• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Andrew - born at 29 weeks!

It's not linked to his prematurity as such - they are presuming that it's been caused by the intra-uterine (pre-birth) bleed in his brain. We were told that they wouldn't be able to say whether the bleed had affected anything until he was about 2 years old (and had developed normally), and any number of problems might arise in that time. So here we are.

Main thing is that the brainwave pattern could hinder his development; and the steroid treatment could also hinder his development. Kinda catch-22. We just have to monitor that, and encourage him as much as possible.

It's such a hard waiting game. I don't know if you've done the same, but we were told the same thing about Abby's brain cysts - we won't know more until she's a year old - and every little thing we've been "is it because of the cysts":dohh: She's not crawling or sitting well so we are waiting for her next review in a couple of weeks to see if it's an indicator of a problem or not.

I'm sure it wont help much, but I'm thinking of you and keeping everything crossed for a good outcome.:hugs:

oh huni :hugs: im so sorry to read that Andrew is having these seizures, he's in safe hands and the medication will quickly control it :hugs: xx

I was just thining Marley, is this possibly the reason for the bad afternoons you were having?

How is he doing now?

Yep :D It turns out that irritability is one of the symptoms of infantile spasms. Whats unfortunate is that irritability is also one of the side-effects of the medication, so things may not get better :D

We are home :happydance:

Andrew is on Prednisole steroids, together with Ranitidine to protect his tummy from the steroids. He seems to be responding well, in that he is now down to only one episode a day (first thing in the morning); that means that he's on the correct dosage, and he should be seizure-free within a week or two. He has a repeat EEG booked for 15 days after meds started, and this will show whether the hypsarrythmia in his brainwaves has lessened or stopped. If he shows improvement, then he'll be on the steroids (a lesser dose) for a couple of months.

Other side-effects are sleepiness (which might help lessen the irritability) and increased appetite, which is actually no bad thing given that we've had trouble increasing his food/milk intake enough to keep the Paed Consultant happy. Reading up (google is not your friend!) it would seem that he could also suffer development delay, though nobody at the hospital was really clear about this. I can kinda see how sleeping all day and night would hinder development, he doesn't stay awake for long to practice sitting up and rolling over! We need to make the most of his waking periods. One thing the consultants did say was that he'd be more prone to having other forms of epilepsy as he gets older.

Fingers crossed we've licked this problem! :happydance:

Good news that he is better.

Google is never our friend! (Although today has pacman - insert coin!!!!):happydance:

Fingers crossed it goes better from now.

50 hours with no episode - and he smiled again this morning, first time we've seen his smile for weeks. It fair reduced me to tears.

Back into A&E this morning ..................

Not the infantile spasms though. Andrew woke me at 5am with extremely bad d&v, full stripdown of the bed, bath-time etc. He took some milk at 7am, but brought it back up an hour later. We'd been told that the slightest small thing, he had to come back to hospital (because it could be/affect the steroids), so in we went.

As pulse, bp etc were normal, all they did was monitor him for a few hours. They reckoned he wouldn't be dehydrated yet, and so long as he wanted to feed, to keep giving him his prescription milk.

He had a feed at 11am which he kept down, so we were allowed to leave at 1pm to go and visit his daddy in the next hospital (he's recovering from an operation). Andrew fed again at 3pm, and then brought most of it back up when sat in his car seat on the way home - icky!

So he's had some dialoryte (sp?) and half a feed, and I've got him asleep on the sofa next to me so that I can keep an eye on him. So long as he keeps half feeds down (with his meds), they're happy.

Poor wee thing.

Poor little fellow. Is it a bug, or a side effect of the tablets?

I've followed for a while. Well I've kind of creeped round like a Ninja! And something just struck me! Are you a Fifer? Or have you always been from MAnc>

Hope the wee man is doing well#!

Abi - not Fife, Argyll for 13 years fore coming to Manc last Spring. Why??? Do I sound like someone you know?

Anyway

Andrew went back to A&E on Friday morning, as he still had v&d but also a high heartrate when the epilepsy nurse checked. He was admitted eventually and put on half-dose IV for 24 hours (he was still taking some milk).

Blood & urine tests done to check whether he had an infection and whether he was ingesting the meds okay still. All clear, and I've just brought him home after a 48hr stay.

Abi - not Fife, Argyll for 13 years fore coming to Manc last Spring. Why??? Do I sound like someone you know?

I'm from Fife and I just realised (after months of reading) you type like a Scot. So I thought I'd be nosey:blush:

I'm from Fife and I just realised (after months of reading) you type like a Scot. So I thought I'd be nosey:blush:
LOL - I type like a Scot? That's what living up there for thirteen years did for me! I've been down here a year, but my boy is still "wee" and I still have a "piecebox" :D

Andrew still has diawoowoo, but no sicky now. He's taking all his usual milk, plus some extra when he wakes in the night.

Hi, sorry to hear you are all having a hard time right now, I hope Andrew is on the mend very soon x

Blimey, haven't kept this terribly uptodate, have I :D

I was saying above that I took Andrew to A&E with severe diawoo, and they sent us home with dialoryte?

We were back in the next day, as the Epilepsy Nurse was scared about his high heartrate when she came to visit. So this time A&E admitted us, and Andrew spent 48 hours on the ward (including 24hrs on a drip). They did various tests, but concluded it was simply a gastric virus. He was discharged on the Sunday, the same day as his Daddy! His diawoo cleared up about 4 days later.

A week later (two weeks on the steroids), Andrew returned for an EEG which showed marked improvement to the hypsarrythmia that was causing his spasms. His last spasm was still the Friday morning at the end of his hospital stay, so he had been clear for almost two weeks by the EEG. Because he responded so well to the medication, the Neurologist agreed that he could be weaned off the steroids.

A few days later, Andrew returned to the hospital again (he's such a frequent visitor) for the first of the behavioural tests on his hearing. Alas he was grumpy from the steroids and teething by this point, so he was not playing ball at all. The test has been rescheduled for 4 weeks time.

We then went on holiday! One week in a caravan on the Costa del North Wales. During this time Andrew cut his first tooth and weaned off the steroids. The difference in his behaviour was amazing - he was rolling around all over the place, laughing and smiling, playing independently. And the biggest difference was that he started babbling properly, making consonant noises. We were sooooooooooooo happy :D

To bring this totally uptodate ... He has now cut a second tooth (the first upper tooth). He's had a final EEG which showed even further improvement, and has been signed off by the Neuro team, they hope that he won't return (unfortunately it's a possibility). He's booked in for an ECG because of the high heartrate picked up during all his illnesses.

He has said goodbye to the Neuro team and the Epilepsy Nurse, but has said hello to three new people interested in his development: Pre-School Special Needs, who are monitoring his development through play; a Peripatetic Teacher for the Deaf, who will work with him all the way through pre-school and school; and a Dietician, as he is still only maintaining his growth curve and not climbing up the percentiles.

Phew!

It's his birthday in just over 6 weeks, and we're not sure what to get as he is only now playing with toys that we got at Christmas (he's 8m actual, but about 6m development). OH is getting a rainforest soother for his cot, and I'm toying with the idea of a toddler swing for the garden, as he loves to swing and he loves the outdoors. Any other ideas?

Time for a new photo, I think!

https://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn274/Tigsteroonie/28275_1547470769399_1313941020_1471.jpg

Hes gorgeous, im so glad hes been signed off by the neuro team thats great news x

He's growing into such a handsome wee man! And seems to be getting on so well too. You must be relieved to get to something approaching "normal"

Do you have a jumperoo? If not, that might make a great pressie. Abby also loves her books so we tend to go for those. The only other toy she likes is a drum that came from Tesco. It is brilliant!

But we were the same with the brithday, no idea what to do so we got her some vests and sleepsuits as she was growing out of the ones she had. To be honest, I could have wrapped up rocks and she would have had a whale of a time, she just loves ripping paper!

I know what you mean about the paper - Andrew's favourite toy just now is a foil emergency blanket, it's shiny and makes a great noise!

Just a wee bump .....

Apparently the documentary has been renamed "Cherry Has a Baby" and will be shown on BBC3 in early September. I'll bump again when I get confirmation of the exact date, plus there may be some advance publicity that we get featured in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->