Advice for taking LO swimming first time - UPDATE

Angela49uk

Reaction score
Well DH and I are taking LO swimming for the first time tomorrow (he is nearly 11 weeks now). Just after a bit of advice from mummies that have taken their LO swimming.

Firstly, what did your LO wear? - I've got my LO disposable swim nappies and little trunks to go over the top (they are so damn cute :D)

How easy is it at your pool to get LO changed / ready?

Were the changing rooms cold? If so, did you do anything to get round this.

How did your LO react the first time and what age were they?

How long did you stay in the pool for the first time?

How did you shower etc afterwards?

Sorry if they seem like dumb questions, but I have no idea and want to be prepared :)

UPDATE

Well we went swimming and LO absolutely loved it!! We were in pool 30 minutes and he gave us loads of smiles. He didnt cry once, not even whilst getting changed / dressed.

Changing rooms were really warm, with a playpen and loads of changing tables available.

Will definately be going again.

Oh, and the pool allow cameras as long as you dont get any other kids in the pics. Fair enough!

OK I took my LO swimming for the first time when she was just over 3 months old. I don't want to worry you but the first time she hated it. The second she was much better! On the sucessful time I dressed her in a swim nappy and swimsuit. The changing rooms were fairly warm so I just changed her as quickly as I normally would then popped a towelling poncho over the top of her to keep her covered up.

I found getting LO ready was really easy, as I used a family changing room and that had a pull down changing unit which straps to make sure she didn't fall off whilst I was getting ready :D

The first time, she looked grumpy and then started crying after 3-4 mins and I took her out and got her dressed again. I think looking back on it, it's cause I put her in a wetsuit and I don't think she found it that comfortable. The second time, she looked a little perplexed but soon began enjoying the water and was smiling etc. I sat down in the pool (it was very shallow) and sat her on my knee to begin with then slowly worked at getting her into the pool. Soon she was on her tummy being floated back n forth with her head up in the air with a huge smile on her face! That time we stayed in the pool about 30 mins, then she was put in her towelling poncho to stay warm. I didn't shower her, just bathed her when I got home.

Enjoy the swimming! Make sure you take a disposable waterproof camera :D

I'll be stalking as im wondering all this for when we take LO swimming!!

My little wore huggies nappy then wet suit as it's an adult temp pool. Changing rooms are cold, wrap lo in a towel after swimming to bring them to change rooms then have another towel which you can dry them with. Our lo never liked getting changed but was fine swimming. We stayed in 15 mins. Remember they can get pretty thirsty so may want a feed afterward. The first time we bathed her when we got home to get chlorine off but now I dunk her under the shower there.

i put a hotwater bottle in our bag so the towels were warm when i got him out & take 2 towels, ist one got drenched by water held by swim nappy

SMILE - ur baby takes its cues from u , so if ur happy and relax3ed ur babies more likly to relax

maddox lasted 15m first time

Firstly, what did your LO wear? - I've got my LO disposable swim nappies and little trunks to go over the top (they are so damn cute )

Our lessons were in a baby pool so he just wore a swim nappy and trunks.

I put the swim nappy on at home and took a spare with me just in case he filled it on the way. We have family change areas that have changing tables at our pool so it was easy.

The family changing room is very warm.

He was five months. He wasn't that thrilled at first as the water is cooler than his usual baths, but I smiled the whole time (helps loads as someone else said) and he loved it by the end of the first lesson. He loved it so much he got really over excited when we saw the swim instructor the next week.

The lesson is 30 minutes, he just about manages the whole lesson, but is tired towards the end. Did that from his first lesson

The showers were really hot so we didn't, just got dressed and showered at home.

Hope you enjoy the lessons.

Firstly, what did your LO wear? -
he wire a swimming nappy and one of those romper style swim suits trunks are fine

how easy was it to get changed/ready-
first time hubby was there I put lo on changing table and took coat, pants top off was warm in changing room I then got I dressed and swim cossie on the got lo swimm nappy and suit on. When coming out of pool hubby stayed in pool while I got dried and quickly dressed I then brought towel for lo and took him to hey dried and dressed. I went yesterday just me and lo and did the same but obv. got out with lo dries him and out nappy on while o got dry and cossie off put towel round me dressed lo then dressed myself. I didn't have a proper shower washing my hair etc just jumped under shower to rinse, lo loved that bit!

My son loves the pool likes being nosey (takes after me ha ha) so has a good look around.

We stayed in pool about 30 mins.

Have a great time, you will be fine x

They are fine in swim nappy and trunks but if you can get one of the wetsuit things it does keep them warmer esp if it's a public pool as they are a little colder usually.

I would just plan to go direct to the pool and home again. Have your costume and LO's on under your clothes...don't forget to pack your underwear for afterwards though :haha:

We stay in for 30mins max, usually about twenty.

Getting out- wrap LO in a big fluffy towel as you go to the changing rooms, they changing rooms are quite warm though, but LO usually cries anyway! Get their wet clothes off asap and wrap them up again whilst you get your bags etc. Drythem down and dress. Hopefully there is a changing table, bench or somewhere else. Otherwise use a changing mat on the floor.

My LO LOVES swimming and always had done since the second he first went in the pool. He has always loved his baths too. Our changing room has no changing facility do be sure to take a flimsy changing mat, take two towels for LO too.. One to lie on and one to dry with. My LO wears disposable nappy and swim suit over the top from BOOTS.

Take your LO into the changing room in the car seat so when she is dressed you can put her in it until you get dressed.

Also don't wear anything too difficult to put on like Tights etc... My pool us really secluded and I live in the countryside and hve been known to go home in my dressing gown!

Just a tip for you- take talcompowder (sp?), it make getting dressed for you so much faster leaving lo for less time. (i hate being clammy and wet) And both wear easy clothes makes life so much easier, oh n take Los towel to the pool side hopefully there will be some where for y to leave it, means he won't get cold on the walk back tobthe changing rooms

Wound like every one has already given you all of my tips x

A waterproof disposable camera!! I would not have thought about that. Any idea where I can get one from? Do Tesco's or somewhere like that do them?

Thanks for sharing all your experiences, it will help me be more prepared and enjoy my time there with LO. Fingers crossed he doesnt hate it :) x

we used a wetsuit with Teddy and he was happier for much longer in the pool with it. Don't have a break from swimming though - Imogen loved swimming and then we didn't go for a couple of months when she was about one, and now she screams every time we go near the pool. I'm still suspicious that she had some kind of swimming trauma with her grandparents that they just didn't tell us about...

i cant wait to take lo swimming but i have been told none of the pools allow you take pictures anymore :(

Firstly, what did your LO wear? - I've got my LO disposable swim nappies and little trunks to go over the top (they are so damn cute )

Yep - exactly the same. We go to "Waterbabies" and got his little overnappy from there. He has a wetsuit too, which raises body temperature by 2 degrees I think. He looks LUSH in them!

A bit fiddly now he can crawl but we get him changed at poolside and he just lies and watches the pool while we're getting him ready.

No they were fine. If they had have been cool, I suppose I'd have just been as quick as I could in getting him in the pool.

He was about the same age as your LO and he LOVED it!

35 minutes (that's how long the class was). Wouldn't suggest much longer as it really tires them out.

I didn't - just flung my clothes on and got LO home and bathed there. My class is at 5.30 so by the time we are home, it's bathtime anyway.

Sorry if they seem like dumb questions, but I have no idea and want to be prepared

Not dumb at all! I was cacking myself for making some dumb mistake but it was fine, and now Sunday evenings when we go to swim class are my favourite times of the week. It's such a lovely bonding experience - enjoy! Such a shame some of you girls can't get pictures of your LOs coz of daft rules: we're allowed at our classes and they're some of my most treasured x x

248797_10150185653926266_714231265_7389584_5652258_n.jpg

Fin swimming underwater :cloud9:

Thanks all! I'm so excited, we are leaving shortly. DH has a day off work as well, so the 3 of us are heading down x

248335_10150185657931266_714231265_7389639_503654_n.jpg

emerging from our underwater swim together and taking a big gulp of air!

228194_10150185660671266_714231265_7389666_3879843_n.jpg

learning to hold on to the side after "falling in"

Im glad you had a good time :happydance:

I got my waterproof camera from superdrug :) Get one for next time so we can see pics!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->