anaemic...

laurajo24

Reaction score
dr just called to say that i'm anaemic.

thats not what bothers me. in fact i'm quite glad i finally have a reason for feeling this tired and proof that i'm not just making it up!
but i've taken iron tablets before and they really didn't agree with me. i'm gonna take these and see how i go but i'm dreading the constipation!

anyone got any other tips for raising my iron levels? OH joked about guiness!

:hug:

D'you know what your levels are? There's quite a bit of confusion and controversy over anaemia in pregnancy - whether it should be expected due to the dilution of cells as our blood volume has increased by 50%, and whether iron supplements will make much difference.

I'd suggest you have a bit of a google (can provide links if you're interested) and speak to your MW too :)

he said they're down to 10.5 from 13 in july.

will google it and have a look. if i can avoid taking the tablets then i will!

Hey hon, just wanted to say that when I had to take Iron a few years ago, I found eating a few prunes about an hour after taking the tablets helped loads with tummy and constipation.

10.5 isn't low, that's perfectly normal for your stage of pregnancy. Below 10 is considered to be "anaemic" and even that's very controversial

I am taking iron tablets, my level was 11.2 in July and is now 9.8. I am having my bloods taken again in a couple of weeks so I really hope it has increased as the tablets are horrible. I have found taking them with orange juice has helped me with both the sickness and constipation.

You could try taking your tablets with vitamin c rich food as it aids absorption and avoid taking them within an hour either side of eggs, tea, milk or wholegrain.

10.5 isn't low, that's perfectly normal for your stage of pregnancy. Below 10 is considered to be "anaemic" and even that's very controversial

No this isn't low, but due to the volume increase and dilution it is thought that this will decline further as it normally does. Therefore, guidelines are set in place to treat and boost the Haemoglobin if it reaches 10.5 and below. Yes, in reality a woman's blood is increased in volume therefore appears as though the iron level is low, but boosting the iron levels is still essential for women to be able to cope with the blood loss at delivery. Some women can cope with a 250ml -400mols average blood loss at delivery with a HB 10.5, but this blood loss makes it drop to 8.5-9.5 some can cope with this but others not. :thumbup:

red meat and spinach, plus bovil as a hot drink is fab (tastes minging - unless youre a marmite likeing person and then it takes yum)...also of course marmite.

xxxx

No this isn't low, but due to the volume increase and dilution it is thought that this will decline further as it normally does. Therefore, guidelines are set in place to treat and boost the Haemoglobin if it reaches 10.5 and below. Yes, in reality a woman's blood is increased in volume therefore appears as though the iron level is low, but boosting the iron levels is essential for women to be able to cope with the blood loss at delivery. Some women can cope with a 250ml -400mols average blood loss at delivery with a HB 10.5, but others not. :thumbup:

There's also a fair amount of controversy in the literature regarding a woman's ability to cope with PPH, with some consultants believing a lower Hb is actually better (relating, as you say, to a higher blood volume and therefore a better chance of withstanding PPH). MCV and PCV levels are as important as a single Hb figure, and serum ferritin levels should also be tested in an ideal world. :D

My Hb was only 11 at booking. It went down to 10.6 at 20 weeks even though I had been on Spartone once daily. Now it is down to 10.4 at 28 weeks.

I am currently taking liquid iron which I got prescribed at 16 weeks but then decided not to take as it made me poorly and went onto the Spartone instead. I am tolerating the liquid iron ok now, I have 5mls in a glass of orange before bed. It makes me feel sick so I have to make sure its just before bed so I can sleep through the nausea.

My Hb was only 11 at booking. It went down to 10.6 at 20 weeks even though I had been on Spartone once daily. Now it is down to 10.4 at 28 weeks.

I am currently taking liquid iron which I got prescribed at 16 weeks but then decided not to take as it made me poorly and went onto the Spartone instead. I am tolerating the liquid iron ok now, I have 5mls in a glass of orange before bed. It makes me feel sick so I have to make sure its just before bed so I can sleep through the nausea.

Iron tablets make me constipated, hate them. Liquid version much preferred but have had some women's iron levels not increasing with certain liquid versions so just be sure that the level of iron dose is decent. It is recommended at least 2 x 200mg tablets a day. I have seen some liquid versions containing only 30mg per 5mls dose! Thats nothing. :thumbup:

Iron tablets make me constipated, hate them. Liquid version much preferred but have had some women's iron levels not increasing with certain liquid versions so just be sure that the level of iron dose is decent. It is recommended at least 2 x 200mg tablets a day. I have seen some liquid versions containing only 30mg per 5mls dose! Thats nothing. :thumbup:

The one I'm taking is Ferrous Fumarate 140mg/5ml at 5mls per day.

Prior to this I was taking Spartone which is only 5mg iron per 20 ml sachet, but is meant to be easier to absorb and therefore increases iron levels (or so the advertising says)

Yes Ferrous Fumerate is one of the recommended versions in the (BNF) British National Formulary which is a Drug Bible for prescribers. It is available online. :)

Ive been anemic this whole pregnancy and with my last two. Sometimes women just have lower iron levels during pregnancy. My doctor just keeps an eye on my levels and if it gets too low she will take extra steps but 10 is actually an ok #! Mine is usually around 9-10. Different OBs approach iron levels in their own ways...I have always been fine though just try and take care of yourself and eat healthy!! Hope things get better for you hun!

Hi anything lower than 11 in pregnancy is classed anaemic. Take the iron tablets and see how u get on. You can always discuss alternative methods if the tablets dont agree with u.

It is advised regularly on boosting your iron with diet and obviously alot of women require treatment in addition. Many women cope with low iron different to the next, just like one woman can cope with 1000ml blood loss and another can become gravely ill. Of course, no one knows who will suffer from a significant blood loss at delivery either. Therefore, boosting iron level is important :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->