Amby nest - safety issues?

becstar

Sleep is for the weak
Reaction score
We've been using our nest since she was born and she sleeps well in it. However, I recently saw this: https://community.babycenter.com/post/a17295975/amby_bed_recall and it's making me worry. I can't understand though how a baby having its head against the side (which from what I understand is what happened) could be a suffocation risk, as it's just cotton which I would have thought you could breathe through?

I am concerned that Amby.com has been taken offline but the UK and Australian sites work and there's nothing on them... I also know that a poster on this site posts about this and I don't want this to get inflammatory or start something libellous but I am wondering if anyone else has heard of this and what people think?

I just found this on the Australian site:

Medical School, University of Otago, N.Z. -Carbon Dioxide Test (rebreathing) - 1993

Baby Hammock Test Results: Carbon Dioxide Testing

Hammock was tested with a mechanical model of a 3 month old infant. This model breaths warmed, humidified gas with an end expiratory plateau of 5% carbon dioxide The head of the model was placed face up, face to the side and face down in the hammock.

Results face up: There was no significant increase in inspired carbon dioxide

Results with face to the side: Not touching side material, inspired carbon dioxide rose to an average of 0.32%. Touching the material, inspired carbon dioxide rose to an average of 1.28%

Neither of these levels would be considered dangerous.

Results face down: Very variable as it was difficult to keep the model face down, without it rolling back to it's side or back.

Assessment: Pass

Overall there is minimal danger of rebreathing even if a baby rolls on to it's side against the material. We would like to see a warning on the package not to place babies in the hammock on their front (prone). Because of the design of this product we think it unlikely that a baby will roll on to the prone position or willingly sleep prone in this product

Dept of Paediatrics & Child Health
Medical School
University of Otago
Dunedin, New Zealand

I wonder about this too, and why it's going on quietly/behind-the-scenes. I emailed Amby a few months ago when their website in the U.S. was still up but they weren't shipping to the U.S.; they replied that they were just redoing their instruction manual and would be shipping again soon.

After a few weeks I checked back as they had instructed, but the website was gone. I emailed again to the same address and this time the email bounced. I emailed their Australian website and they said they no longer have a distributor in the U.S.. I went to Dr. Sears' site (where I'd originally found the link to Amby) and there are no longer any links to Amby anywhere on Dr. Sears (he now recommends the Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper).

Strange!

There has been more than one death associated with this product I am to believe....this is what makes me wary and is why I wouldnt use one. The whole thing seems highly suspicious to me and I would take extra care if you continue to use yours...

Personally I still plan on getting and using one of these, from what I've seen the issue was that the head was lower then the feet, well, tbh, if I set up a bed for my baby and this was the case then to me it would be common sense not to let my baby sleep in it, I wouldn't sleep with my head lower then my feet, why would I allow my baby to??

The amby nest has continually passed ALL its safety inspections in both the UK., Europe and Australia and even in the USA there has still not been an official recall of them, (unlike a cot brand that has been recalled today due to a number of suffocation related deaths from its drop side)
In Australia they are routinely used (and have been for MANY years) in hospital premmie units, NCIU units and post natal wards due to the benifits of the nest and the way it works. I personallly don't believe that Internationally recognised childrens hospitals would continue using them if there was any cause for concern regarding their safety.

Obviously this is all my opinion and each to their own, but for me, I'm still very much looking forward to using one of these nests once my baby arrives.

I'm with Kota, we have no intention of stopping use of our Nest. Romilly loves it, and sleeps so well. As Kota says, I do not believe that hospitals would continue to use it, or that it would pass the UK's and Australia's safety protocols, if it was that big a risk.

There has been more than one death associated with this product I am to believe....this is what makes me wary and is why I wouldnt use one. The whole thing seems highly suspicious to me and I would take extra care if you continue to use yours...

Having read some more on it, it seems that since 2008, 3 babies in the USA have died whilst sleeping in an Amby nest. I haven't been able to find if this has been judged to be *because* of the nest, or not. And I'm sorry, but babies also die in cots, beds, sofas... I can't imagine how hard it is to lose a child (I tear up even thinking about it). What I don't want is the emotiveness of the situation clouding things.

Frankly, if the baby's head is significantly higher than their feet in the Amby (to the point where it can tip back), it's not been adjusted properly. There are instructions available on the Amby website, telling you how to adjust the Nest. Any product carries risks if it's not used properly - it shouldn't be "taking extra care" to ensure that you are actually using the Nest as per the instructions.

Can you post the link to that page? I can't seem to find it.

Oh I found this: https://www.nutmeglane.co.uk/docs_db/Assembly_Page_1.pdf

So Ilana is quite heavy and big (17lbish) and I have been putting her quite high up (head towards the back) as when I put her lower her head seems to be lower - but this is the opposite of what it says should happen? I am confused. I also can't work out what they mean by cinching the velcro?

Is it bad for her feet to be high (not higher than her head but maybe the same height?

I posted in another thread with pictures on how where the velcro is that they're talking about. Here's the link https://www.babyandbump.com/baby-club/217985-amby-hammock-why-were-not-sure-any-suggestions.html

Sorry, I'd post the pics again here, but am one-handed at the moment and this is easier :rofl:

This is true Eala, babies do die in all forms of nest, cot, crib etc. I lost a baby at 6 weeks old in a moses basket and as such I wont use one for night time sleeping anymore. I use an open sided crib instead. It makes me more aware and sensitive to this sort of situation especially in that the nest could be used poorly (with the baby positioned badly, not per instructions) a lot more easily than other cribs/cots/baskets hence my "extra caution" advise....takes no time or effort to be 100% sure you have positioned everything as it should be. I also think its prudent for those with small babies and these nests to use the "snuggler" that would stop a baby turning into the fabric at the side.

I really love the look of Amby's and am definitely thinking of getting one. Still got another 7 months to go though so will wait and see how the safety reviews go before buying, but it just seems as long as you place the baby correctly in them and follow their safety guides, all is fine. Fingers crossed!

we've now got ours set up and ready to go and I love it!! for those that are ultra concerned about the possibility of the baby rolling up against the edge you can buy a 'snuggler' from the site, (as well as other places) which will prevent this from happening!

https://www.amby.co.uk/images_db/tr_32967bb1d5cd97d0724cec38b63a62b6.jpg
https://www.amby.co.uk/images_db/tr_886c88a91f64cc8d8f3a698125aa23fe.jpg

Ahhh that's a good idea, I'll definitely get one of them, thanks Kota

I've got one I'm planning on using, though the safety info is news to me. We'll see how the baby likes it though. I was only planning to use it until baby gets more wiggly and mobile, not the up to 12 months it says.

According to AmbyBaby.com, "Consumers should stop using these beds immediately and find an alternative safe sleeping arrangement for your child." Here's a short explanation: https://www.mothering.com/amby-bed-recall.

Oh no :-/

I'll have to wait and see closer to my due date what the current opinion on them will be!

Information directly from the Amby site in the UK, from the inventor of the product himself.

https://www.amby.co.uk/site/pages.php?fid=0,11,93

Safety Concerns

Dear Parents

We have recently been made aware of postings on internet forums regarding the safety of the Amby Baby Hammock.
The Amby Baby Hammock has been sold worldwide since 1989, when I invented it for my daughter. Current sales figures for the year ending 2008 were in excess of 12000 Amby Hammocks sold worldwide.
Between 1989 and 2008, with over 50,000 sales, the Amby has achieved a remarkable safety record with no major incidents of injury or harm throughout the intervening nineteen years. This in itself is a record that we are justly proud of when you consider that in the USA alone there are sadly, approximately 2000 cases of SIDS every year. Most parents, Child Care Centres and Maternity Hospitals who have used or are currently using the Amby Hammock will testify to the fact that the Amby has had enormous benefits for reflux, collicky and generally fussy babies who suffer from chronic sleep deprivation.
Tragically in late 2009 we have assisted in the investigation into two infant fatalities in the USA. In both cases there is irrefutable evidence that the Hammock has been assembled and used incorrectly. Any infant death is a tragedy of immeasurable proportions and my most sincere condolences go to the families of these two infants.
After months of discussions with the CSPC of the United States, they have, in their wisdom decided not to ban the sale of the Amby in the US. We have, instead worked together to devise a “repair kit” that will minimize the side to side tilting of the hammock, a feature that is common to all baby hammocks suspended from a spring. This kit (patent pending) will set us apart from all other baby hammocks currently in the market.
As it is my firm commitment to ensure that the Amby Baby Hammock is a safe and viable infant bed, our company will make available to all our customers who want the kit. This will be available by the end of January 2010.
I have recently become the father again, of twins and my babies sleep exclusively in the Amby. If I had the slightest doubt that this wonderful product could be harmful to babies I would remove them from the market immediately.
I shall announce any further developments and answer any particular concerns through the Australian Website, www.babyhammocks.com contact [email protected]

Yours Sincerely
Ambrose Hooi
Chairman and Managing Director
Amby Baby Hammocks Pty
PO Box 805
Kenmore
Queensland 4069
Australia

Thought this might be good for people to read rather then speculation.

I've not got a amby nest as I wasn't keen on them in the shop but I've hit a moffi which is the same but differnt make and looks a lit strudier in real life for any1 who was thinking about having one! X

As I said, and as was said by others, it would seem like these accidents were due to the Amby being used incorrectly. No less tragic, but it's good to know the facts rather than people being scared off using a wonderful product because of a lack of information.

Our baby loves her Amby, and we'll be using it for as we can :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->