Advice Needed

akcher

Mom to twins!
Reaction score
I posted not too long ago about my progesterone level being on the low side. My results were still above normal but on the low side of normal. My LP phase last month was 12 days. Again on the lower side but still in the normal range. My doctor wants me to retake the test this month. I read that taking Vitamin B6 will help with raising progesterone levels. I can't decide if I should start taking it or not. I'm hoping that it was an off month and that everything will test normal next month. But if I don't I will lose another month of TTC. But if I start taking them and I get a normal test I won't know if it was because I started to take the vitamin. I'm so confused but after writing this I think I'm going to wait on the vitamins and see what the doctor has to say. I need to have more patience and keep postive. I wanted to get some opinions on wether I should start taking the vitamins or not. Thanks for listening to my rant!

I would wait although i'm no expert you want to make sure you get accurate test results understandable that you don't want to lose another month but in the grand scheme of things a month's not that long :hugs:

That is what I was thinking about doing. Hoping it's just an abnormal month and that all will be fine this month.

Good Luck. Hope it was just a blip and all goes well for you

Sinead

Hi Akcher,

You can always try the progesterone cream for your own theraphy. I know it works wonders for many women. My best friend bought it and it helped her to bring her levels up.

I think you can get it over the counter in pharmacies...or online.

How do you know if your progesterone levels are low? People must suspect before they go for a test.

The reason I ask, is that normally I have a 31 day cycle. Last month was the first day that I charted properly (temperatures and opks). I ovulated on day 15/16 (I got a positive opk on both days) and then got my period two days early on day 29. This meant that I would have had a luteal phase of around 12 - 13 days. Now I have read that this would be a slightly short luteal phase - possibly giving a low progesterone level. Other places I have read that you don't have anything to worry about unless your luteal phase is less than 10 days.

Now I am confused - :dohh:

I am going to take an opk this month to see when I ovulate and find out my luteal phase this month to see if last month was a blip. Maybe my cycle is just in the process of changing - I seem to remember that when I was a teenager, my cycle was around 28 days. Then I went on BCPs for a few years. I came off them and was on nothing for a while(except condoms), then I went on the mini pill (doctor wouldn't subscribe the pill as I had migraines)which really screwed up my cycle. I was on that for about a year and for the last five years have just been using condoms. My cycle has been pretty regular - apart from 'stress' months when AF has been off only by a few days.

What's your views ladies?

I had major problems with my cycles for the last year. It was not until July that I started charting and paying attention about ovulation. I started out having odd temps and 43-44 day cycles. This is why my doctor did a progesterone test to see if I'm ovulating. My cycles have really corrected itself after my weight loss.

Cycle 1 44 Days No Ovulation
Cycle 2 43 Days No Ovulation
Cycle 3 32 Days No Ovulation
Cycle 4 30 Days Ovulated! but 12 days LP

So I'm hoping that this cycle it will correct it self back to 32 days like cycle 3 and I will have a 14 day LP.

Poppy has your LP always been 12 days? If so you can get a progesterone test on 7DPO. I also read that 12 days LP isn't abnormal, it's just on the low side of normal.

Hi Akcher!

I actually have no idea! Last month was my second month ttc and first month properly paying attention to my cycle. I knew that I had a cycle of 31 days as my period always seems to be on roughly the same day each month. If I am stressed, it has come maybe one day or two days late. Generally speaking, I am pretty regular. I usually get the EWCM for about four days round about the middle of the cycle - from about day 13/14 onwards and what I think is ov pain around about 14 days before my period comes.

Last month was my first month actually charting or using opks and my period came two days early - so it is a bit difficult to judge.:hissy:

What do you suggest?

It could the stress of charting that made your cycle off. Like this morning for me. My fertility montior wanted me to PAOS. So I woke up at 6am and I had to fumble around trying tear the plastic off the the new box of sticks while still holding my pee! By the time that ordeal was over, I was wide awake lying in bed till 7am. So charting can be totally stressful. I hope this cycle will go smoothly for you and all will be normal.

Just to add...(this is my own experience so it may not necessarily be the case at all)

Usually a low progesterone level is related to high prolactin levels. If you have a high prolactin level - you will have difficulty conceiving.

If you have been trying to conceive for some time, its good to ask for full hormone tests....and make sure they check your prolactin levels as well. I recently tested and even though I have a regular cycle - my prolactin llevels were VERY HIGH. Conversely my progesterone levels were low.

I have only been ttc for two months and like I say, only one month has been unusual for length - i.e. 29 days as opposed to 31. So, it's a bit difficult to say how long my usual luteal phase is - going by Fertility Friend, it is usually 14 days. So, I am going to use opks this month as well, so I can get to know what my regular luteal phase is.

I just copied this info from another post I made....

"Prolactin is responsible for kicking off your ovulation. It is produced in a gland just under the brain. When you produce too much prolactin it gives you either irregular/non-existent or long cycles. Some women also have normal cycles but they are not ovulating and some women who do ovulate and have normal cycles (like myself), if they pregnant they find it difficult to keep the pregnancy healthy because their luteal phase cannot sustain it because of the low progesterone (maybe) and high prolactin. If you are having frequent miscarriages - it is good to get these hormone tests and not just take the doctors word that "it happens" just to make sure.

High prolactin levels is treatable. I am presently taking DOSTINEX, but there are other drugs too which have been proven to keep prolactin down so that pregancy can occur and be maintained.

Hope that was helpful......... do a google on prolactin and fertility for more information

If they dont test for it, they won't know. But if you have long/irreglar cycles it is worth asking that your prolactin levels, your progesterone levels be checked.

thanks Scotchbonnet, I hadn't heard about this before.

Also prolactin makes your lining not able to keep a pregnancy - so many times when the period is long - it may well be that your egg was indeed fertilised, buty because of the high prolactin level - it is expelled as a period.

I only found out about this because I have now live in another country and went to the GYN to say I am TTC-ing. I told him my history and he said okay I am going to give you a full hormone test to start off - so we know where we are at - and VOILA - thats how I found out about this prolactin business!!
He told me with my level - I would be lucky to conceive an if I did it would be highly likely to miscarry - it's under control now though with the Dostinex I am on.

He did find it starnge that since I had been trying before and stopped that my prolactin levels were never checked in the UK - he says it's one of the first things he checks for with couples who are TTCing for some time or with couples who are frequently miscarrying.

Good luck Scotchbonnet, I really hope you get your BFP soon, you deserve it. It is good that you are posting your experience on here, so that other women who may be experiencing problems would know to ask for a hormone test from their doctors (especially, if some doctors don't bother with them). This is why this Baby and Bump pregnancy forum is so good for helping people ttc.

Good luck and baby dust to you:dust:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->