Another view on 'sleep training'

marley2580

Reaction score
https://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/14/night-lights-blankets-and-lullabies/ :thumbup:

That is a great artical!

Somewhere I have a book by Winnicott called Playing and Reality that I'm sure talks about things like that... when I read it in college, I dismissed it because I was somebody who thought babies should be taught to go to sleep alone etc. How that changed when I had Leyla! Think I might revisit the book and see if it makes more sense now - it talks about being a 'good enough mother' (somebody who attends to their child's needs, not necessarily the actual mother) which is more what I think now.

Ohh cheers, it's really interesting!

There was one posted on NM forum along the same lines but a bit more....shocking for loss of a better word. The author goes more in dept into how modern sleep training can damage children for life, but it's a good read.

Edit - It has a quote from Sigmund Freud, that man was loooopy! He suggested childrenn fancy their opposite sex parent and that the other parent is jealous of that child? :\

Yeas that's the oedipus complex that man was truly loopy, I always found phycho analysis interesting but a lot of nonsense

But the link above is an interesting read x

Good read I wish my boy would let me cuddle him to sleep, from been little he goes in his cot awake and is asleep before I turn out the light

Yeas that's the oedipus complex that man was truly loopy, I always found phycho analysis interesting but a lot of nonsense

But the link above is an interesting read x

He was very crazy, we started studying him at college, got to that bit and I was like No sorry, this man is insane, surely his colleauges should of been examining him not listening to him spouting poo??

:thumbup: Good article. Yeah Freud was loopy, but psychologists love him! We studied the psychosexual stages of development in psycoholgy - it's mad! :lol:

I feel sleep training techniques really prey on new parents' insecurities. I actually purchased the sleepsense programme (for £25...) and what I found within was basically a glorified controlled crying method. Dana starts by saying she would not for one second advise leaving your child to cry if you didn't want to, even for a minute but a few pages later says that, actually, she's sorry to tell us... there is no other way, no magical solution, but to let baby cry.

I was quite angry even though I knew before I bought it that it wouldn't be for us. I just started to worry myself that Molly wasn't sleeping enough and at the right times (she took to going to bed at 6am and sleeping through until 4pm :/) and didn't know what to do so, after hearing good things about it, but nothing in detail, I thought it'd be worth a look.

Anyway, Molly is getting far better, all by herself, and I haven't done any sort of CC at all. So, apologies to those that follow the programme and are getting a lot out of it, but I really thought it was a huge waste of money and am currently hoping she honours her no questions asked moneyback guarantee as I feel guilty even giving her the money for it.

that makes me feel so much better - I keep think I should be finding some sort of sleeping or feeding or daytime routine and yet it won't happen - we are still both a happy mummy and baby though! I think the pressure around us when asked 'is your baby sleeping through yet?' or 'are you in a routine' is horrid. Our routine is we get up and see where the day takes us, when we are tried we sleep, when hungry we eat -and there are some smiles in the time in between.

I personally love my nightime cuddles with my LO and will never let her cry on her own!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->