Advice needed

rebeccaxoxo

Proud mummy to baby Harry
Reaction score
I am due o end my full 52 weeks of maternity leave in November and due to returnto work then but I'm due another baby in early January, would I be able to take another years maternity leave without returning in between ? Anyone in a similar situation ?

Oh im not sure. Didnt want to read and run. I did however return off mat leave pregnant but i wasnt off the full year and did go back to work for some of it and then took mat leave. Not sure if you you mean statutory mat pay or your works mat pay. The latter would depend upon your own circumstances/conditions at work.

you would have to return to work inbetween to be able to get your second maternity leave.

yes you'll need to return for a period inbetween the two

thanks for the replies, is this from personal experience you know this ? or is there anyway around returning. the reason im asking is that my employer wnats to retrain me in my role for 9 weeks when i return and i find it kinda a waste of time for them to do that for me to leave again during or just after training ?

anyone please ? bump. Would i be able to use some of my annual leave instead of unpaid then i dont need to go back. My employers seem as clueless as me

I think if it's SMP you're talking about then you need to go back to work, sorry.

so gutted cos i need to do training for a job im not actually going to be doing at all for another year after that, but i cant live without the smp :( gutted. has anyone else been through some similar situation ?

Not really sure but I am taking my years worth of holidays at the end of my maternity leave but my return to work date is still when my maternity finishes, so that might be a way round? Sorry not really that helpful

Hi, I might be able to help as I'm a HR manager.

It really depends on your employers policy. My employer allows back to back maternity and rather than basing Pay calculations on actual average earnings (like SMP does) they base it on contractural salary. (This is a new thing though in our company and won't necessarily be the case everywhere)... If your company only pays SMP then it should, in theory, still be based on your average earnings during the qualifying time. (I think its between week 17-25 of your preg)

The best advice... is to contact your HR and ask them, if you don't agree with them or it doesn't sound correct then contact CAB or ACAS to check... Happy for you to PM me too if you have any other questions... x

Don't know if this is of any help but i came across this when i was researching flexible working

https://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?itemId=1080903532&type=RESOURCES

"Pregnancy during SML

If a woman becomes pregnant again during her SML, she must notify you of this in the normal way - see the page in this guide on notification and confirmation of maternity leave.

Note that it's possible for her subsequent period of SML to begin as soon as the current one ends. In these circumstances, her rights on her eventual return are the same as they would have been had she just taken a single period of SML"

And in the normal way, the earliest you can begin your SML is 11 weeks before the EDD so technically you do not have to return to work inbetween.

You only need to be back from maternity leave for one day to quilify for a second period

thanks for all the answers ladies i appreciate it, things are so tight as it is so its just worrying to think i might get the rug pulled from under me. i do genuinely intent to go back afterwards as this wasnt necessarily a planned pregnancy but i know they wont believe me .

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->