Afraid of Fever in Newborn..

PhoenixCT

Reaction score
Am I the only one out there super terrified of my newborn getting a fever and having to be admitted to the hospital for a spinal tap? She's 5 weeks old today. I didn't even know this was a thing until our first pediatric appointment when the doctor told us and now I am afraid to let anyone see the baby or go anywhere. The ped said I should not go out with her.

I had a spinal tap when I was a little kid and I still have memories of the trauma, so I am really really crazy about germs right now and her having to go through that. I think I would have a melt down.

:sad1:

My third-born caught a nasty bug and had her first fever at 2 weeks old. Breastfed and everything! I was devastated, and she was so miserable. She's perfect, though. She didn't need any treatment. I just kept her in bed with me, had days of skin to skin time, and put cool wash cloths on her to keep her cool. I kept up with her doctor, but since I had it under control at home, he didn't insist on me taking her to the hospital or anything.

That being said, I take all of my babies out as soon as we're out of the hospital. I love them being around germs young, but I do avoid sick people and if we're going to a very crowded store, I will wear my newborn tight against me so nobody touches them or gets too close. By 5 weeks, though, nah. They're on their own with me. My kids have GREAT immune systems. I think it's crazy for a ped to say the baby shouldn't go out. The baby just went to a ped office, where ALL the germs are! Literally! Ha!

That being said, you're the parent here. You decide when your baby goes out and where they go.

Many people are nervous to take their first-borns out or to let them around germs. Once you have two kids, all the germs are in your house, and there's no escaping them because you're living with a bunch of germ-infested children. Yes, babies are made to deal with it, and your baby is gonna be just fine. :)

What does he expect you to do, stay at home till your baby is 18?! Emma has been out every day since she was 5 days old - got to get Thomas to school etc. She's been touched and slobbered on by truckloads of kids and has never caught a fever.

I can understand your fear because is stems from a traumatic event in your own life, I think you have anxiety and would benefit from seeking some help (not from the doctor who scared you).

Fevers are generally an effective way for the body to fight illness, and I bet a spinal tap is rather rare.

Exposure to general germs and every day environments will strengthen your babies immune system.

Not sure how old you were when you had a spinal tap, I know they are meant to be very painful and can imagine it would be upsetting.

My dd2 had a lumbar puncture (I think that's the same thing) at 1 week old. She was not distressed at all (she slept through it). I'm almost certain she doesn't remember it and it hasn't left her with any lasting trauma. She is perfectly happy to go to hospital for appointments and will allow the nurses and doctors to do pretty much anything they need to. She's 20 months now. So in the unlikely event your baby did ever need one it may not be as traumatic as it was for you.

Like the others have said I've never kept my kids in when they were babies and neither have managed to contract any serious illnesses. There are sensible precautions, not deliberately exposing them to sick people etc but since you and other family members will still need to have contact with the outside world it would seem a bit excessive to never take baby out.

Dd2 didn't have a fever at all when she needed the lumbar puncture, she was inexplicably unrousable and we never did find the explanation

your ped said not to go out with her? why? did the ped give a reason? if there's not a real reason, you need to switch peds. it's also kindof bullsh*t that your ped scared you like that at her first visit. at 5 weeks old, it's not good for you or her to just be sitting in the house. go out on walks, wear her at the store and get a coffee. you have to live your life! baby's immune system will get stronger day by day as she's exposed to new things. try not to worry about fevers - she's more likely to get a tiny cold and some sniffles IF anything. hugs! being a first time mom is hard, but a ped who is giving you unreasonable advice only makes life harder.

My little one did get a fever at 9 weeks old and was admitted to hospital. We were told just the fact that she was under 12 weeks and had a temperature was enough. She was given a lumbar puncture and IV antibiotics for a week. It was awful and we never actually found out what was wrong as the spinal failed. She improved after 24 hours of antibiotics and went home after 3 days. I always think could I have done anything different but she has two sisters and people touching/ holding her. It's impossible to protect them from everything and you will go mad if you try!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->