Am I being difficult?

I feel like I live in a pretty backwards place and we have baby kept with us, skin to skin, delayed cord clamping, ect. I would definitely not be too happy either. Sounds like a lot of outdated practices. :(

I do hope you get the birth you desire. Maybe take a tour of the maternity hospital and ask questions? I found that helped a lot with my first to answer many of m questions.

Whereabouts in the US are you? We’ve been here since Feb 2016.

Definitely feeling like the cultural differences are going to be hard, there is no birth option that I’m happy about either in my area so that’s playing on my mind. I’m not sure how much notice they’ll take if I write out all the things I’d like, things that I’m not happy about etc

No offense to my US friends but where I am at least, it seems a bit old fashioned regarding many things, like having an active labour, or water, intermittent fetal monitoring, you have to request baby doesn’t go to the nursery, skin to skin isn’t the norm etc etc I could go on!!! Things I’d take for granted happening in the UK I feel like I’ll have to request here and I’m not sure how well received it’ll be.

Maybe you would be happier delivering with a midwife or doula in a specific birthing center and not a hospital ? This way you can avoid many of the tests you aren’t comfortable with and interventions etc.

Is it just hcg tests? I know my mw lets me opt out of anything u want, but the early blood tests were hiv, iron levels, and blood type for rh.

I've had 2 pregnancies with them before so they have my results and had an iron level done in the previous month so I skipped all the blood tests. I do have to do and a1c for diabetes but that's my history as well.

You can certainly opt out of any tests you like but is it possible for them to deny you care based on those choices? I'm not sure. I would clarify what the tests are for. There's no need for an hcg test but there is a pregnancy serum that's a yes or no pregnant rather than a number.

Very lucky your dr made you skip the prenatal Panal this time! I had 3 kids with my OB and he makes me re do tests every single time. This past pregnancy I was annoyed and asked if it was really necessary to repeat all the hiv testing and so on and he said that he repeats it every pregnancy even a few months apart as “you never know” he says...he isn’t wrong, I get it

I don't see the point in them if you are not bleeding etc. I agree with you x

Definitely feeling like the cultural differences are going to be hard, there is no birth option that I’m happy about either in my area so that’s playing on my mind. I’m not sure how much notice they’ll take if I write out all the things I’d like, things that I’m not happy about etc

No offense to my US friends but where I am at least, it seems a bit old fashioned regarding many things, like having an active labour, or water, intermittent fetal monitoring, you have to request baby doesn’t go to the nursery, skin to skin isn’t the norm etc etc I could go on!!! Things I’d take for granted happening in the UK I feel like I’ll have to request here and I’m not sure how well received it’ll be.

Maybe you would be happier delivering with a midwife or doula in a specific birthing center and not a hospital ? This way you can avoid many of the tests you aren’t comfortable with and interventions etc.

My ds was born in a birth Centre with midwives, but it was next door to the hospital so had that reassurance. Here I’m considered high risk because of my bicornuate uterus and although I’ve not looked into it yet, the only birth Centre close to me is quite a distance from the hospital so I’m not sure they’d take me.

I'm in Malone, NY. It's a small town by the Canadian border. I'm originally from Nottingham though. How about you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->