Alternatives to formula for a 6 month old

lau86

Reaction score
I know this is a long shot, but my son hates the taste of formula. Is there anything else I can give him as a main drink?

Have you tried different formulas? Or even thought it may be the bottle he doesn't like and not the formula? X

I've only tried three bottles.... Avent, tommy tippee and mam. I've tried Aptamil powder and ready made too.
Maybe I could try another formula I was just under the impression they All tasted the same...
I also tried expressing and he won't have that either!
I'm going back to work 3 days and he will struggle without me :(

If you tried expressing and he won't have that, it may be the bottle he dislikes. I'm assuming he drinks breastmilk without any fuss, just won't take it from a bottle?

You could try other bottles, etc. But honestly, at 6 months, you might look at sippys or straw cups or even open cups. If you can, try and give him EBM for a while out of a new cup along with a formula so you can see if it is the cup or the formula, you know?

Do you have to give formula if you are able to express?

Oh and I've never FF, but I believe babies can go through several before they find one they like.

My son will not take formula offered by me. My dh has to feed him the daily bottle for now as we transition. Has someone besides you tried offering the formula? He may be refusing because you have the good stuff right behind the bottle lol. Oddly, my son will take ebm from me.

Does he know how to drink out of a bottle? LO was ebf until 6 months and just can't get the hang of a bottle. She drinks great out of a sippy cup.

I thought he might like mam bottles as he has mam dummies so the teats are the same. I just think no bottle will be close enough to the real thing for his liking.
I can express but i can only get a couple of ounces each day.
I know I must sound like I can't be bothered trying different options but I had this problem with my older son and he never drank formula....
Hubby and my mum have tried giving him a bottle and he hasn't taken it

Well, it's difficult to express when you are feeding full time, you don't get much because your body makes the right amount. When you go away all day to work, the pump gets what the baby normally gets, so you can pump more - what the baby would normally get.

Have you tried a sippy, etc, something other than a bottle?

My bf peer supporter always told me he'd take a bottle if he had to. I never pushed as it more a convenience thing for me.

It will be harder, you trying to give him a bottle too. I'd be tempted to leave the house for a couple of hours see if someone else could be more successful.

I did try a sippy cup but it was with his solids so he may not have been interested because of that. When my mum tried a bottle I was out, when I got back he was crying but still wouldn't take the bottle. I was gone around 5 hours.
I don't know if he knows how to drink from a bottle.
The whole pumping at work thing... That is a whole different can of worms. I don't do an office job so not sure where I would pump and also it's very busy. I was hoping bit to have to do that but if needs must I will try.
I just want to be able to feed him myself! I know plenty of women have to go back to work way before this though and they manage

Yeah, I went back at 3 months. I don't know how it is in the UK, your rights are protected to pump at work and by law they have to provide you with a place and reasonable breaks to pump in the US. But I have a desk job, so it's probably easier than a non desk job.

Maybe try a different sippy? Without food? someone else offer? Sometimes it takes a while to find one they will take, especially when BF has been established for so long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->