Another tale of spotting

jessi2643

Reaction score
After ttc for a year, we finally got that elusive bpf. We have been successful once before and that pregnancy ended in a miscarraige at week 7 (twins). I am currently week 5, day 5. Starting at the beginning of week 5, I noticed some brown spotting; very little and just when wiping. It increased slightly over the next couple days, to the point that I need a liner but just barely. There were 3 occasions so far in which I had a flow of very dark brown blood for maybe a half hour, still not enough to fill a liner but enough to make me fear that miscarraige is impending. The latest was this morning. My hcg numbers were doubling from week 4 until early week 5 as they should. I asked for another hcg on week 5 day 3 because of the spotting, and they had only rose 60%. I have a u/s monday morning and expecexpect the worst. Anybody out there with an optimistic story? If nothing else I'll update this later and let you know how it turns out. Hoping it works out...

i think everyone spots at week 5! ive never heard of someone not around here. as for myself, i spotted twice in week 5 on different days. it was tan, not brown or pink or red. one time it was caused by my uterus growing (im thinking that because it was random spotting) and the other time the spotting was all day long and caused by sexual activity. neither times did i cramp with my spotting but i had cramping same day. i actually had cramping on a daily basis and it was one-sided pain which worried me. the spotting was with my cm and i always wear a pantiliner whether im spotting or not. its just a hygiene habit even before pregnancy. well, when i spotted, it was big tan colored spots/splotches on the pad. im glad i had the pad on or it would have messed my underwear up. haha. most of the time though i wouldnt have known i was spotting unless i wiped and saw it first but now i look at my pantiliner prior to wiping because im slightly paranoid. but yea i think for that one time it was because my uterus was stretching and the rich lining got knocked aloose. its just my theory and it helped ease my mind although i did cry and prayed to God when it happened because its my first pregnancy and i didnt know what was happening!

anyway, baby turned out fine and the heartbeat is 174 (my first ultrasound at 8wks + 6 days)

I spotted with my first pregnancy around 6 weeks and it ended in a loss. I had the exact same spotting with my second around the same time and it lasted a week! He is now 17 months old! I know with my first my hcg dropped and was very, very low at 6 weeks. With the second, they were happy with my numbers but didn't do a repeat.

I hope it all works out for you!! Monday isn't too far away :hugs:

Hope everything turns out ok for you hun, it must be a real worry 😞 I have to say I have never had any spotting in any of my pregnancies but I know there are plenty that have had and have gone on to have perfectly healthy babies. Good luck x

I spotted pretty much everyday from 5w6days to 8weeks... Had two internal scans during that time, they found nothing wrong and spotting eventually stopped. The spotting was always light pink/ deep brown (they thought it was dried/ old blood) so I wouldn't worry if it's that colour - so many changes are happening in your body and at 5 weeks, spotting is more common than we think. I wouldn't worry unless you also start cramping or your spotting turns bright red and heavy! x

Thanks everyone! It definitely does help to see that I'm not alone in this thing :) Anyway, I have an update. Yesterday afternoon I had more bleeding, this time closer to red, although I wouldn't call it bright red. It was heavy enough to almost fill a liner in an hour. It was accompanied by mild cramps. Following my obgyn's orders I went to the ER. There they took my hcg (up to 4000 from 3030 the day before.) They also did an internal ultrasound. The results of the ultrasound were inconclusive, and it was evidently confusing because the tech called in the senior resident to have a look too. They found something, but couldn't say for sure what it was. Maybe a gestational sack? It certainly didn't have a yolk sack or look like they expected it to (I was 5 wks, 5 days). The tech told me only 5 % of people he saw yielded such unclear results (awesome haha). So I go back to my er room, and the doc decides to have ob-gyn have a look at the u/s pics. Well, ob did not like the quality of the pics so an ob team showed up to my room with their own ultrasound cart and redid the whole thing. They had the same ambiguous findings... maybe a baby, maybe a miscarraige, somehow they saw a different blob so maybe even twins (or possibly a clot). No good reason for the bleeding, except that I have a slight bicornate uterus and my anatomy may play a role there. Almost 6 hours later I got released with instructions to keep my 1100 appt monday (tomorrow). So I don't know what to think. I'm running out of excited/disappointed feeling it's just too exhausting. I'll update after tomorrow. Baby dust all around!

Thanks everyone! It definitely does help to see that I'm not alone in this thing :) Anyway, I have an update. Yesterday afternoon I had more bleeding, this time closer to red, although I wouldn't call it bright red. It was heavy enough to almost fill a liner in an hour. It was accompanied by mild cramps. Following my obgyn's orders I went to the ER. There they took my hcg (up to 4000 from 3030 the day before.) They also did an internal ultrasound. The results of the ultrasound were inconclusive, and it was evidently confusing because the tech called in the senior resident to have a look too. They found something, but couldn't say for sure what it was. Maybe a gestational sack? It certainly didn't have a yolk sack or look like they expected it to (I was 5 wks, 5 days). The tech told me only 5 % of people he saw yielded such unclear results (awesome haha). So I go back to my er room, and the doc decides to have ob-gyn have a look at the u/s pics. Well, ob did not like the quality of the pics so an ob team showed up to my room with their own ultrasound cart and redid the whole thing. They had the same ambiguous findings... maybe a baby, maybe a miscarraige, somehow they saw a different blob so maybe even twins (or possibly a clot). No good reason for the bleeding, except that I have a slight bicornate uterus and my anatomy may play a role there. Almost 6 hours later I got released with instructions to keep my 1100 appt monday (tomorrow). So I don't know what to think. I'm running out of excited/disappointed feeling it's just too exhausting. I'll update after tomorrow. Baby dust all around!

My goodness. How confusing! But it seems they aren't 100% sure what us going on either way so there is still hope. I'll keep you in my thoughts and pray it works out for the positive. Please do keep us updated!

:dust:

Wow - confusing! Hope the bleeding stop, you have a good appointment tomorrow, and everything ends well!!

Thanks everyone for the support! I went to my appt this am, and they did another internal u/s. The questionable blob is definitely a gestational sack with a yolk sack! Its not as big as it should be according to lmp, but the doctor said to be "cautiously optimistic". Since I have a bicornate uterus, he reminded me that risks of miscarraige is very high, and I left feeling a bit like a ticking miscarraige time bomb 😐. Oh well, nothing to do but wait. I'm still spotting a little bit but nothing like a few days ago. I've got a follow up u/s in a week, I'll keep you posted!

Thanks for the update! Glad you get to be optimistic and the us was a bit more conclusive!!

I've only ever had spotting after sex early on but my mom had dark brown/red bleeding through out early pregnancy which they initially told her was a miscarriage. She went in at 12 weeks and here I was with a nice strong heartbeat! Fingers crossed for a sticky rainbow baby!

Thanks for the update. The Doctor sounds optomistic so hopefully all will work out! :hugs:

Its always possible for dates to be off by a few, so I say you're still in the running! I didn't personally have bleeding/spotting but I know that MANY women do! My sister had brown spotting almost all of her first tri. Good luck and stay positive!

Hi all, wow it's been a rough weekend. After feeling good Monday through Friday, even feeling like the spotting was going to stop, I had pretty major bleeding all weekend. It started Saturday afternoon, while my husband and I were at REI. I had no indication it was coming. I went to the bathroom and was bleeding bright red. I went to sit in the truck while he checked out and within five minutes I was really sick; nauseous and cramping and generally bad. I had to sit outside in the rain to cool off to keep from puking. Within a half hour the sick feeling passed, but the bleeding has continued until now (monday morning). It hasn't had clots (that I saw) but I would describe it as 2 days as the heaviest part of my period, day and night. I opted out of an er visit... just couldn't talk myself into sitting around 6 hours for bad or ambivalent news. Especially since they already ruled out ectopic and wasn't in pain. I have a appt at my obgyn's in 20 minutes, and am super anxious and nervous. So crappy. Anyway, I'll update later. Wish me luck...

Hope all goes well. I had some bleeding, although not heavy, that started at at 5 weeks. I had an internal scan at 5 weeks 5 days but they couldn't even see the baby, just the area of bleeding which was outside of the sac. I wasn't too hopeful but my son has just turned 1 so all turned out fine.

When I spoke to my midwife about the bleeding, she said that she saw a woman who bled so much, more than she'd ever come across (and she was a very experienced midwife) and she said she was absolutely amazed that she didn't miscarry but she didn't! So just goes to show. My friend also had a huge gush of blood at 10 weeks and her baby was fine. Hope it's the same for you x

Thanks everyone, it's nice to here from you all. I went for the ultrasound, and they couldn't find anything good. At 7 wks we expect to see specific things, and they saw a lot of jumbled up static in there. Lots of serious and uncertain looking around, and nothing new to be found. I didn't quite understand what specifically we were looking at, but It looks like this will be a miscarriage. Although I'm starting to think that they have an office policy against saying that word. They had me draw blood for hcg levels again, and I'm awaiting whatever news may come of that. I kind of hope they have already gone down if this is the way it's going so I don't have to go for another draw in 2 days.

I'm so sorry that you are going through this. I have been there and I totally understand that now you just want it over with now that you know what is going on. I had to go for blood test three times after I knew myself that I had a miscarriage, but the doctor would not say that word. Pretty frustrating.

Praying for you...

Oh hun I'm so sorry. I know this isn't going to be much consoliation as it wasn't for me when people said it to me, but the good news is you can get pregnant. It took me 4 years to get a positive that ended up being ectopic and them taking my tube. After all was said and done I talked to my Dr and told her I didn't want it to take another 4 years and she prescribed me clomid and got a sticky bfp (so far xxx). I'd suggest talking to your Dr and see if you can't get started on something like that. Again, I'm so sorry and I feel for you. I know how heartbreaking it can be. With my last ectopic I went into a state of obsessiveness about finishing things I had started for baby. A blanket, a scrapbook, etc. I eventually got over it but it lasted a couple months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->