Am I being crazy or is my doctor in the wrong?? Please some advice!!

ftm1

Reaction score
I have a 7 week 6 day appointment last Friday. It went well & I saw the heartbeat for a second time. It was 165 bpm. The following Monday on Memorial Day I had to go to the ER for some dehydration. I expected to only have a drip done. However, in addition they did an ultrasound. When they came into do it I had just woken up & wasn't paying much attention. My OBGYN updated my chart today & I remembered the hospital said the baby's bpm was 130. She said it was probably sleeping. Now I have been stressing all day because thats like a 35 beat drop & I was a few days into 8 weeks. The only things I could think of to why is I hadn't ate when I went to the ER, I was half asleep when they did the ultrasound, and it was transabdominal vs transvaginal. I sent a message to my OB explaining my concern and she was kind of just short while blowing off my question. I am thankful she gave me an answer but, it was just a simple "Yes the babies heart rate changes." THEN as I'm looking through my chart I see she has also marked me as a high risk first trimester? I had some spotting after sex twice but at my check up she had 0 concerns. I asked why she had put that & she said she doesn't know what I'm talking about but maybe because of my younger age. Then told me we could talk at my next appointment which defeats the point because thats in 4 weeks & ill be out of my first trimester. This is already a super stressful time for me & I don't have many people to talk to. I am just confused. Does anyone know what course of action I should take? Also, is there any way I can get in contact with the ER to find the actual heart-rate numbers? They took great care of me but I was half out of it and i'm convincing myself it was lower than 130 I just cant remember clearly.

I think your doctor is right - the heart rate can change drastically depending on what baby is doing. If baby was actively waving little limb buds around the first time and sleeping this time...well, your heart rate changes by more than that between exercise and sleep, right? So does baby's.

As for 'high risk', it's just what they have to put down if you have any bleeding in the first trimester, even if it's common for you or they can see an abrasion in the vaginal vault that is the source of the blood. It could be worse, two of mine got 'threatened miscarriage' and one 'threatened spontaneous abortion' and I bled with each of them. (I also get labeled 'high risk' for being 40, so it might be because of your age if you're really young, but it's probably the spotting.)

I know it's easy to say 'don't worry' but I do think, from what you said and my own experience and second-hand knowledge (I have 11 sisters, so I have a lot to draw from!) that the baby is okay in there.

If you really want to get your ER records, the hospital should have a records department that you would record your visit. There'll be paperwork to fill out and possibly a fee before you can get hold of it, but you can start by calling and asking them what you need to do to see it.

I think your doctor is right - the heart rate can change drastically depending on what baby is doing. If baby was actively waving little limb buds around the first time and sleeping this time...well, your heart rate changes by more than that between exercise and sleep, right? So does baby's.

As for 'high risk', it's just what they have to put down if you have any bleeding in the first trimester, even if it's common for you or they can see an abrasion in the vaginal vault that is the source of the blood. It could be worse, two of mine got 'threatened miscarriage' and one 'threatened spontaneous abortion' and I bled with each of them. (I also get labeled 'high risk' for being 40, so it might be because of your age if you're really young, but it's probably the spotting.)

I know it's easy to say 'don't worry' but I do think, from what you said and my own experience and second-hand knowledge (I have 11 sisters, so I have a lot to draw from!) that the baby is okay in there.

If you really want to get your ER records, the hospital should have a records department that you would record your visit. There'll be paperwork to fill out and possibly a fee before you can get hold of it, but you can start by calling and asking them what you need to do to see it.

Thank you a lot for your reply!! I have OCD & Generalized Anxiety & I see a counselor weekly. I expected to be anxious but I worry about every.single.thing. I appreciate the reply again.

Even without GA, pregnancy makes you a nervous wreck. I totally get you. This whole community is here to help you find a good, solid path for your pregnancy. :hugs:

Are you on any medication for OCD and anxiety? I was consultant led and had more scans just by being under weight on my BMI and I had came off my anxiety/depression medication the day I found out I was pregnant. So I was classed more high risk instantly.

It could possibly be that they've put you under high risk because of OCD and anxiety? Generally thats just because midwives will likely offer you more support and generally ask more questions about your mental well being to make sure you're in a positive place.

I hadn't even realised they put me under consultant led because I thought the additional appointments were normal. It's like they expected me to know I was consultant led without them saying and without explaining why, it was my first pregnancy so I hadn't a clue?! But at 37 weeks into my first pregnancy thats when I realised why I was consultant led haha.

I agree it could be because of your OCD and GAD or the bleeding. I had my kids at 17 & 19 (pregnant at 16 & 18) and wasn't high risk, I've actually not heard of that being a reason before. :shrug: I have GAD too so I really do get the worry about it. :hugs:

Babies heart rates (and ours!) can change loads depending on activity. Nothing to worry about there at all x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->