All natural hospital birth. Anyone else want to join me?

oh, haha, I'm expecting our 3rd. DS was my 2nd. I was in active labor with DD, my first for over 19 hours and had the epi then too. For some reason DS decided he wanted to come down the birth canal sideways, which slowed everything way down, but the pushing stage was far better than with DD. I had DS pushed out in 30 mins, so that is an improvement.

With DD, I was in a military hospital with an OB, and I had an episiotomy and a ton of other interventions that weren't necessary, it was a nightmare, but my experience with a birthing center was amazing, which is why I'm so comfortable going back again and trusting them.

They played soothing music for me, helped me get up and walk around, did pressure points on my back to help relieve the pain during contractions. They had a deep soaking tub for me, and they were so willing to get involved and help, and didn't push intervention or medication unless I asked for it or really needed it.

During my pushing, my midwife dumped warm water over my lady bits, and then did a perineal massage between pushes, which stretched me out naturally and kept me from tearing, and I walked away from DS's birth stitch free :)

Oh gotch'ya! Silly me I didn't even look at your signature haha. I still hope it goes easier. It's amazing how every pregnancy and birth is different. The birth center sounds amazing. Our hospital is pretty good about all natural but they still make me nervous. I just don't see giving birth as a medical event unless something is wrong.

Our instructor who is also a doula said that during every labor she's seen (and her own) there's a point where the women says "I can't do this anymore" and from her experience the baby is generally born within a half hour.

This is exactly what happened for me. I wanted (and had) a natural birth, but there was a point when I told my husband I thought I might need an epidural. And then the very next contraction I had the unmistakable urge to push. Baby was born 15 min later.

The advice to stay home as long as possible is spot on. Though if I lived more that 20 min away, I would be a bit nervous about it. If it's day time, maybe you could drive to a nice park near the hospital and wait/relax there, then head the hospital when it's really bad.

When I give birth to DS2 labor should be faster (was fairly fast first time around), so I was advised to get to the hospital earlier. But I live very close, so I will ignore that advise I wait it out at home or work. :haha:

It does make me a bit nervous and what really stinks is that's the only place my midwives deliver. We actually have a good hospital about five minutes away! But my step dad was at the hospital I deliver at for emergency surgery Friday and I decided to see how fast I could make it there. I made it in 10 minutes. I told DH he better be hauling you know what with the hazards on haha.

I'm happy to hear you had such success with you first baby! I hope it goes that well for me.

Hi ladies, mind if I join? I've had 2 births so far, my first was about 8 1/2 years ago and I didn't know better about anything! I got an epi very shortly after I got to the hospital, and had an episiotomy, my second I didn't really plan on having an epi but after I stopped progressing and they broke my waters, I was in immense pain. But this time it was a different kind then the first one I had, I could still feel the urge to push and definitely got to the point even on the epi where I felt like I couldn't do this anymore! This time I'm hoping to go completely drug free! I've delivered in a different state each time lol (my DH served in the army for 8years) I'm hoping this time since it's a top rated mom/baby hospital, combined with having a midwife and experience that I can avoid it this time around.

Ps. I was born in Colorado and my father lives in Arvada along with other family in Loveland and Denver ;)

Hi jlw! I hope this next birth is different for you! What made you decide against a epi this time?

Hi jlw! I hope this next birth is different for you! What made you decide against a epi this time?

A few different things, first the older I've gotten, the more naturally minded I've become but the feeling I had last time in my birth was very empowering so to speak...just actually feeling the urge when to push and feeling your body push, I know it sounds petty but I felt more accomplished than I had with my first birth. Also the side effects-my babies tend to be on the smaller side (6 lbs 12 oz and 6 lbs 5 oz) so that already makes them more lethargic than a more "average sized baby" but I know the epi can make them even more sleepy which makes for bad eaters...and then the side effects I have, I swelled up pretty badly for a good week or so after the deliveries and I know part of it atleast is from the epi and I hurt my back pretty bad after my second because of lack of full feeling in my core I let my back sink in as I was crawling into the hospital bed-my back hurt for probably a good 2+ weeks after it all.

A few different things, first the older I've gotten, the more naturally minded I've become but the feeling I had last time in my birth was very empowering so to speak...just actually feeling the urge when to push and feeling your body push, I know it sounds petty but I felt more accomplished than I had with my first birth. Also the side effects-my babies tend to be on the smaller side (6 lbs 12 oz and 6 lbs 5 oz) so that already makes them more lethargic than a more "average sized baby" but I know the epi can make them even more sleepy which makes for bad eaters...and then the side effects I have, I swelled up pretty badly for a good week or so after the deliveries and I know part of it atleast is from the epi and I hurt my back pretty bad after my second because of lack of full feeling in my core I let my back sink in as I was crawling into the hospital bed-my back hurt for probably a good 2+ weeks after it all.

You pretty much listed all my reasons too! I tend to be more of a naturalist anyways and the thought of baby being so drowsy after being born kind of puts me off. I bet it's an amazing feeling listening to your body and following through. I really hope I can experience that.

I had my 36 week appointment today and my midwife said they'll do everything they can to not induce me. That is the one thing that could happen where I could myself asking for an epi. But he's showing good signs of coming on time so we'll see. I have BH all day every day and weird cramping so hopefully my body is getting prepared. His head is snug against my bladder too lol.

Sounds like you will probably go before 40 weeks! Just remember that if you feel like you're having menstrual cramps painful or not, if they keep coming for an hour or more or if they get increasingly painful/closer together, there's a good chance you might be in labour!

My biggest dilemma has been whether or not to have my waters broken, I had no idea up until not very long ago that it was considered a form of induction...however, I think a lot of women will have it done to get labour going where as I'm already in active labour but I just stop progressing and so it helps my body to keep going and I wonder if I will be in labour forever with it already being as exhausting as it is, im just not sure :shrug:

Sunnydee I know what you mean. We have this guide from our classes that help DH recognize the transition part of labor and when we need to go in. There is still a chance if I deliver fast it'd be in the car but we're willing to take it. I have a Tupperware box full of old towels and pee pads in case that happens. We figure well put the pee pad underneath me no matter what in case my water breaks.

I'm definitely an advocate for staying home as long as possible, but I can honestly think of nothing worse than driving anywhere in transition. Though transition is certainly an easier indication that it's baby time, I would still try to go before transition, or else just stay home and call the ambulance if you want to transfer after the birth. If you're seriously just a couple minutes from hospital maybe and you can try to time it between contractions I guess.

Sounds like you will probably go before 40 weeks! Just remember that if you feel like you're having menstrual cramps painful or not, if they keep coming for an hour or more or if they get increasingly painful/closer together, there's a good chance you might be in labour!

My biggest dilemma has been whether or not to have my waters broken, I had no idea up until not very long ago that it was considered a form of induction...however, I think a lot of women will have it done to get labour going where as I'm already in active labour but I just stop progressing and so it helps my body to keep going and I wonder if I will be in labour forever with it already being as exhausting as it is, im just not sure :shrug:

Thank you for that. Having never been in labor before I wondered if the cramps had to be painful or not. I do get menstrual like cramps frequently but they usually go away within ten minutes are so. They're not painful either it just feels like I'm going to get my period.

NDH when it comes to that I'm just going to use my gut on when to go the hospital. I told DH last night I feel like the car ride will make me sick. But I know we can make it there within ten minutes so I'm not too horribly worried about it.

That sounds like braxton hicks you are experiencing, all normal. Maybe this is a bad explanation, but when you are in labor, you sort of just know. You lose your plug, you have that "bloody show," and you ave a clear out, basically diarrhea, and every time you eat, even if it's something small, you get the runs again. I was pretty much doubling over myself crying because of how painful the contractions were. That's established labor :haha:

That sounds like braxton hicks you are experiencing, all normal. Maybe this is a bad explanation, but when you are in labor, you sort of just know. You lose your plug, you have that "bloody show," and you ave a clear out, basically diarrhea, and every time you eat, even if it's something small, you get the runs again. I was pretty much doubling over myself crying because of how painful the contractions were. That's established labor :haha:

I think it's worth noting that every person experiences labour differently ;) for me my labour felt like the worst menstrual cramps I've ever had but it started off like painless menstrual cramps, I never had the clearing out that a lot of women experience, and don't even remember having a bloody show with either of my labours so it's good not to rule out the pains you're having especially if they're persistent! I hope it's soon for you!

Thanks ladies! I think you're right it's my BH getting worse. I was in so much pain yesterday I was crying like a crazy woman. But DH and I did our labor positions and it all went away. I'm glad they help!

Oh gotch'ya! Silly me I didn't even look at your signature haha. I still hope it goes easier. It's amazing how every pregnancy and birth is different. The birth center sounds amazing. Our hospital is pretty good about all natural but they still make me nervous. I just don't see giving birth as a medical event unless something is wrong.

This about the hospital!!! That is the most nerve-wracking for me, especially since I started out at a private birth center before moving. My hospital also seems really good about natural-births...but it's still a hospital. So I just have to wait and see I guess lol.

I also think I'll be going by my gut feeling on when to leave for the hospital. Ours is about 35-40 minutes away, so I know we can't leave too late...it's also in a pretty rough neighborhood, so if we leave too early I'll just be roaming the halls of the facility lol. We have a hospital closer but my midwives aren't there (or any midwives for that matter)...and they have something around a 50% c-section rate.

My braxton hicks seem to be getting gradually worse as well. Our Bradley instructor said that often, not always, but often more braxton hicks during pregnancy leads to a quicker and easier labor/deliver. I sure hope so! I told DH if that ends up the case for me, I should be a rock star when the time comes! :rofl:

That is far April! I'm sure you'll make it just fine though. Our hospital was so calm I really do feel a bit better about all of it.

Man if that's true I think I'll be fine lol. I get BH all day every day. It's to the point I just ignore it lol.

It is, but I agree, I feel like I'll know when we need to leave. And if I'm wrong, well, I think as much as he'd hate it, DH could seriously handle things if he had to. :haha: I feel pretty good about the place as well. I've actually had one of the nurses during two of my prenatal appointments as she's doing clinicals with my midwife practice for her schooling to become a nurse practitioner. I really really liked her, and she said while she might be biased, she loves the people she works with, so I feel like that's a good sign.

Ha, right!? I have some that are strong enough not to be ignored, but overall, it's like, "oh, stomach was just tight. huh" :rofl:

I notice mine the most when I suddenly can't breath. It's funny because it still takes a minute to figure out why. Then I'm like oh yeah BH....

So I had a false labor situation yesterday and I'll be honest, it's going to take some serious focus and help from DH for me to stay natural. That hurt and that wasn't even the worst.

I notice mine the most when I suddenly can't breath. It's funny because it still takes a minute to figure out why. Then I'm like oh yeah BH....

So I had a false labor situation yesterday and I'll be honest, it's going to take some serious focus and help from DH for me to stay natural. That hurt and that wasn't even the worst.

Hehe you sound like me! Every time DH and I would DTD during my last month I would have these super awful tightening pains that made me actually go to the hospital twice. Both times they stopped within a day, but woah they did not feel like any braxton hicks to me! To my understanding braxton hicks aren't supposed to hurt, right? LOL. Wasn't until I sat up with the worst diarrhea pain ever, to notice my water break...that was real labor for me! It just felt like god awful diarrhea.

Haha! Yeah I could see that! I've had BH that hurt but nothing compared to the false labor. That to me felt like the worse period cramps I've ever had. It was down real low not an all over like BH. Luckily I knew it probably wasn't the real deal so I just sent a warning text to DH and then dealt with it until it went away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->