And the doctor said....

Pinkgirl

Reaction score
Well i had a doctors appt today and while i was there i spoke to hear about the pill.
I asked question about coming off it before TTC and so on.
I asked how long after coming off the pill will it take for body the 'normalise' she said the pill is out your system in a matter of days and no reason why you wouldnt get pregnant straight away.

I was like ok then, just i though it might take time for cycles to get in 'motion' she said that if it does its your body doing that and not an affect of the pill.

Was quite suprised really. She did advise me 3 months or so as i do have PCOS. Not that i am telling OH this. I was exspecting her to say longer especially after talking to girls on here.

hiya, that would surprise me as well actually as almost everyone i've ever spoken to in person and on forums has said that it has taken a few months for periods to become regular again and sooo many end up waiting 3+ months for their first proper period after coming off the pill.

Although from personal experience I had a 5 month break from the pill a couple of years ago and my periods then came back like clockwork straight away... I just hope I'm lucky enough for that to happen when I start ttc.

I guess it's the same old.. everyone is different. Hopefully it will all come back really quickly when you want it to hun :hugs:

xxx

I hope you are lucky and that your periods come back straight away but just prepare yourself for it not to as well so you don't get upset:hugs:

It might take your body that long to adjust, but the pill is out of your system withing one cycle. It takes one period for it to come out, so when people say you need 6 months after coming off it to adjust and get it out of your system thats not true.
According to my GP you are actually more fertile when you first come off it, altho there is a higher risk of miscarriage due to your body maybe not adjusting right away.
Its just your hormone levels getting back to "normal" that takes so long! :) x

hey Hun!!

Thanks for letting us know about this! it is rather interesting that you're Dr should say that... I've got to go for a check up on Monday, so I shall also ask, and see if the response is any different...

Just on a separate note, is it normal to go 2 years on the pill without having a BP check etc? I've booked myself in because I haven't had one since I first started the pil.

xxxx

Hey! That's a useful bit of information, I thought it would take longer too.
Lou - I thought that your BP should be checked each time you get another prescription for BCP? So they can check everything is alright. At least my doctors normally do.

Hey hun, glad you spoke to your GP. I have heard that you can be at your most fertile as soon as you stop taking your pill and I know friends who have proven this to be correct!

I only know that when I came off my pills a while back for 6 months I went back to normal straight away and am hoping the same happens this time.

xxx

if could be instantanious...but I have a friend who didn't start ovulating until a little over a year later! I hope it is sooner for you though <3

The pill is out of your system in days, but your body has to get back to making its own hormones again and that can vary per person. When I came off the pill I went to a 28 day cycle right away, but there are many women who's cycles vary for a while after, some shorter, some longer.

The pill is out of your system in days, but your body has to get back to making its own hormones again and that can vary per person. When I came off the pill I went to a 28 day cycle right away, but there are many women who's cycles vary for a while after, some shorter, some longer.

was just going to say this :)

I am a bit of a pessimist when it comes to the pill. While I agree that the pill is out of your system relatively quickly and you could get pregnant right away, I find it hard to believe that the pill has absolutely no effect on your body and if it takes time to get back to a 'normal' cycle then it has nothing to do with the pill. I think different doctors will give you different opinions on the effects of the pill.
Speaking from my experience, I had completely regular cycles before going on the pill. I was on it for 10 years. I came off and have had a wirlwind of issues with my cycle. Hopefully they are sorting themselves out now - but personally, I am glad I went off BCP over a year before TTC because it gives me time to figure my body out again. My doctor (a few years ago) suggested coming off a year before TTC just to give you time to regulate and then things like temperature charting would be more reliable. Of course, he also said you can get pregnant anytime after stopping the pill so it's a matter of personal preference. If I had it to do over again - I would have stopped BCP way sooner. But that's just me. My mom got pregnant twice while taking the pill! (obviously she wasn't very good at taking it!)

Thankyou ladies, found your post really interesting.

I just thought i would put up thread about what my Dr said as its all new to me, so i am learning as i go along.
We are still keeping same TTC date (ages away!!!!) but i still am not too sure when is best to come off pill before hand x

I'm a firm believer of the sooner the better tbh. I wouldn't be on the pill now because i'm worried of all this but i can't due to OH. If you don't want to try straight away then use another bc method. Hope you don't have any problems. x

I agree, the pill is out of your system in less then 24 hours... Thats why if you miss a pill you are at risk of getting pg.

If you want to ttc go for it, you will likely get pregnant after your period as long as everything goes well.

The pill is out of your system but beacuse your hormones had been messed with for years it can take some time for them to kick in and get back to normal. Before i started on the pill i had a regular 30 day cycle. My first cycle was 22 days, my next one was 36 days and i am currently on day 22 of god knows how long cycle. So The doctors tell you the nice bits of the infomation but not the nasty bits or you would never go on it in the first place.

I was on the contraceptive injection for 5 years until October when I came off it and went back on pill.

I was told my periods would take a year to come back but they started straight away so I am slightly worried if I came off pill i could fall pregnant straight away (although hope that too!) so its more your body than what you put in it I think.

I was on the pill for 4 yrs then stopped it and got pregnant with my dd straight away, i had my withdrawal bleed when i finished the pack of pills then never had a period as i got pregnant, i went back on the pill after having my dd, was on it for 2 yrs then came off it and got pregnant again straight away but that one ended in miscarriage, but i got pregnant straight away again after that and had my ds. then i went on the depo and have recently come off it and waiting for that to come out of my system.

xx

Good luck love, it's great that you got such good news. I use condoms because the pill made me pile on weight and it was a "smooth one". So it's DH's job to keep bc, hehe.

I was on hormonal BC for 16 years continously & came off last summer. It took me 2 months for my first period to arrive after coming off.
I conceived in the 6th month (I think it was the first month I was truly fertile) but sadly something went wrong during the conception & I miscarried 12 weeks later.

I think it's a very individual thing & all depends on how much the synthetic hormones affect your cervix ovaries & womb lining.

I'm back to WTT, but I won't be going back on the pill while I have to prevent, I'll be using a barrier method instead :)

Good luck xx

I came off my BCP about 4 months ago as I thought it would help to get my cycle to regulate itself before TTC. My first af took a couple of months to appear but seem to be regulating now - which I'm happy about. I had been on different BCP for about 10 years, so think I needed to give my body a break!!!:happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->