Another thread about finger foods ... HEEEEEELP!

charlie07

Reaction score
Well, I am struggling and as Gabbi is 9 months now, she should have more finger foods. BUT I don't know what to give her!

See, here in Bulgaria, some of the foods people mention are not available, plus cheddar cheese is not available and so I struggle with that. Too much salt, not even sure if it's pasteurized (as OH doesn't know what that word means!) so only give a small amount melted in her food, which I also might add is crap as it is very stringy!

Fruits and veggies are seasonal, got some carrots to make some sticks but they were not sweet at all so stuck them all in her food with other things so didn't taste so bad. I make toast with a little butter on (found salt free YEAH!!), but she tends to play with it, she does put it in her mouth but tends to disintegrate rather than her eating it! And forget tofu, not found it yet!

I have read on here how a lot of mothers give their babies finger foods only for dinner but I can't do that yet with Gabbi as she doesn't eat them! So she is on 3 - 4 cubes of mashed food and fruit and yogurt, but I really want to get her finger feeding.

I have checked out website for ideas but they seem to be all the same. ssssssooooooo I wanted to ask you experts, as I find better info on this forum than so called professionals :) What suggestions do you have for finger foods for Gabbi?

Thanks girls :) x

........ these are a few i use..... rice cakes (salt free) with spread e.g homemade houmous or pate... fruit sticks e.g banana, mango, avocado.... i recently made homemade fish fingers which is just cod fillet strips then put in milk and then coat in cornflake crumbs... toast and sandwich fingers are a favourite... i give finger foods with every meal so i know she's eating properly but also discovering new things... i would just start with fingers of fruit and veg that she already likes.... x

Hey weve only ever given our little girl Florence finger foods, the easiest to start of with are things like ricecakes, steamed our boiled, even roasted flo LOVES roasted sweetpotatoes and carrots !
Erm mangoes, any fruit or veg you can gety your hands on really.

However i will say Flo is 8 months old and theres nothing she does eat, roast potatioes chicken, steak, peas etc and shes never had a problem with any of it. It takes them a little while to get used to feeding themselves and learning that it is actually food there playing with but the more you offer them it the more they eat :)

We started by giving her food while we ate so she could watch us eat it and that seemed to work pretty well.

Can't get rice cakes :(

Found some baby biscuits but don't give that often. Fruits like Mango, apricot, plums, they are so expensive here but when the markets start picking their own, the price should be cheaper.

I have nothing in at the moment and can't get to the shops till tomorrow. Fruit just tends to go off so quickly and this is why I steam and get it mashed and frozen so we don't lose any! can only get sweet potato in the city and we don't go that much at all, so that's out.

The bread here is not fantastic, well it is one day but the next it's dry and fow. I am going to see what cheeses spread they have. There is more choice in the large supermarkets in the city but as I said, very rarely go and money is short so we shop local, saving on fuel.

She does like cucumber but there's not much nutritional value is there?

Thanks for the help girls, I'm jotting it all down for easy reference :) x

well we have;

Toast, sandwiches (normally a piece of bread with a cheese spread/ paste on), pitta bread (she really likes it with humous on), grapes, sliced cherries, bananas and cucumber if they're any help?

Breadsticks, pitta with hummus, lightly steamed veg of any description in batons, fruit in batons or pieces easy to handle - strawberries in halves. Anything you would eat really. :)

I am struggling with this too... Mainly because any fruit I give to her now is bitten off and the pieces she bites off are usually too big and she is at risk for choking...

I got a "le nibbler" thing for fruit... pears are ok if they are soft enough as a normal finger food... and cooked veggies are ok too... its just fruit were struggling with.

cooked veggies, if you can buy the frozen ones just steam or boil them and they make good finger foods, any kind of fresh fruit (really whatever you can get your hands on) if it's not soften enough steam it for a few minutes to soften it up and it should be fine, pasta of any kind with some sauce on it, chicken, fish, tuna sandwiches (I just used the canned tuna, mayo and peas spread on bread), red, green, orange peppers, baked so the skin comes off and cut into strips, pumpkin/butternut squashed baked

Helena has Cheerios (do you have those there? its a type of cereal), toast strips (with cream cheese, avocado, mashed banana), steamed carrots, cucumber, melon, popsicles made with fruit puree, cubes of cheese, pasta (bowties cut in 2 pieces)

Thank you to you all.

No we can not get cheerios. Cornflakes, fitness, horrible chocolate crap. In the bigger supermarkets you can get some but so expensive. Business is really slow so we are having to watch our pennies big time. I just can't wait for the local fruit to come on the market instead of imported ones, the price is a big difference.

I need to stock up on veggies, frozen ones, fresh doesn't keep that long at all. We don't have the best choice. Can't get pitta or hummus. Believe me, there is a lot of choice, BUT I don't know what half the stuff is!! lol

I'm the same as you Ryder, Gabbi bites off huge bits and it scares the life out of me!

Cheeses cubes, how big a cube?? Not sure if I can give her cheese as not sure of the salt content. I can read Bulgarian, so will try to figure it out.

You know, I am finding it hard at the moment, being away from friends and family (I also have a new niece who is 1 month old, god knows when I will get to see her), so much choice in the UK for babies, I miss the easy life sometimes, BUT, I do not want to live in the UK, so I may moan but I wouldn't swap countries!

Thank you so much girls xxx

Hannah has cheese daily. I buy the cheese string because it's easier for me to cut and cut in half down the middle and than cut it into little cubes from that (hopefully this makes sense :lol:)

Hannah has cheddar, mozarella, and marble cheese

I make little sandwiches for my 10 months old. I roll the sandwich with a rolling pin to make it flat and then cut into strips.
She likes - cream cheese and sugar free fruit spread.
- tuna and advocado

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->