Am i doing the wrong thing? Opinions please

linsg

pregnant with #2
Reaction score
To cut 2 very long stories short i have severe hyperemesis when i'm pregnant (constant sickness, loose an average of 2 stone in 1st tri).

In my last pregnancy i had an allergic reaction to the anti sickness medication and ended up on steroids (which didn't work). I was given a medication called ondansetron once - and this is the only thing that stopped me vomiting. I was not given this again as apparently the effects of it on an unborn baby are not known. I was so ill that i couldn't get out of hosp, my husband nearly lost his job coz he had to look after our then 1 yr old and my marriage was temporarily very rocky!

I am now very sick and its snowballing fast, i have done some research about this medication (ondansatron) and discovered that it seems to be prescribed frequently in the US!!! and that there are no KNOWN risks to a baby.

I think i have no decided to ask for this medication to help me survive this 1st tri.

What do you think ladies, am i making a mistake?

Ps sorry about the long post

you can always ask, if it's REALLY risky, chances are the doctors won't prescribe it.. :) so worth asking..
xxxx

I've got hyperemesis and have been bugging my gp for odansetron but she said no. I was admitted to hopsital because the sickness was so bad, on a drip etc and finally got given the odansetron and wow it was amazing! Managed to get another 4 tablets to take on a really bad day from the consultant at the hospital. I'm now going to go backto my gp and demand it as the consultant did prescribe it.

I think you should ask for it and if you get refused then say you want referred to the hospital/consultant. Another reason they don't prescribe it over here is the cost apparantly its £2.50 per tablet which is very high. Keep fighting for it though.

Also even if there where minor risks to the baby the benefits outway the risks with hyperemesis. Being so dehyrated and vomitting constantly is very very dangerous.

good luck xxx

I find this with a lot of medication - here it hasnt been trialled enough to be classed as prescribable where as its often used in the US.

Only you know if you can really get through the next 6 weeks or so and if it will really impact on your life, marriage, oh's job - and then you weigh it up and make the decision.

I hate being sick, so I know if I were in your shoes I would be looking into finding something to help.

Do you think you could try the first medication again to see if you react this time. Just thinking that this pregnancy may mean you may not react to it.

Good luck - I really feel for you, my worst nightmare being that sick!

Thanks for your responses girls, am trying to contact my doctor now, i'll let you know how i get on.

Chocolate - I can't have the medication again, i'm even supposed to wear a medical bracelet with info about it so i'm never given it by accident.

I find this with a lot of medication - here it hasnt been trialled enough to be classed as prescribable where as its often used in the US.

Only you know if you can really get through the next 6 weeks or so and if it will really impact on your life, marriage, oh's job - and then you weigh it up and make the decision.

I hate being sick, so I know if I were in your shoes I would be looking into finding something to help.

Do you think you could try the first medication again to see if you react this time. Just thinking that this pregnancy may mean you may not react to it.

Good luck - I really feel for you, my worst nightmare being that sick!

Can I just add that hyperemesis is more than just morning sickness and it doesnt usually end at 6 weeks, some women get it through their whole pregnancy. And usually if you have had it before you will get it with your next pregnancy.

xxx

its off to hospital i go, my hubby has spoken to my consultant and they want me on the ward....bummer. But i suppose i get to speak to em face to face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->