Advice on traveling with a toddler

Jules8

Reaction score
Hello,

So next week we are flying out to Texas for a family reunion. We're excite, but I'm a little nervous about traveling with our almost 18 month old. She isn't quite old enough for things like movies or games will entertain her for too long, though I'm putting a few shows on it in hopes that maybe it will. lol

Any suggestions on things to entertain her? Also, any suggestion on how to keep her ears from popping on take off and landing?

Our travel schedule looks like this:

2 hours in the car to airport
2 hour wait for flight in airport
5 hour flight
2 hours in the car to family's house

We have travelled many times now with our toddler, it is harder now that she is older, travelling with a baby is a breeze compared to travelling with a toddler. My DD is also totally uninterested in tv or electronics so to be honest it is a little exhausting travelling with her! We bring a ton of books and a few toys, but mostly she just wants to walk around and play with the magazines and other items in the seat pocket, play peek-a-boo with the poor person in the seat behind us, eating snacks, etc. We take turns entertaining her so we each get a bit of a break from her. She gets bored and whiney and sometimes cries and makes a scene, but we always get to our destination in the end no matter how rough the flight was. Things were much easier while she was breastfeeding because I could easily get her off to sleep, now if she is tired on the plane she is a nightmare so I guess my only real advise is to try and schedule the flight at a time when she won't be too tired, unless you think she will be able to sleep on the plane.

We have never done anything special to keep her ears from popping and it has never been an issue for her.

We flew for the first time when our daughter was just a couple months older than that. I found at the airport, it helped to just keep her moving. We walked around a lot. There was a play area, so she played there. We also took it in turns, so that we each got to sit down (I had a much needed glass of wine!), eat some lunch, relax, etc. while the other kept her entertained.

On the plane, we brought just lots of things she'd like to play with, sticker books, play doh, lots of different snacks that I could pull out whenever she needed a distraction. We also had some videos loaded on to one of our phones (bring headphones). She didn't really watch tv much then, but it was enough to at least keep her entertained when we really needed to. Also, a special cuddly toy and a blanket. I also had a little bit of chocolate (which she didn't normally get to have) for emergencies! I didn't find the air pressure bothered her ears. She fell asleep after a bit both ways. Also, bring a couple changes of clothes for her and a change of clothes for you as well. You never know!

Btw, I see you live in Lancaster. I lived in Lititz for about 6 years growing up, though haven't been back since (I live in the UK now). Small world.

Thanks for the advice! I thought I was mentally prepared and everyone..well mainly my dads gf keeps bringing up things that are making me nervous. She won't shut up about how horrible it is for them with the popping. I figured I could just nurse or or give her a lollipop.

MindUtopia- What a small world! lol I grew up in Delaware then moved the Lancaster area about 6 years ago. I actually work in the Litiz area, but I live about 15 minutes past Lancaster city on a farm. We love it! We only rent a house on it so we get the perks of the view and land without having to take care of it. lol

Hi. I just did a 12 hour car ride with my dd who was 18 months at the time. I would recommend an app called pink fong ABC phonics my dd loved it and it kept her entertained. I would let her run in the air port if the flights are outside bed time and for ear popping I would give her a bottle with a drink she doesn't often get like soda or juice during take off... Its maybe not the most popular choice but it will keep her focused on the treat.... Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->