Angry potty training/family

I'd be upset about the yelling but I do agree about sitting on the couch naked. Didn't read the whole thread. I'd wait til she's trained to go over if he is not comfy with it.

Whilst I'm quite happy to let the girls run naked at home, I would not be comfortable with have other people's kids run naked or bottomless at my house. Nor would I imagine letting my kids naked or bottomless at someone else's home. Not just for hygienic reasons but because not every one is comfortable with nakedness - I can imagine my dad's reaction if DDs ran naked at his house... I don't think he would say anything but I think he would feel ill at ease and would probably find an excuse to leave the house.

Your dad probably doesn't think he did anything wrong as (1) it's his house and (2) he educated his kids that way.

If I went to someone's house while potty training, I would put DD in her nappies /pull ups and take her to the toilet very often and give her a treat if she kept the nappy dry.

I guess I am a lot more liberal than a lot of people on this thread. My child frequently runs around naked at my mom's place. My mom even bought a potty chair for her to use over there. Granted, my parents are divorced so she doesn't have anyone she has to discuss it with....however, if your mom seemed okay with it, I could totally understand why you would think it was okay! Sorry that happened. I would be really upset if anyone yelled at my child while I was trying to work on something like potty training!

I'm putting myself in the shoes of my future self....if my husband and I are blessed to have grandchildren one day, I know that neither one of us would be disturbed by the kiddos being naked if we could help with potty training in that way. I could understand a friend or a stranger not wanting a kid on their couch naked, but family? It wouldn't matter to me.

I do agree with some of the other posters that maybe your father just has an issue with the nudity? Or could it be both? Either way, I hope you can sort it out. Sorry you feel like you have to stay away until she is potty trained.

I don't think this really is about naked or not naked, hygienic or unhygienic. Its about how your dad will react to your child doing something "wrong", whatever it is. It sounds like he was uncomfortable communicating that he didn't want a naked toddler sitting on his furniture, perhaps because your mum and you were automatically so OK with it. He held this discomfort in, which upped his stress level. This led to him snapping and shouting at your child. You need to discuss three things with your dad:
1. How if he is concerned or uncomfortable he needs to talk to you rather than your child, and you need to promise him that you will hear him and take his feelings on board
2. Describe the methods you use to communicate with your child when you need to discipline her/dissuade her from doing things
3. Explain that you don't expect him to be perfect - that you know from experience that parenting (and grandparenting) is full of mistakes. Explain that you as an adult can understand why he snapped but your daughter can't, so she will blame herself, and he needs to apologise to her.

Haven’t read all of the posts. That’s a shame that your dad shouted at her. I’d just wait until she’s trained to go there. I do see his side though. I wouldn’t want any butts on my couch, even a lo’s. It’s hard when someone hurts your lo’s feelings:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->