Anti-sickness pills, are they safe? Do they work?

VictoriaElaur

Natural Mumma Of 1
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this has been asked before,

In my previous pregnancies I have been house bound with sickness for about a month. I'm still sick after that but it definitely settles down.

The problem is that I just afford to put my life on hold this time. I'm a Psychotherapist so I'm worried about leaving my vulnerable clients with no therapist, I'm also full time student (my uni is a 45min drive), I have a 3 year old daughter and I do all the admin for my husband's company.

Sickness is going to screw me!

Anywhoooo..... Anti-sickness pills, are they safe? Do they work?
My friend told me that her ones just stop her being sick but not feeling sick, another friend told me the side affects are worse than the sickness.

What's your experience?

Personally - They've always made me feel terrible! I'd rather just be sick and have a moment of relief. The only thing that ever helps me is having a packet of dry biscuits or something near me, so that I can eat little but often. I don't do big meals, I do NOT skip breakfast. (I never eat breakfast when Im not pregnant - but have to when I am)

Regarding being safe, I don't think a doctor would prescribe them otherwise? x

Thank you for replying,

If you don't mind me asking; in what way did they make you feel terrible?

I still felt really sick - I just couldn't bring anything up (often, I did at times). It would mean I couldn't focus, didn't want to eat. Eurrgh, they were awful! haha. People do have different reactions though - Other half had to have anti-sickness meds (through a needle) as he's diabetic and couldn't stop throwing up (dangerous sugar level wise), and they made him feel great!

theres an effective one called zofran/ondanestron but its not proven safe for pregnancy and very small studies have found links to birth defects(according to a doctor i went to a regular hospital) but its not guaranteed for every woman who takes it during pregnancy. its normally only given if you have an extreme case of vomiting, pregnant or not. the side effects arent worse than the nausea. my midwife told me she definitely does not recommend anything that isnt natural and proven safe for pregnancy because if its not natural (like ginger drops, preggie pops, or seabands), then she cant guarantee me that the baby will be ok. she said she tries her best to not ever prescribe anti-nausea meds for that reason. but when i went to the doctor at a regular hospital just for one zofran tablet, he told me he cant be held accountable for the birth defects that could occur from me taking it. i only took one so i could get sleep that night. my morning sickness is manageable and i can eat normally, except for that one night.

seabands work great for me and are drug free.

I took Diclectin throghout my entire 1st pregnancy with no issues at all. They helped take the edge off of my MS so I could at least go to work.

I am on them again with this pregnancy and they have helped me for sure, but they have not completely eliminated the MS.

They also make you very tired, which is good for night, but bad for morning.

Zofran isn't safe, it is know to cause heart malformations as well as cleft palates. the fda warns against it's use during pregnancy .

I take zofron but I do have extreem sickness to the point where I had to have a tube to feed me as as I were getting no nutrients. I was also put on steroids to help stop it. I had this with all my pregnancies this is my third and I'm the same.

Both my children were born very healthy with no health complications at all. For me there is no way I would survive a pregnancy without these medications.

Thank you everyone for replying.
I'm in the UK so I think the pills we are offered differ slightly.

Zofran sounds scary! If it was a choice between bed bound for a month and any tiny risk to my baby..... well it wouldn't be a choice.
I went to see my doc a few months ago and I told her we were TTC and my concerns regarding MS and she said there are AS meds that are perfectly safe for me, I think the main pills they offer here are anti-histamine based.

I'm just so concerned that I'll be swapping one problem for another that is just as bad.

I've been super sick every day since week 5 but after learning about zofrans risks and seeing how much those defects have risen in the last 5 years I knew I would rather be sick then putting baby at risk. I've lost at least 10 lbs but I'm able to keep liquids down fine for the most part so I'm staying hydrated and baby is measuring ahead so all is well. I do believe my sickness is easing now though (finally) so that's good!

Me too VictoriaElaur , it feels good to finally be able to leave the house a bit without needing to pullover the car to puke lol

I'm in the uk and have been prescribed cyclizine (3 a day) and 1 thiamine tablet....honestly these pills are my best friend, they took around a week to kick in. after being hospitalised, not being able to eat & drink, look after my 14month old or go to work due to HG I'm finally back to feeling 'normalish' if I start getting slightly hungry then nausea hits so I've been snacking every 2hrs and for 2 nights running now we have been able to eat as a family!! I will continue to take them for aslong as needed, the doc didn't mention it wasn't safe and I Spose they have a duty of care and would have to make u aware of any possible birth defects.

Been on 3 different types of anti nausea meds. Zofran-the kind that disolves on your tongue- did absolutely nothing for me. Diclegis has worked the best for me. It can make you sleepy but works so well. At first it kept all nausea and sickness away, but as my ms progressed they stopped working so well. Dr prescribed me a third type. Not sure of the name but you gotta stick it up your butt. Did nothing for me either. So diclegis at least makes living bearable. Instead of vomiting all day its usually only 2-4 times. I'll take that over what it was.

I'm in the uk and have been prescribed cyclizine (3 a day) and 1 thiamine tablet....honestly these pills are my best friend, they took around a week to kick in. after being hospitalised, not being able to eat & drink, look after my 14month old or go to work due to HG I'm finally back to feeling 'normalish' if I start getting slightly hungry then nausea hits so I've been snacking every 2hrs and for 2 nights running now we have been able to eat as a family!! I will continue to take them for aslong as needed, the doc didn't mention it wasn't safe and I Spose they have a duty of care and would have to make u aware of any possible birth defects.

That's good to hear, I think Cyclizine is the one my doc mentioned. Do you still feel nauseous?

That's good to hear, I think Cyclizine is the one my doc mentioned. Do you still feel nauseous?[/QUOTE]

I only get nauseous if I forget to snack or I don't drink much fluid.

The first week of taking cyclizine I felt really nauseous & extremely tired, and was still vomiting here and there. my mum had HG with her second pregnancy also, so she suggested eating a banana before I get out of bed then take the cyclizine, chill for 10-15mins then get up & this has been working a treat! After getting out of bed ill snack on 2/3 tuc crackers then eat a proper breakfast (toast/crumpet/cereal) about 1-1.5hrs later, this sets seems to be working for me at the mo. Today is my first day alone with LO in about a month & so far so good (even managed to change a dirty nappy without being sick :happydance: )

My GP told me taking cyclizine on an empty stomach & not eating will make you feel worse (I went back to the GP to see if I could change meds as 'they wasn't working' and it was because I was taking the meds on an empty stomach & not eating as I was continuing to be sick)

I have not vomited in 4 days now & really looking forward to my steak for dinner tonight lol.

Hope you start to feel better soon hun xx

This is my third baby, if you have HG you need meds to function. Me being repeatly in hosp, and possible kidney damage is far worse than taking a pill. With my previous babies i only had mild-mod MS which was hard at times but nothing compared to HG i have now.
I have been on cyclizine since week 8. I did hope to come off but my body has had other ideas. It took few weeks for them to kick in but still battled with feeling sick most days but just feeling vs throwing up 20 x a day is more managable. I hope you feel better soon.

I'm in the UK. I've suffered with hg in both pregnancies. First time cyclizine helped. This time I'm taking cyclizine and metoclopramide as cyclizine alone wasn't working. I feel a lot better now x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->