Advice needed asap!

CaptainMummy

Reaction score
Okay, so the girls are at their dads tonight and he was planning on bringing them home tomorrow. His brother was going to drive them down in his car. Just got a phone call from their dad saying that he is going to take them to a big park place before coming home, but his brother plans to take his little girl (4) too and would it be okay for him to sit with one of the girls on his knee in the car!?!

I told him absolutely not, and that it was illegal etc but he got annoyed and hung up. He just text me saying 'don't know why I bothered asking, they are my kids and I'll do what I want' so how on earth do I stop him from doing it?! Its not even a quick few minute journey... they have to drive on the motorway and everything. Admittedly, there was one time when my mum drove me to collect the girls and didn't have any carseats (I assumed they were in the boot as she often puts them there but they weren't and she hadn't even realised) and we drove with them in no seats (I know, its terrible but there was no other alternative and they at least had a seatbelt each, although that's obviously not enough for them, and I dont condone what I did!) But he is actually planning ahead to take them like this...

Any advice?

What does he normally do for car seats? Why can't he just transport them to the park himself?

What does he normally do for car seats? Why can't he just transport them to the park himself?

Usually his brother drives him down without his own little girl there (he doesn't drive himself, and it's not a local place they are going) so my two youngest girls are in harnessed seats and dd1 sits in a booster in between. So they all have their own seat... but now there is going to be an extra body in the car, so not enough space for everyone, 6 people in a 5 seater, so he plans on sitting one on his knee

Usually his brother drives him down without his own little girl there (he doesn't drive himself, and it's not a local place they are going) so my two youngest girls are in harnessed seats and dd1 sits in a booster in between. So they all have their own seat... but now there is going to be an extra body in the car, so not enough space for everyone, 6 people in a 5 seater, so he plans on sitting one on his knee

Could you go collect them? Is it far? Could he get a taxi?

Sorry for the 21 questions! I'm just paranoid about car seat safety and would definitely not allow this. Even if it meant me driving there to get them now and potentially causing a huge scene! I mean, if brother thinks it's okay then why doesn't his daughter give up a seat? (I'm obviously not suggesting that happens, just showing that obviously his brother knows it is unsafe/illegal)

He realises it's illegal right? Not worth the risk on both fronts.
Tell him to walk to a local park. :/

I'd probably also report it to the police but I'm pretty paranoid about car seats and safety. I'm assuming his brother knows how bad it is and the risks involved since it will be one of his tour kids not his sitting in someone's knee. If he wouldn't do it to his child I don't see why he thinks it's ok for yours.

Hope he listened and didn't risk things with your girls

I totally gt were ur coming from.its just not safe! I just wanted to add that if u r in the UK what happened when they were with u would have been legal if the children were over 3 and it was a short unplanned journey.

I totally gt were ur coming from.its just not safe! I just wanted to add that if u r in the UK what happened when they were with u would have been legal if the children were over 3 and it was a short unplanned journey.

Ahh okay that makes me feel a bit better (Although my youngest isn't quite 3 yet) but obviously I would never plan it!
He ended up not taking them, thankfully. Brought them home early because he was pissed off which made no difference to me! I don't think he realises just how stupid it is, so hopefully now that he knows I take it seriously, he won't even consider it in the future!

But that was planned.

I have, once or twice had to get a taxi with my daughter without her car seat, one time because the wheel fell off her pram when I was out a walk with her and my partner had the car at work with the car seat in it.

You are permitted to use a taxi without a car seat for a child of any age, I definitely wouldn't make a habit of it but there was literally no other way for me to get her home.

Going to a swing park with a gaggle of children is a completely different scenario and wouldn't be legal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->