Anatomically correct dolls - harmful or harmless?

I don't know how I feel about barbie and ken having bits or pubic hair. I think they're both pretty gross and utterly unrealistic in so many ways that adding these things as they are would probably just look more grotesque! There are so many things to challenge about Barbie I wouldn't know where to begin, though maybe it would be with those permanently shortened tendons in the back of her legs from always wearing high heels... She's just a clothes horse isn't she? Like a shop dummy.

She is a dummy like Jordan (aka KP) but I still love the trashyness of her, I collected Barbies until recently. I will let LO play with them when shes old enough, I'm neither PC or a feminist, or a liberal -I think its just something from my childhood that I loved to pieces, it brings back lots of happy memories. I dont think old Babs affected my own self esteeem in anyway, she was totally out of proportion, I didnt aspire to look like her but she was my most beautiful doll imo. I would of hated it if she had no breasts, just flat chested and have you ever seen an overweight/chunky fashion doll? perhaps thats one for the future eh? Her clothes were pretty hideous and garish, but she could get away with anything bless her ;)

with regards to the pubic hair maybe all dolls haven't reached puberty yet so I guess its irrelevant so to speak :) I've never really questioned what age my dolls were lol apart from the baby dolls of course.

Totally didn't know there was a debate section! Awesome.

I'm personally quite private about my naked body and have never felt comfortable walking around naked at home(apart from with hubby), but I think to equate nudity with sex can be really damaging for a child. By 'hiding' our anatomy through sexless dolls, and perpetuating that nakedness is inherently sexual, it must come as a very confusing suprise to a child when they become aware of their own bodies.

I'd much rather dolls be anatomically correct as it is literally just a representation of the body, and that is nothing to hide from or be ashamed of. When you do hide it and become fearful that it is sexual is where problems start.

Sorry for bad grammar etc am feeding.

I know we used to have anatomically correct dolls at nursery when I was little (back in 1980 - Manchester has always been a very progressive council!) Not sure about my dolls at home - will have to have a look when I'm next at my parents - although the 2 I kept were called Betty & Judy - they don't sound like dolls who'd have anything to do with genitals!!

:rofl: twinkle! I ordered a doll for Byron at last, one of his Christmas presents. Quite excited about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->