Amnio tomorrow - What to expect???

Tracyface

Mum to Gorgeous George
Reaction score
Hi all

I am off having amnio tomorrow morning at 9am (as I have been put at a high risk for my age 1:35, age 32). My bloods skewed it, not the NT fold which measured 1.1mm at 12 weeks. I am bricking it, I have no idea what to expect at all! Trying to avoid Google...

Would any lovely ladies who've gone through this test like to shed some light as to what I can expect? How long it takes, pain, discomfort???

And will I be able to go back to work straight afterwards (I am an Office Manager and am up and about as well as desk work).

These past two weeks waiting for this test have been the longest ever. The next three days waiting for my results I can imagine will be even longer... :nope:

I'm not sure hun, but just wanted to say good luck :) someone on here had one like a week or two ago, said it was over and done with so quickly <3 xxxx

Hi Tracyface, I'll PM you shortly to let you know what mine was like (had it two weeks ago today). Have to go put up a fallen shower curtain first!

I had my amnio about two weeks ago. I wasn't high risk, but decided I wanted one regardless. There is a fairly long ultrasound a head of time. Then the doctor comes in to perform the amnio. she/he will go over your risk analysis from the blood work/nt scan, as well as the risk of miscarriage associated with the amnio. she will then rub your belly with iodine and insert the needle (using the ultrasound as guidance). Note: my mom told me when she had an amnio 27 years ago, they didn't use an ultrasound to guide the needle! the needle poke isn't really painful (far less painful then a flu shot). it will take between 30 seconds to 1 minute to extract the amniotic fluid. you may feel a little pressure, cramping during this part (but it isn't intense). Then, it is over. The doc will check the fetal heart rate, and you are on your way. I didn't feel anything afterwards. I went straight back to work (desk job). Avoid lifting heavy objects for a couple of days (also avoid sex for 24 hours). I did not experience any cramping, bleeding or leaking of amniotic fluid afterwards. You typically get preliminary results on downs and trisomies 24 hours later (if you opt for them). They are very accurate, but you will have to wait until the final panel of results two weeks later to be absolutely certain (final results contain the spina bifida/open neural tube defects results). If all is good 24 hours later (no bleeding/leaking), there typically won't be any problems associated with the procedure. of course, this is just my experience...other ladies have a few more issues with their amnio...but i hope it helps. good luck. relax.

Hello!

I had an amnio this afternoon. Our risk came back as 1:52, I am 35 and didn't have a NT scan. The above post is very detailed so I will jump straight to the bit I was worried about - the pain! I was waiting for a nasty jab that just never came. It was a bit stingy when it went in but only for a second or two. I could feel it as she withdrew fluid but the sonographer pressing on my tummy was causing more discomfort than the doctor wit the needle! Again, it being pulled out was stingy for a second or two but nothing to make me jump or flinch. I was told to take two days off work and do nothing.

Hope that helps. Good luck. Like you say the waiting is definitely the worst part.

xx

Thanks ladies!

Feebee, when do you expect to get your results? x

We were told either thursday or friday, so jumping every time the phone rings already!

How did you get on? xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"