Advice needed for weaning a baby with a milk allergy

Jem

Reaction score
Like the title says really, has anyone got any advice on how what I can wean Ollie on? I'll get an appointment at some point from a dietician on how to wean him but in the mean time can anyone help me? I realise fruit and veg will be ok but in general really x

Well most baby food says whether it contains milk, or gluten and so on, so just pay extra care when looking at the jars. Or if you make your own do fruit purees and veg medleys with meat maybe well mushed and so on, that is all I can think of as I think most of what my daughter has has milk . . . . . .

Might not have helped, but you will be OK once you get some advice. :) x

Jacob is lactose intorlant and i went to speacilist last week about that and being sick and he said you can get soya cereal and yogurts etc but mainly its to be fruit and veg but i queried this as i thought all that fruit and veg would give him the runs so he said to start on this once a day then build it to twice a day then add in the yoguharts and ceral and all the rest of the jars you can buy like cottage pie etc :rofl:. So jacob have veg about 7pm every night and in 2 weeks time he will get it twice a day then by 5+months he will get the other jars introduced along with soya yoghurts. He hates the ceral so we aint using it :) XxxX

Thanx fairywings and Ema x

Poor Jacob, Ema, you sound like you've had a rough time like me then! Glad Jacob's been diagnosed now so things are better for you. I'm just about to start Ollie on the new milk that I picked up this afternoon so fingers crossed it all goes ok and then I can start weaning him once he's settled on that. I think I'll try him with fruit and veg in a couple of weeks then until I see the dietician. Thanx again x

This is my list that is attached to my fridge! We werent following it strictly as we are slowely introducing milk into Rhys' diet, but now Ffion has been diagnosed we will be back to following it!!

Foods to choose:

Pasta - all plain pasta with tomato sauces (check packets for milk products)
Rice - Boiled rice plain, cow and gate ricecakes and organix ricecakes
Potatoes - mashed potatoes with milk substitute and milk free marg

Fruit - all fresh and frozen, tinned and dried. dried apricots are yummy for chomping on and if from the fridge can help with teething. heinz organic apple, HIPP apple and banana puree
Veg - all fresh, frozen and tinned. Cow and Gate first tastes carrot puree and Heinz parsnips, carrots and sweet potato

Meat - fresh meat and fish without sauce, tinned tuna, most fish fingers are milk free
meat alternatives - Peas, beans and lentils, tofu (if allowed)

sugar and sweet foods - no honey under 1 year

fats - dairy free marg and or supermarkets 'free from' ranges

desserts - homemade desserts with milk substitutes or soya yoghurts

drinks - water or juice

processed food - check ALL labels carefully.. milk is in most things!

Foods to avoid

Cereals - most baby cereals include milk powder, so do Rusks
Bread - pancakes and most other bread things!
pasta - no cream, cheese sauces
Rice - rice pudding
Potato - potatoes mashed with milk and butter
Veg - any in cream or cheese sauce
meat - fish cooked in milk or butter, or 0fish pie
fats - butter/marg/cheese spreads
biscuits - lots of biscuits include milk inc choccy biscuits
desserts - no icecream, cream, yoghurts or mousses

my LO doesn't seem to be lactose or wheat intolerant but because I am it was recommended that I don't feed him anything that contains milk or gluten until he is 1 year old so we keep him to a strict diet.

Breakfast: Rice cereal mixed with his hypo-allergenic formula

Lunch: Fruit (apples, pears, peaches, prunes, banana's and mixed fruit). I stay away from any fruity delights, custard or yoghurts).

Supper: 1 jar Veggies (mixed veg, butternut, carrots, mielies etc, sweet potato)
1 jar Meat and Veg (always give him some meat as he needs the protein.)

I try make sure that either his meat jar has potatoes or that his veg jar has potatoes so that he gets some carbohydrates.

I wish I could give him all the nice desserts but just don't want to take the chance. he is going very well on his simple diet.

Thank you so much Ratty and Tezzy! You're stars! I feel alot better about the weaning thing now! x

remember girls to not use butter when frying off onions etc when you are making home made baby food!!

(only saying because i did this today :rofl: )

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->