Amelia just had first rusk.

bexxie

Reaction score
Well my god I thougt it would be funny trying Amelia on a rusk but after weeks of her being starving hungry and she woke at 3am yesterday I thought I would try her on a rusk. So done one with 3oz's milk and said to Dave just gove her 2 teaspoons while I do dinner. Well 10 minutes later he is back saying Holy shit she ate the lot with no dribbles,OMG I was not impressed at her having that much in her first go but she LOVED it and her arms and legs were going and he said she was trying to grab the spoon off him to get it in her mouth.

I wont be giving her another til this sunday coming as dont want to wean this dramatically just thought I would try it.

Little piglet

Bex

Do you not think shes a little young?

I have had many arguments/debats with members about when to introduce solids, coz i will start around the 4 month mark instead of waiting till 6 months, but even i wouldnt do it at 2 months.
Rusks have alot of sugar in, plus gultun(sp?)

I personaly think its a bit young but thats just me.

x

Do you not think shes a little young?

I have had many arguments/debats with members about when to introduce solids, coz i will start around the 4 month mark instead of waiting till 6 months, but even i wouldnt do it at 2 months.
Rusks have alot of sugar in, plus gultun(sp?)

I personaly think its a bit young but thats just me.

x

I do agree but have gotten into too many arguments over this in the past :wacko: Personally I think definately not before 17 weeks and after that to see how they get on.

Hi Layla

I do understand where you are coming from but she is 12 weeks now (that ticker is showing different) and her weight is 15lb's 4 so size-wise the weight of 16-19 weeks she is on the 98th centile and is 2 above her line so on HV's advise I have tried a rusk. I am not stupid and would not do anything to intentionally hurt her and am of course treading very carefully hence why I said I wont try another rusk intil next week the same time. If Dave had his way sh would be on rusk again tomorrow.

Also with having older children I remember guidlines used to be 12 weeks I know I weaned Chloe then and that was all the fruit/veg at this age!

Like I said I do understand your reservations and I have spoke to Kina on this subject before,it is a hard one to decide as each child is so so different.

As for the Gluten yes I know this is in the Rusk and her digestive system may be a little immature to take it and that is why I am not shoving her full of them immediately and just given her a taster.

Bex

Sorry to be thick but why has the hv advised to give her a rusk once a week?

Alex was 16lb 3oz at 15 weeks (counts as 11 weeks on his chart) and the hv hasn't mentioned anything.

I hate the whole weaning issue, it's each mums choice but I don't think that the differing advice given by hv helps.

she didnt say give once a week I am choosing this as I want to play caution,HV has said give a rusk she hasnt specified times and days,it is to my discretion,I think the fact I have a 7 year old has more or less left things to me in way of giving me advice. I know what you mean by differing advice I think they are all contradictory to an extent.

Bloody weaning does my head in lol
bex

Each to their own i say. Every baby's hunger is different so we can't all go on about guide lines.

It used to be 4 months so it can't be that damaging.

No point in getting into a heated debate over it.:tease:

was 3 months 7 years ago reckon it will be 9 months next year lol crazy world wish they would stick to one bloody age limit and be consistent!
Not a heated debate tho Kina and Layla know what Iam like and they aint the types to be funny for someone having different view points to them,cool gels they are.....in fact if I am honest i am probably in wrong here and definately in the minority,and TBH it doesnt rest that great coz I may well be doing something harmful so I think I am going to take Kina's and Layla's advice and lay off the weaning at the moment because I dont feel that comftable.

Bex

Its ridiculous i wish they'd stop changing thegoal mposts, it was 3 months when Gabriel was little too.

If she is consistantly waking during night for feed then i would consider giving her something, but avoid rusks!

BTW my ticker for Kayleigh is wrong too.

Oh Bexxie i really know where you are coming from as they have really shifted the goal posts since we had Emily and Chloe!!!!
I wish they would make up there bloomin minds
I treaded really carefully with Jack as i was so confused in my own little head lol
I always satyed away from rusks, dunno why just didn't like them

What about just a little baby rice for her now and again?

Yes Jo I think I will do the rice,I feel like shit at the moment and really feel like I have let Melie down through me being pig-ignorant and thinking I know best. It doesnt help when my mum and mum-in law keep saying stuff like "gve them a rusk etc etc she is fine"

The pressure is so great,and dave doesnt help coz he hates her being so hungry all the time I mean I think 7 bottles of 8oz's is a lot for such a little tummy and that is the white SMA too.

Oh i dont knwo all trial and error I guess but dont want it at her expense.

Bex.x

I'm not getting into a heated debate about anything, like I said it's down to the individual. I was only expressing my personal opinion which is that I would definately not give anything to Alex before 17 weeks, he's a big boy too. I know though that he's not physically ready for food as he can't sit up or anything like that yet and has only recently started holding his head up and looking around.
Bex she is on a lot if she's having that and several breastfeeds a day. Is she still sleeping through? Ella used to sleep through but feed every couple of hours during the day. Also Alex has just come out of a major growth spurt (I was pulling my hair out he was feeding pretty much hourly) maybe Amelia is going through one too? Lasted a good week!!
Do what makes you and Amelia happy and healthy, personally I'd be a bit wary of rusks because of all the sugar they contain, particularly as Melie, like Alex, is at the top of the charts.

Oh don't be daft you haven't let her down at all, i found it really hard this time as i started Em at about 3 months, she was so hungry like Melie, and HV was like ok if you think thats best, with Jack i didn't dare say anyhing as they looked at me like i was satan!!

Mums and MILs are the worst, i swear if i was told to put rice/rusk in a bottle again i would have hit soemone!!

7 full bottles does seem a lot, i don't know what to suggest TBH
I would maybe give her a little rice once a day and see how she goes with it

You'll do what best i know, you would never do anything to harm Melie in anyway, but is so hard i found with a big age gap

yay bexxie well done hun!! ( i weaned Rhys around then)

think i will have a chat at the clinic to a different HV see what she says. Melie is still sleeping through apart from last night! Kina I think you may be right on the growth spurt I hadnt taken that into account.

Jo-Mums and mum-in laws want shooting i get that comment too lol

Terie-thanks hun you made me feel better

Am knocking rusks on head tho think it is defo wise-now anyone got any advice on my other post about the cot?

we havew rhys in his cot in our room for now... maybe try that

Im so shocked at an HV recomending rusks full stop, it used to be one of those old fashioned things, puting rusk in a bottle, a drop of gin in a bottle before bed and dipping a dummy in sugar to keep baby quiet (my SIL had her baby teeth rotted out thanks to this one!) Is your HV a bit old?

I think changes come about as we gain more understanding of our diet and development, in the same way that people used to think smoking was healthy!

Dont feel bad about it hun, if your going on advic from your HV its their fault for being so out of touch, I would definatly speak to another HV if you can.

Dont worry about Milies weight, she is a healthy size, just cause she is big it doesnt mean she needs more food. If she starts loosing weight or is waking earlier for feeds thats when you want to look at feeding her more.

My HV said I should give Seren some chips and ketchup for her to dip them in when she was 7 months old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->