Hi, I found that restricting the feeds to one breast for a specific time period worked best. My son fed approximately every 2.5 hours. I would stick to one side for a feed. If he fussed within the next couple of hours he'd go back on the same breast (so he gets the filling hind milk). I used an app on my phone to keep track (it told me at a glance how long it had been since the last feed and which side). When my son went to about three hours between feeds I'd preemptively offer a feed to prevent the upset struggle to latch.

It could be that with the pumping you have created a bit of an oversupply and your milk is quite watery. Maybe you could try to pump one feed off once a day and just hand express a little when you feel engorged or just before a feed as suggested above? Your breasts will settle down very soon. I remember mine becoming very soft at the 6-8 week mark. I went to see a breastfeeding consultant and she told me that was the way it was supposed to be once everything settled down. It just takes a couple of months to get there.

Don't worry about quick feeds, either. My son managed a full feed in four minutes flat! Little monster. He's now up to 7-8 minutes at 18 months. Feeding times vary so widely between babies. Five minutes, thirty minutes... All normal!

I am really struggling with deciding whether to continue bfing or not.

Here are my reasons for considering stopping:

Dylan has acid reflux which I have told could be caused by him getting too much formilk.

As I understand it acid reflux in babies is caused by the under development of the spincter muscle, so it will be affected just the same by formula or breastmilk. Cows milk protein intolerance also has similar symptoms to acid reflux, in which case cows milk formula would not help. Who told you it was foremilk?

He only feeds for very short periods and quite often despite seeming hungry when he has finished, he won't go back on.

What is his weight gain like? What is your letdown like? Does he seem to struggle at the start, choke and swallow air?

He has recently starting really fussing and screaming when i try to nurse him which is distressing for us both.

Is this all feeds or certain times of the day?

He has a bottle of formula in the evening which seems to satisfy him more than breast milk and we don't get the fussing and screaming with feeds.

Formula sits heavy and is harder to digest. Hence a baby will seem more satisfied as they are having to work harder to process it.

I seem to have an over supply of milk on the right, often choking him which causes him to pull off, get soaking wet and refuse to go back on, but the left feels empty althoughit obviously isn't as he'll often feed well on that side.

This answers my question above sounds like you have an overactive letdown. The best thing to do if he is choking is to take him off and let your milk soak into a cloth. When it has calmed down then re-apply him. Does it jet across the room if he comes off?

I constantly worry about my supply, often pumping to make up for when he has gone a long time between feeds or when I feel engorged but then I worry this could be the wrongthing to do. I also worry that he gets nothing but formilk which will make his tummy probs worse, and it is heartbreaking to constantly feel like i am fighting him every feeddue to the fussing and screaming.

How long have you been pumping before and what for? This sound like the main cause of your issue from what you have said. Breastfeeding works on supply and demand, and if you have been pumping it can create an oversupply, which can also exacerbate the over active letdown.

What makes you think he is not having enough of the fattier milk? Are his nappies bright green or not gaining weight well?

IMO stop the pumping, feed on demand and if you have an over supply try block feeding for a little while. I wouldn't feed the formula either but that is a personal decision.

Here is a good link for you https://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/
It also explains block feeding and has suggest some different positioning to help.

hey, thanks for all the replies. it was the breastfeeding counsellor who said it could be too much formilk as his poo was green, not bright green or foamy though. i fed him last night on the left and it was 10 mins start to finish. my boob was hard at the start and soft by the end so i'm sure he drained it, that was after a 5.5 hour sleep too so perhaps quick feeds in the daytime are ok. i will see how i go trying the things suggested

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->