Am I being unreasonable? Chicken pox.

TTCabundle

Reaction score
We have been invited round tl my OH's friends house. They have two LOs who have just came out in chicken pox! I have said to OH id rathee we didnt go, ive never had chicken pox and i dont fancy getting them now. Hes phoned his friend and said im 'paranoid' about chicken pox and now they all think im making a huge deal out of nothing. Id just rather not get them. Am I being unreasonable? I feel like im being silly now, ugh

Ive had chickenpox so would happily be round those with it but if i hadnt then i would stay away.

When my kids had it we had a plumber due to come round but i rang and let him know incase he hadnt had it.

Both my kids have just got over chicken pox. I wouldnt let anyone in the house expect us. Ive never had it and i didnt catch it from kids.

Thanks! Id go if id have had them before, im just a bit wary seeing as though ive never had them x

Dont think i would really go when its someone elses kids. Bit different if its ur own cus u dont really have a choice lol

As you haven't had it, I can definitely see why. Ive heard it's pretty horrid for an adult?

I've had them but I'd avoid contact if I hadn't.

I don't know why they think that's paranoid? Its pretty contagious, and not pleasant for an adult. If I were in your place and hadn't had it before, I wouldn't be going either. Its different if your own kids catch it and you have no choice in the matter of being exposed, but these aren't your kids, so why chance it?

ETA: Also not sure why they can't just reschedule without making a big deal out of it.

It's not paranoid! I don't blame to for not wanting to risk getting chicken pox. I wouldn't go either.

Currently have 1 with chicken pox here. Even though she is no longer contagious I would still inform any visitors as waiting for number 2 to get it. I would totally understand if they didn't want to come round

I wouldn't go either. If you've not had it have you not thought about having the vacvination it's free on the nhs for adults over 12 who haven't had chicken pox.

I wouldn't go if I were you. Both my boys had it last year and my husband got it as he'd never had it before. He was much more poorly than the children - absolutely covered in pox and laid up in bed for a few days. No way would I deliberately expose yourself if you don't have to.

I would actually think it really silly for an adult with no immunity to expose themselves to chickenpox. It can make you so very ill.

I've never had it and last year persuaded my GP to give me the vaccine as I spent my last pregnancy concerned I'd come into contact with it and don't want that again if we have a second. It can be dangerous for the unborn baby if the mum catches chickenpox while pregnant.

Saying all that, my DH is clueless with illness stuff and hates turning down invites so I'm sure he'd also feel bad saying we weren't doing something in the same circumstances. I, however, would stand firm so don't feel bad!

I wouldn't go either, no harm in keeping yourself safe and definitely not paranoid!

I wouldn't go. my husband caught chicken pox as an adult and was very ill with it :( However it may be you have a natural immunity to it and that's why you've never caught it in the past. My mum discovered she was immune to it during lots of various tests she was having after contracting MRSA when she had an operation to remove bladder cancer.

I think they need to look into the effects of chicken pox in adults a little and then tell you you're making a drama out of it :dohh:

Thankyou everyone! Im glad its not just me being paranoid. I didn't end up going, definitely not risking it.

I wasn't aware there was a vaccine, I'll definitely ask my doctor about it. I'm a huge hypochondriac so things like this really scare me! x

Thankyou everyone! Im glad its not just me being paranoid. I didn't end up going, definitely not risking it.

I wasn't aware there was a vaccine, I'll definitely ask my doctor about it. I'm a huge hypochondriac so things like this really scare me! x

Yes it's just two doses. It's routine in the US but not in UK so harder to get on the nhs. But the effects on unborn babies is readily known so the royal college of obs and gynae do recommend the vaccine for women ttc. Getting your GP to provide it though is a different matter. I had to keep on at mine for quite a while!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->