Advice re first scan please.

carlandjane

Reaction score
Hi,

I have my first scan next week and they have said I need a full bladder. Well I always need a wee and feel like my bladder is full! So I am just wondering how much I should drink and how soon before my scan should I start drinking it??? I dont want to end up desperate for the loo but at the same time I dont want to not drink enough/for the scan to be unclear.
Im starting to fret about it a bit so if you could let me know your experiences I would be eternally grateful.

Thankyou in advance.

It's a good question, will be interested to hear the answers. I have mine in 2.5 weeks and I am not sure how I am gonna cope with having to keep my bladder full!! gonna be so uncomfortable! x

Hi , i like you seem to always need to go and after 1 cup full i need a wee! I had my scan yesturday and drank 1 pint in the car on the way (40mins) i was busting for the loo but it was soooo worth it to see baby so clearly. Just drink what you feel comfy with maybe on the way to the scan? xx

I'm pinching an answer I saw someone else post a while ago, they said to drink about a litre of water over a period of an hour before the scan. For some reason on my scan letter it states I don't need a full bladder??? I think I'll drink the litre anyway, I'd rather go with a full bladder and have to empty then be told they can't get a clear picture cos I have an empty one!

yeah, drink one pint an hour before your appointment, and try and keep your mind of it.

Thanks, I think I will just have a wee before I leave the house and take a litre bottle of water on the journey and drink as much as I can on the way!!!

ttcbambino#1, maybe they are going to do a vaginal ultra-sound? I dont know about your OB/Midwife, but at my OB its procedure to due a vaginal ultra-sound, which does NOT require drinking anything.

Hi,

I had my first scan on Thursday and had the same concerns! I thought I would never make it. I did similar to what has been suggested above, but I drank about 1 1/2 pints. It was OK but I was desperate for the loo - but once you see your bub on the screen you forget about needing the loo completely!!!!! However, when she told me she had finished and to take a seat so that she could fill in paperwork/print out pics I had to say "NO!! I neeeeed to go to the loo and come back!" LOL. She just smiled - they obviously see it all the time!

Try not to worry hun, it is an incredible experience and the 'desperation' for the toilet goes right out of your mind when they start the scan! Good luck! xx

I've got my scan next wednesday, in my letter I got from the hospital it says 'please drink 6 glasses of water (1.5 pints) 1 hour prior to the appointment time. Its gonna be hell not going for a wee! xx

hi
i had my first scan on tue and the letter said to drink 6 glass's of water befor my scan, i managed to drink 3 which is good for me as i dont drink alot, i took the kids to school and had to pull over and was sick every where, mind you it was all water but she did manage to get a clear scan and said i was 7+5 when i thought i was 11+6 but thats another story, so hope your scan goes well x x

I feel left out not having a letter, I had to book my scan myself but never got a confirmation, I hope that it's confirmed!

Anyway, last time, I drank 2 tumblers before we left and then my apt was 45 mins running late, I actually thought I was going to pop, lol.

I asked my mw about needing a full bladder for my nuchal scan and she said you don't need to for that scan. When I said that some of my friends were told they needed to have a full bladder she said again it isn't required for this scan. I might drink some water beforehand anyhow lol.

I had mine today!!! I had to wee 2 hours before, then drink 4, (8,oz each) glasses 2 hours before but stop 1 hour before! do not wee, and I tell ya drinking that much for me was hard, then when she was scanning me she was pressing so hard right on bladder I thought I was going to have a accident !!! but everything went well and ran to the toilet!!!! good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->