• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Advice on how to choose a formula?

Chickadeedee

Reaction score
My daughter is 5 weeks today - I have been exclusively pumping as breast feeding did not work for us.
I am weaning myself off of pumping and want to introduce formula.
I started with Emfamil for supplementing... It seemed like she would get really gassy when feeding - turning red in the face, doubling her legs up and screaming....she also spit up a lot of clear liquid mixed with white curdles (not sure if this was from breast milk or formula!?! But it only started after introducing formula)... And lastly she didn't poop for over 24 hours - she was absolutely miserable crying and she barely ate half of what she normally eats!
So of course I panicked and stopped giving her formula. I went to the store yesterday to get something different and got Similac Sensitive, figuring maybe that would help.... I didn't realize it was for babies who are lactose intolerant (LO was being sooo fussy so I didn't tKe the time to read the label properly).

So now DH doesn't want me to give her that sensitive formula - he thinks it will be bad for her because she doesn't have a lactose problem that we know of...
I need HELP!!!!!! How do I choose??? My goal after I wean completely from the pump and go through my freezer stash of breast milk is to be 100% formula...

i would try enfamil gentlease since she is have gas problems

Some formulas will say for gassy babies...we are using Gerber Soothe and its been better on her tummy than Enfamil Newborn was. She still gets gas pains now and then but we use the little tummies gas drops for that.

I would suggest formula milk from Wyeth because I tested it with my son.

Personally, I'd just get whatever is easily accessible at your usual supermarket and also something that's in a price range you can afford. Unless you have a baby with special dietary needs (like a lactose intolerance or milk protein allergy), they are pretty much all the same. It's really more of a trial and error to find what works for you. I'd just caution to do it slowly (if you can continue to express for a bit) and also don't panic right away if something seems amiss at first. The reality is that all formula is going to be harder to digest and cause more issues initially that breast milk, so having some tummy trouble while your LO adjusts is normal. If it's severe (spitting up is one thing, all babies do it at some point, but severe vomiting after every feed isn't), then you might need to try a different brand. FF babies do often poo less often, so that's to be expected as well, but as long as it's not hard like rabbit pellets or causing obvious discomfort for long periods of time, it's fine. Look for the tiger in a tree hold - it really helps get their bowels moving, as does tummy time and being worn in a wrap. The main thing I would say is just finding something that works for your individual baby (what works for one won't necessarily work for another) and that it's something you can buy easily. You'll be buying it weekly if not more often for the next year, so you don't want to have to be making a special trip to a store you don't normally shop at. Also, don't feel like expensive is always better. They all have to be pretty much the same, and in many cases the added cost for some of the pricier brands means you just pay for marketing gimmicks. Unless you need to buy special formula (again, like for the lactose intolerance), stick with something affordable. And yeah, I'd avoid the lactose intolerance stuff you already got. You shouldn't really be switching around brands as it can cause extra tummy upset, so if you aren't going to stick on that, I wouldn't offer it to begin with. You might be able to return it or offer it up to someone who needs it on a local for sale group.

My daughter is 5 weeks today - I have been exclusively pumping as breast feeding did not work for us.
I am weaning myself off of pumping and want to introduce formula.
I started with Emfamil for supplementing... It seemed like she would get really gassy when feeding - turning red in the face, doubling her legs up and screaming....she also spit up a lot of clear liquid mixed with white curdles (not sure if this was from breast milk or formula!?! But it only started after introducing formula)... And lastly she didn't poop for over 24 hours - she was absolutely miserable crying and she barely ate half of what she normally eats!
So of course I panicked and stopped giving her formula. I went to the store yesterday to get something different and got Similac Sensitive, figuring maybe that would help.... I didn't realize it was for babies who are lactose intolerant (LO was being sooo fussy so I didn't tKe the time to read the label properly).

So now DH doesn't want me to give her that sensitive formula - he thinks it will be bad for her because she doesn't have a lactose problem that we know of...
I need HELP!!!!!! How do I choose??? My goal after I wean completely from the pump and go through my freezer stash of breast milk is to be 100% formula...

i didnt BF after leaving hosp so what i say might not help but here goes..

My LB is on Enfamil AR as he has reflux, since been on this milk he also spits up water and curdled milk, i assume its from the milk too. he also is constipated, this is due to the changes of milk hes had gaviscon, sma stay down, nutramigen and enfamil all in space of 2 months..
when i first started with formula for LO tbh i got the cheapest brand milk i could and the one that was in my local store which was cow & gate, he was fine on this until about a month old when he started with reflux, then as he had reflux i was given gaviscon which failed, then SMA stay down also failed.
Id suggest just trying any normal formula milk and try it, i think its trial and error really, but if you keep changing milk look out for constipation, i still cant get my little boy to have a proper baby poo its always firm now even after lactulose, apple juice and boiled water x

Thanks for all of the helpful responses!! I'm going to the store today and will see what I can find!

I went and decided to try Emfamil Gentlese and also got a Dr. Brown's bottle to try. It appears she hates them both. I'm at my wits end because my milk is drying up fast and then what do I do?????

Did she have problems latching when you were trying to BF? The bottle I use the nipple is more like latching on to the breast. Its a MAM bottle. I'm sorry you are having such a time with this :( Have you called her ped and see if they have any good suggestions to help you out?

My lo initially hated the dr brown bottles but she took right to them by the third feed, you might have to keep trying

Ok the Dr Brown bottle is working - I also snuck in 2 oz of formula this morning and she didn't complain. I'm going to try sneaking some in again tonight to see if maybe this might work...
Krissy - I did call the ped yesterday - they suggested trying soy formula ( I'm assuming if she doesn't like regular formula she's going to hate soy??) and if she won't take that they said oh well - you'll have to just keep pumping...

My first had to go from regular to soy and we didn't have any problems after that. He was crying a lot with regular formula and spitting up a lot.

Glad dr browns is working. We use mam bottles and the teats are a really unique shape which my LO likes. She sometimes gags on the browns teats for some reason.
I'm not really sure what formula to suggest as I'm in the uk but my baby is on Cow&Gate which seems to be ok. We did try the comfort milk by Cow&Gate as she was spitting up all the time but it made her have runny poos so yes.. I think it's all trial and error but I understand it's difficult as you can't keep switching formula all the time as it can upset their tummy. X

Hi Chickadeedee! :hugs: I'm sorry that BF didn't work for you. It didn't work for us, either. :nope: I'm exclusively pumping and supplementing with formula as I also have low milk production. :dohh: We've been giving our LO soy-based ready-to-use formula (Enfamil ProSobee) as 1) DH is allergic to dairy and we don't know if she is, too, and 2) the nurses, pediatrician, and lactation consultants at the hospital advised against using powder formula during the first 2 months. I'm finding it very time consuming having to feed/pump/wash pump parts & bottles around the clock. We are using the Enfamil bottles that we got from the hospital and the 80 ml Medela collection bottles as we still need to be able to measure out her formula in mls depending on how much milk I pump each time. We are planning to try and transition to Tommee Tippee bottles once I get my milk supply up (if that ever happens :().

I hope that things start getting better for you and your little girl. Best of luck! :hugs:

I would recommend using a formula that uses whey protein, as it is more easily digestible. If you can try Gerber Goodstart Gentle, I highly recommend it. My daughter could NOT use regular Similac or Enfamil...but she did very well with the Gerber Goodstart Gentle, and absolutely never had gas issues or spit-ups/reflux after that.

I started with normal milk (Guigoz - its a french make), but she was very gassy and was uncomfortable after each meal so I changed to one with bifidus in it to help with the gas. It helped a lot though she does tend to eat more often now.

Keep the formula for the lactose intolerant in the cupboard as it will come in handy if ever your baby gets diarrhea as the first thing they tell you to is to cut out dairy from their diet and replace it with a lactose free version until they feel better.

Sorry I just disappeared!!! So crazy around here -- we ended up with Soy formula and it's working great!!!! Although I'm still pumping mainly so she is only getting about 4 oz of formula a day... But I'm excited for when I'm done pumping that we have a formula!

Sorry I just disappeared!!! So crazy around here -- we ended up with Soy formula and it's working great!!!! Although I'm still pumping mainly so she is only getting about 4 oz of formula a day... But I'm excited for when I'm done pumping that we have a formula!

That's great to hear! :hugs: My LO is getting about an ounce(-ish) of formula per feeding. If I can squeeze in an extra pumping session while she naps, she'll get a full feeding of just breast milk in the bottle. What brand of soy formula did you settle on?

I have the most stubborn plugged duct on the underside of my right boob, and it's pretty painful and annoying. I thought I got it to go away this afternoon, but it came back a few hours later. :growlmad:

Disney!!!! I feel like I abandoned the other thread but it's just too crazy to catch up right now.. I'll try later!
She likes the Similac Soy. I haven't tried Enfamil Prosobee so I have no comparison yet.. I just wish it came in those little ready to use bottles... I've only found it in a big bottle and that has to be used in like 3 days... Which isn't happening yet !
I had a super stubborn clog too!!! So painful.. I just massaged the heck out of it while pumping and also sat in a hot bath while massaging it.. Eventually it did let go - but ouch!!!! No fun.

Disney!!!! I feel like I abandoned the other thread but it's just too crazy to catch up right now.. I'll try later!
She likes the Similac Soy. I haven't tried Enfamil Prosobee so I have no comparison yet.. I just wish it came in those little ready to use bottles... I've only found it in a big bottle and that has to be used in like 3 days... Which isn't happening yet !
I had a super stubborn clog too!!! So painful.. I just massaged the heck out of it while pumping and also sat in a hot bath while massaging it.. Eventually it did let go - but ouch!!!! No fun.

Totally understandable! Between pumping, feeding, and washing all the parts, it feels like that's all I ever have time to do. :wacko: I don't even feel like we can go anywhere because I always have to pump.

We picked the Enfamil one because the bottles are smaller. We buy it on Amazon because it's cheaper than Babies R Us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->