anxiety over affording christmas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hazzabeanie

mum of 2
Reaction score
does anyone get really anxious over money for Christmas presents etc? oh god I can feel myself panicking all the time at not being able to buy the things I want booo :(

Awww honey, please don't feel pressurised, buy what you can afford it is not about have the biggest pile or most expensive thing. :hugs:

Have you looked through the making money thread to see if there is anything to help you, that is how we all get those extras xxx

I agree, look at the money saving and making extra money threads. And don't let anyone make you feel pressured. Its about the day and the memories you make.
I don't usually have any stresses over the money as I save all year. This year everything seemed to go wrong over the summer. The car needed repairing, I had to replace the washing machine, the fridge/freezer and the vacuum cleaner! Huge chunk out of my budget. I am sad I've had to shorten my lists.

Don't be stressed! There are very few people that can actually buy everything they want to. Children don't need a lot of stuff but they do need you to be able to relax and enjoy christmas :hugs:

I think thats natural hun. Most of us feel pretty anxious when we either think how much we have spent or want to spend! I do agree the money saving thread is great, I've bought most of my kids toys using surveys and selling on ebay this year to see if I could actually do it cost free.

That aside, Christmas isn't about how many presents you can give/get, for me its about family and being thankful and spending time those I love. The stresses aren't worth the stress :flower:

Please don't stress - stick to an affordable budget, and focus on the memories you are creating. when I think back to my own childhood, I remember very little about the presents I recieved or the money that was spent. I remember the excitement and anticipation, opening the advent calendar every day, going to see the lights switched on, decorating the tree together as a family, spending the day together, eating christmas dinner, pulling crackers and wearing the hats, too much chocolate.

I do also manage to stretch my budget a bit, though, by starting early and looking out for bargains - if I know I want a particular thing I track it on camel camel camel (amazon price tracker) and buy it when the price is right (just got a good deal on some playmobil bits that way). I also save all of my tesco / nectar / boots points and use them to buy presents, usually can buy for my extended family without spending any actual money. Make the most of 3 for 2 offers. I pretty much never buy anything full price for Christmas. Just needs a bit of planning and patience.

thank you ladies, I suffer with anxiety anyway and I know my children would be happy if they got 1 or 20 presents so I know I need to relax I just have there birthdays dec and jan aswell plus day to day expenses I just worry I wont be able to make it special I will defo check out the thread though and thank you for replying its so nice when you get support xxxx

Please don't stress - stick to an affordable budget, and focus on the memories you are creating. when I think back to my own childhood, I remember very little about the presents I recieved or the money that was spent. I remember the excitement and anticipation, opening the advent calendar every day, going to see the lights switched on, decorating the tree together as a family, spending the day together, eating christmas dinner, pulling crackers and wearing the hats, too much chocolate.

I do also manage to stretch my budget a bit, though, by starting early and looking out for bargains - if I know I want a particular thing I track it on camel camel camel (amazon price tracker) and buy it when the price is right (just got a good deal on some playmobil bits that way). I also save all of my tesco / nectar / boots points and use them to buy presents, usually can buy for my extended family without spending any actual money. Make the most of 3 for 2 offers. I pretty much never buy anything full price for Christmas. Just needs a bit of planning and patience.

I'm the exact same as you shambaby when I think back to my childhood memories of Xmas I actually don't remember opening presents!! but what I do remember was everything we done leading up to Xmas and the anticipation and excitement of it all and that's what I'm focusing on building those same memories for my kids!! toys come and go get broken etc memories are for ever so please don't stress :) x

I used to panic in the past especially as I would panic shop and then spend too much. It's a bit late now, but for next year, have you thought about about an account to set aside a little money each month? I did it last year, I opened it in November and have put £50 a month in, by this December I will have £700 it won't cover everything as we have birthdays in December too but it takes a lot of the pressure off and stops me stressing, more importantly it gives me a budget to stick to.

I suffer with anxiety too hun and believe me, regardless of money available, the stress is still there lol I'm planning on making more memories than anything <3

Please don't worry, buy what you can afford. The day will be magical anyway without over spending x

In the interest of making it magical, and lots of lasting memories. If your kids are old enough get them some of the simple cheap wilkos/asda versions of games. connect 4, twister, guess who. that sort of thing. blast the christmas tunes and sit playing them. get a small selection of toys you know they will love rather than a lot more that they'll only like. tell everyone else that this year your only buying for the kids or find something you can make cheaply like holiday cookies. Honestly as long as you are cheerful on christmas day and you all laugh and have fun together thats all they will remember. and art stuff for birthdays, you can pick that up quite cheaply too. and pre-owned dvds. they don't know.

Nope! I buy what I can afford and refuse to stress myself out or get into debt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back