am I living in a dream world? (food shopping)

I spend about £80 a week and it feeds 4 adult portions and 2 babies. Here's how-

I work out the cheapest option for EVERYTHING - for example penne pasta sainsburys normal brand £1.79 for a kg (not bad), value range is 39p for 500g= 78p a kg (much better!). It's exactly the same thing just different packaging. Bananas are cheaper a kg loose etc etc

I don't buy crisps/buiscuits etc as they are an unnecessary expense. I do buy cheap chocolate mousse for the eldest 2. Sainsburys basics 28p x 2. Which is a lot cheaper and healthier. I also only buy cordial for them to drink. I do sometimes bake them cakes/buns.

I make all our meals from scratch and buy all my spices/herbs and speciality ingredients (creamed coconut, soy sauce etc) from an international supermarket. It is loads cheaper to buy these things from there rather than the supermarket.

I save money on meat by buying frozen bulk packs of meat and defrosting it in the day I'm going to use it. It means I never waste meat and it's lots cheaper.

I bulk every meal up with vegetables and beans of some description (chickpeas, cannelloni beans, kidneys beans etc) it's cheaper than extra meat, very healthy and filling.

My best tip is to find out exactly what you are using, stick a copy of your latest till receipt onto the fridge and use a highlighter pen to cross things off as you use them. When you next go shopping you can easily see he things you've actually used. Plan your shopping around using what you have left rather than wasting it. Also don't be drawn in by packaging, the cheap options are often just as good if not better as they don't have as many additives (except rice crispies never buy the cheapest rice crispies!)

Thanks ladies! Well I did my online shop for a week last night and did meal planning etc and spent 60 pounds. So will see if that covers everything. Im desperate to get the bill down. Just have to do the shopping when oh is not here as he is a bad influence. Lol

Right, just got it down to 50 pounds. Chopped and changed a few items. Lets just hope he doesnt realise. Lol.

I spend about 40€ a week (which is about £35) for the three of us. We either go to netto or lidl, don't really bother with the more expensive places. Don't see the point in spending more on something when you can get the same thing cheaper elsewhere. I always make a list and stick to it. I make all my meals from scratch too. Works out a lot cheaper than processed ready made meals. We used to buy ready meals and we would spend about 60€ a week so managed to get it down to 40€. Sometimes it's 50€ in a week as I have to buy nappies, toiletries and cleaning stuff but I buy in bulk so it lasts ages. I sometimes buy nappies from amazon as it works out cheaper per nappy than the ones in the shop and they deliver really quick too.

I spend between £60 and £120 a week, normally depending on what we can afford. That includes Tegan's packed lunch, and she has fruit puree pouches as she can't eat normal fruit so they add quite a bit onto the bill, and I still buy pullups and baby wipes. I'd say we eat pretty well, our freezer is almost always full and we have a cupboard full of tinned food as well.

However much I spend that also includes £10 for a weeks worth of veggies for the guinea pigs too.

Thanks ladies! Well I did my online shop for a week last night and did meal planning etc and spent 60 pounds. So will see if that covers everything. Im desperate to get the bill down. Just have to do the shopping when oh is not here as he is a bad influence. Lol

I've always been told to shop alone if possible and to shop when you've just eaten so you don't buy anything impulsive. Using a list and even taking a calculator can help you remain focussed too.

Depending what we need shopping can be anywhere from £69 right down to £30 a week for us 3 we shop at aldi but get some bits at asda also but we really notice a price difference between the two xx

Anywhere from £50-£75. I try to only buy things that are on my shopping list and never ever go shopping with hubby! He is incredibly particular about what we buy so I have to sneak things in - such as non-branded items and swapping to 'smart price'. He's such a snob, it's no wonder we haven't got any money!!!

£50-60 a week doesnt include formula and nappies.
I buy meat 3 for 10 one week then a bag of frozen chicken breasts and large pack of mince the following week.
I do online shopping click and collect with tesco. I by chocolate cakes a bottle of wine and fruit amd veg all im with that never allow myself to spend more than £60. I buy wipes and nappies from home bargains and ds is lactose intolerant so milk is on perscription. We also eat out once a week.

i do a big shop at the end of the month (when i get paid) and spend about £200 (ish). That includes formula (x4), usually some beer as well and meat (for us and the dog) plus veggies for the month for the chickens. I will then cook up a load of meals, portion and freeze for the month.

i then do weekly top ups of about £20 (bread, milk etc). Wipes i buy when they are on offer. We use reusable nappies. I also include snacks for the baby in that now. i have a freezer draw full of food for her so no need to worry about that for a while!

I find Lidl is quite good for veg and stuff.

i do a big shop at the end of the month (when i get paid) and spend about £200 (ish). That includes formula (x4), usually some beer as well and meat (for us and the dog) plus veggies for the month for the chickens. I will then cook up a load of meals, portion and freeze for the month.

i then do weekly top ups of about £20 (bread, milk etc). Wipes i buy when they are on offer. We use reusable nappies. I also include snacks for the baby in that now. i have a freezer draw full of food for her so no need to worry about that for a while!

I find Lidl is quite good for veg and stuff.

I love Lidl! I managed to do my weekly shop for £35 in there Friday!

£45 a week budget here that's for household and food for 2 adults and a hungry toddler.. so excludes nappies and toiletries but includes like washing stuff. I don't let myself go over it just takes practice, and shopping at aldi! I buy enough milk to do a week and buy two loaves of bread one of which goes in the freezer and comes out when we run out of the first so we don't have to go back so aren't tempted to spend more! I get loads for the money the fridge never looks bare, just have to think about what you buy and meal plan!

I'm so impressed with you all! I need to take some tips - my shop was £220 this week...for a week, And I cook everything from scratch! :-/

We spend about 60-70 a week on the 3 of us (this doesn't include nappies and dog food)

We shop at tesco and buy fresh, never buy ready meals except pizzas and fish fingers.

I tend to buy mid range stuff as in not smart price but not finest (in most circumstances)... there are few higher priced stuff I wouldn't compromise on like ethically sourced meat and eggs (freerange)

There are only tiny aldi, lidl and asdas here so there never enough choice as the big tesco we have! I went to asda the other day to see if I could cut costs but got so annoyed that they didn't have lots of stuff I wanted and it ended up being similar price to tesco anyway!

I am wanting to get in to the habit of using the local veg market more but haven't managed it yet :dohh:

We spend about 60-70 a week on the 3 of us (this doesn't include nappies and dog food)

We shop at tesco and buy fresh, never buy ready meals except pizzas and fish fingers.

I tend to buy mid range stuff as in not smart price but not finest (in most circumstances)... there are few higher priced stuff I wouldn't compromise on like ethically sourced meat and eggs (freerange)

There are only tiny aldi, lidl and asdas here so there never enough choice as the big tesco we have! I went to asda the other day to see if I could cut costs but got so annoyed that they didn't have lots of stuff I wanted and it ended up being similar price to tesco anyway!

I am wanting to get in to the habit of using the local veg market more but haven't managed it yet :dohh:

we are the same (apart from the eggs - I have my own chickens!). We also try to buy products that haven't been tested on animals (bizarrely tesco own brand etc) so thats the washing powder etc that we get.

we are the same (apart from the eggs - I have my own chickens!). We also try to buy products that haven't been tested on animals (bizarrely tesco own brand etc) so thats the washing powder etc that we get.

Aww, chickens would be brill!.... My neighbour has some so sometimes we randomly get a box left on the doorstep :).... Also when I'm driving, if I see them for sale (usually outside peoples houses!) I have to stop :)

Same with the ethically sourced home cleaners/make up.... it is surprising how much can be found with own branded stuff.

Aww, chickens would be brill!.... My neighbour has some so sometimes we randomly get a box left on the doorstep :).... Also when I'm driving, if I see them for sale (usually outside peoples houses!) I have to stop :)

Same with the ethically sourced home cleaners/make up.... it is surprising how much can be found with own branded stuff.

I love having chickens. A bit noisy when they lay (well mine are anyway) but brilliant fun. We have young birds, 5 of them, so get between 3 and 5 eggs a day so we sell some to to the neighbours. Dont make any money from them as I spoil the birds, they get the left over fruit and veg though as well which helps with wastage.

If I had the space - and the energy - I would love to be able to grow my own veg. we do have potatoes growing in the garden as well as herbs though. I like knowing where my food comes from.

I think we need to go back to the days where we bought local meats and veg as standard.

Our budget is strictly a maximum of £65 most weeks, that's for everything for everyone. We do buy a lot of basics items but majority of those are from scratch ingredients, very very rarely I buy instant noodles, mash mix etc. It also does include nappies and wipes, 'milk', any cleaning products needed etc. This week the shopping was £70 but for that I got several additional items I don't normally buy, because Eid is coming up, such as vegan ice cream and puddings and also some cleaning/household bits and pieces and frozen veggie and bean burgers. A friend sent me some Sainsbury's voucher codes she was sent as she didn't need them, it was meant to be £79.99 but I got it for £70 exactly. With our shopping I am usually very organised and very strict and if we run out of something we just have to make do with other things we have rather than going out doing top up shops. Weekly shopping is definitely better than doing it further spaced out xx

Plus we always get loads of fresh and frozen fruit and veg for that money. I have a bit of a system where I rotate what I buy, so frozen mixed veg for example you wouldn't need to buy that every week you'd need to buy it every 2-3 weeks, on those other weeks you buy another item instead. Cereals we buy the big basics ones (but I agree avoid the rice crispies!) and these last for several weeks. In those interim weeks we buy other items with that money. There are some things I won't scrimp on for example I always buy the cherry tomatoes and not the basics tomatoes as the basics tomatoes are horrid and I can make a pack of cherry tomatoes go that much further xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->