Advice for kid with tactile sensitivites

SarahBear

Reaction score
Violet has her 4 year doctor's appointment at the end of the month and I think I want to bring up her tactile sensitivities as they've been a definite issue. I thought, however that I'd ask here in the meantime. Do any of you have a kid with tactile sensitivities? If so, what has helped your child and what has not helped your child? I'm wondering about sensory integration techniques. Do you have any key phrases or techniques that I should research? We're currently in the middle of a very sensitive phase. It used to be that pajamas worked great for clothes. Then it got to where clothes had to be skin-tight like leggings and tights. Now she has an issue with pretty much anything. She even opted to not go trick-or-treating in our neighborhood in order to avoid wearing her costume. Hair washing is another thing that's always been an issue. It's even more of an issue at the moment because Violet won't get in the bath. Lately I've just been wiping her down with a wash cloth and then having her lean back against a large container for hair washing. I use a hand-held sprayer that attaches to the sink and use the large container to catch the water. It doesn't work well though because she'll freak out and sit up which then results in her getting soaked which she of course doesn't like. I'm thinking I'll order earplugs. I think with ear plugs and the hand-held sprayer, I might get her to cooperate better.

Hi my DD has became like this over time. She also opted out of dressing up at Halloween due to it.
It started with the socks, I can't buy any patterned socks and have been looking at seemless socks for her. If they did have a pattern on I had to turn them inside out. Tights are a bit of a no no but yet she is pretty much happy to wear leggings and a plain loose long sleeved top anything else she just gets really upset by.
She has the same pair of shoes as soon as she gets the chance in the car etc they are off!

I find talking about what clothes she's going to wear before hand works aswell and letting her touch it... easing her in, not fusing about. I just let her wear what shes comfortable in and follow her lead. As long as she's warm. It's more my sadness as she's got some lovely outfits which probably won't get worn. X

She wanted to go to school in a short skirt and an t-shirt. Oi vey, why couldn't she have wanted that kind of clothing in the summer time??? We made her wear a long-sleeve shirt but compromised on the skirt. I hope she had a decent day at preschool (I'm at work so haven't seen her yet this afternoon)

I feel for you (and your daughter!). My son is 4 and since he was very young has had lots of sensory issues. Some of them have thankfully disappeared (like haircuts and hair washing) but clothing is tough. He absolutely cannot wear anything with buttons even if it's a single button on his pant leg, jeans are a huge no no and any form of collard shirt would lead to a massive meltdown. I wish I had answers for you but so far we have just adjusted to accommodate his sensitivities in hopes of him growing out of it. In other words, he only wears sweatpants and long cotton sleeved shirts!

Violet won't do buttons or jeans either! We're in a real tough period where even accommodating for what she's comfortable with isn't enough because she's not comfortable in anything.... Actually, she has been wearing certain types of short sleeve shirts and short skirts OK... But it's not summer! I'm going to have to decide how important seasonally appropriate clothing is. At home she can wear whatever, but when she went to preschool, I made her decide between long sleeves and leggings. She chose long sleeves, but hated it.

Iv always had a hair washing issue with my 2. And the least stressful way I found was using a jug that way I can control the speed at which it comes out and put one hand over there forehead so it doesn't run down the face

Violet won't do buttons or jeans either! We're in a real tough period where even accommodating for what she's comfortable with isn't enough because she's not comfortable in anything.... Actually, she has been wearing certain types of short sleeve shirts and short skirts OK... But it's not summer! I'm going to have to decide how important seasonally appropriate clothing is. At home she can wear whatever, but when she went to preschool, I made her decide between long sleeves and leggings. She chose long sleeves, but hated it.

Season changes are always tough here! We usually go through a week or two of tears then slowly he adjusts. Hope things get better for you!

Things are getting worse around here... and although she didn't like summer clothes all summer, she now has decided she hates clothes and summer clothes are a reasonable alternative. She's been going around the house in her underwear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->