Alcohol

See I think that our drink culture is partly linked to weather, but that we've not changed our behaviour as times have changed. It's the same with obesity - there's a very real link between obesity and the climate, in colder climates we eat high fat foods to keep us warm, but as we now live and work in places with central heating our bodies don't burn it off to keep us warm any more. So with drinking, in the past the pub or ale house was a warm and social place to wile away the evening, you don't feel the cold as much when alcohol is involved. But we would also spend almost every day working hard from sunrise to sunset so you couldn't really get drunk, now we have much more leisure time but our social culture is based round alcohol so we are able to spend much longer getting drunk.

I actually can not remember the last time i had a drink... i can honestly say it was way before falling pregnant with my son. I don't drink because my partner doesn't and i only really like malibu but i can't justify spending the money on it when it is just me who drinks it. The odd glass of wine or spirit is fine if it is because you enjoy the taste and not to just get drunk.

When people say they just can't control them selves i don't understand. I'm sure they wouldn't go take a full pack of pain killers in one night because they know that will harm them so why go and overdose on alcohol instead? I can remember a girl at my school who's dad died on her 10th birthday due to chocking in his sleep on his own sick due to being so intoxicated and the same happened to a lad i was on the a course with who's uncle died of the same thing on his birthday.

Alcohol is a drug and if misused is very dangerous. I guess i probably don't really understand as i don't drink.
Even when i go out i have a J20 or diet coke and am always the driver but i have alot of confidence and i don't need alcohol for boost. Screw it, i am always the first on the dance floor and I always know what happens on a night out with no headache the next day :haha:

Do you drink? About 3 times a year.

If so why? How much? Birthdays, Xmas lol

Do you think its a general problem, or just something people are over-thinking? Def a problem. People cant seem to have a night out without it!

I get the whole drink to get warm idea... but here we drink a s***load more in the summer. In the winter everyone stays inside, whereas in the summer there are terraces everywhere, festivals... seriously it gets ridiculous, but that is the reality I guess of living in a big city, especially one that is so multi-cultural and open to tourism.

Afm... I'm nowhere near alcoholic or dependant, I don't drink very much when I go out, but we drink a lot of wine. That is definitely the French influence, but we do not have a meal with family or friends, and hardly with each other, that doesn't have wine.

Someone mentionned it is harder to quit alcohol than drugs, I can believe that in the sense that it is hard to distance yourself from alcohol because it is in tons of stores and restaurantes.. whereas drugs are harder to find and not so present or accepted in everyday life.

When i drink on a night out or at a party, i drink to excess, my Father is an alcholic and i think that perhaps, i am pre-disposed to being unable to handle alcohol, i very very rarely drink, especially now i am a Mother, sometimes i have the odd glass of wine with dinner but its rare.

I suppose like if you're in siberia you wouldn't turn down a shot of vodka to warm you up.

What about the health claims like red wine promotes healthy hearts (in the right dose)? What do you make of these benefits?

I think everything in moderation. It's just that most people (myself included) would probably be surprised by what moderation actually is. If you go just by the accepted results of the red wine studies, there is a really fine line about what is too much. One glass of wine per day gives you the benefits. Just one.
Personally, if I am enjoying a nice wine, I like two glasses! One with dinner, one before or after. I don't drink everyday, so is it seven glasses per week total, or does it matter that they are spread out.....
You see what I mean?
:)

I think there are much better ways to achieve heart health if that is your goal.

I drink sometimes, I like to drink a glass of wine or a beer with dinner 2-3 times per week. I generally hate getting drunk though and haven't been drunk in a long time. I really limit myself to one glass, which I think is very important.

I think alcohol is just a vehicle of addiction/abuse, it gets a bad wrap because its so easy accessible, but in my opinion, people who feel the need to abuse a substance will always find one. Addicts/binge drinkers would be repeating the same behaviors with something else if alcohol wasn't around. If its not alcohol it could be coffee, energy drinks, cigarettes, pot.... there is a million things. If you feel you need something to boost your mood, or make you more extroverted, I think you'll try lots of things. Alcohol is just convenient, cheap and effective.

I think the long history of alcohol makes me respect it more. We've been drinking for many many centuries! I feel like as long as you respect limits, its fine to drink. If you have the urge to over do it, figure out what causes that urge and deal with that if over-doing it is a problem for you.

One glass of red wine per day increases the good cholesterol you have and that is what helps your heart. White wine does nothing really...

alcahol is a drug, it's just legal and taxed - if it came out as a new drug it would be illegal - it is more toxic and addictive than cocaine - not that I'm saying go out and do coke but just to illustrate how each drug is perceived.

I have drunk - was a typical uni student - but do not drink now - was drinking less and less over the years and cut it put when ttcing and now as a mum etc etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->