Any coffee drinkers out there?

BrandyBestPal

Reaction score
I can't go without 2 mugs of coffee in the morning. I know the recommendation is no more than 200mg of caffeine a day. But I seriously can not function. Am I the only one?
I've tried one mug in the morning and a tea in the afternoon... but it is soooooo hard to make it to tea time. I get super cranky and very unpleasant to be around!
:dohh:

I drink 1 cup in the morning. Occasionally I have another small cup in the afternoon.

I did this as well with my last full term baby and he was a fine, 8lb. boy, perfectly healthy.

I think a cup or two is probably alright.

I used to drink about 3 cups of coffee, one of them being a cappuccino from our machine.
I started drinking one cup less, but when nausea hit me at 6 weeks I stopped altogether, I just couldn't smell it or even think of drinking it.
I occasionally have one cup, about once a week.

I think 2 cups is fine, could you maybe skip the morning one and just have the evening one? Do you also drink Coke? If not, I think 2 is fine, if you do... You'll need to cut back on something.

1 to 2 cups is OK. Don't drink too much. Here I found Is It Safe To Drink Coffee During Pregnancy? https://www.momjunction.com/articles/safe-drink-coffee-pregnancy_002976/. Check this once.

I used to drink about 3 cups of coffee, one of them being a cappuccino from our machine.
I started drinking one cup less, but when nausea hit me at 6 weeks I stopped altogether, I just couldn't smell it or even think of drinking it.
I occasionally have one cup, about once a week.

I think 2 cups is fine, could you maybe skip the morning one and just have the evening one? Do you also drink Coke? If not, I think 2 is fine, if you do... You'll need to cut back on something.

I don't drink any soft drinks... or eat much chocolate at that.
Just my 2 cups of coffee. :flower:

I drink 1 cup in the morning. Occasionally I have another small cup in the afternoon.

I did this as well with my last full term baby and he was a fine, 8lb. boy, perfectly healthy.

I think a cup or two is probably alright.

I also drank coffee with my first - she turned out to be a big healthy girl (9lb4oz)... but I did stop at 8wks due to aversion.
Baby brain is seriously getting me today - I have no idea if I started drinking coffee again or if I went the entire pregnancy without after I stopped. I also can't remember how many cups I drank leading to the 8wks.

I hope a second baby doesn't make my brain worse! I can't afford to lose any more of my marbles! Haha:haha:

1 to 2 cups is OK. Don't drink too much. Here I found Is It Safe To Drink Coffee During Pregnancy? https://www.momjunction.com/articles/safe-drink-coffee-pregnancy_002976/. Check this once.

Thanks for the link. Honestly, I sometimes have 3 cups of joe... I wake up at 5:30am for work... but I don't think I drink too much coffee - it's not an entire pot or anything.
But I will be very mindful of not exceeding the recommended amount.

I used to drink and entire pot daily. With the good stuff too.

When we found out I had a shit load of bad habit to kick. I got a can of decaf and a can of reg and mixed them and weaned myself off. Not it's decafe. Which doesn't help much honestly and I'm more that hoping daily for the placebo effect. :) but it's something. No sodas here either. Which was surprisingly easier to kick than I thought. Chocolate. Well... That comes and goes and depends entirely on my mood. A girl has got to have chocolate occasionally!

I have about 2-3 cups of coffee in the morning too. The soda was kinda easy for me to stop. i still crave it..but definitely haven't drank any i had too many kidney stones with my last pregnancy.

I hope this doesn't sound silly but is it the coffee itself you love or the caffeine? Because maybe you could do 1/2 regular and 1/2 decaf? I did with my 1st because I couldn't function without it but I know some people can't stand decaf. Just a suggestion :thumbup:

I hope this doesn't sound silly but is it the coffee itself you love or the caffeine? Because maybe you could do 1/2 regular and 1/2 decaf? I did with my 1st because I couldn't function without it but I know some people can't stand decaf. Just a suggestion :thumbup:

I agree. I have been mixing half decaf and have regular since I found out. Although caffeine does absolutely perk you up, most coffee drinkers find the routine of drinking coffee just as important. You can totally get a placebo effect from having two cups of half caf!

I drink coffee as well, some days more, some days less. I drank a lot more during my first pregnancy due to work, and he was a healthy bouncing baby boy! I try and do a cup in the morning and one in the afternoon to help keep me going when I need it :)

My midwife had actually advised me to drink coffee during my first pregnancy because due to an aversion I stopped and acquired horrible headaches. She told me up to 500mg a day is okay if you are otherwise healthy, but personally I can't drink that much or I can't sleep at night!

I've gone from a 3-4 cups a day pre preg to now i drink one cup a day through most of my first trimester, but then I read about how many pesticides in coffee, so now I am trying to do like every other day and try to get organic coffee. I also have been feeling crummy weeks 11-13 and so it has been easier and since I started with every other day I always can push another day without.... this is really hard to believe for me since I LOVE COFFEE MORE THAN ANYTHING. But it was a 11 week taper. I will stay here for a while until the tiredness of 3rd tri kicks in and i'll need to up it again!

I was drinking 1-2 cups per day before pregnancy. I find that the caffeine affects me a LOT more now than it did. I usually have 1 or occasionally 2 cups per day, about 1/2 decaf 1/2 regular. There was one day I had one cup of full caffeine coffee and I felt really awful and shakey.
Iced tea is also tasting good right now, it has some caffeine but lots less than coffee so I am well below the daily limit.

I guess it is both - but I need the caffeine to keep going. Years of addiction I guess. I read somewhere, that you should stick to regular and avoid decaf. Not sure why? I did think to have a cup of decaf at work to see if it helped, but I didn't the other day because of that silly article. I never know what to believe!

I drink coffee as well, some days more, some days less. I drank a lot more during my first pregnancy due to work, and he was a healthy bouncing baby boy! I try and do a cup in the morning and one in the afternoon to help keep me going when I need it :)

My midwife had actually advised me to drink coffee during my first pregnancy because due to an aversion I stopped and acquired horrible headaches. She told me up to 500mg a day is okay if you are otherwise healthy, but personally I can't drink that much or I can't sleep at night!

You've made me feel a lot better! I had read that you could have up to 300mg, but that 200mg was more advisable. But I'll take 500mg any day :thumbup:
But in all seriousness, I don't want to abuse the coffee/caffeine... just need it to survive my day. 2 cups is good, a 3rd would be spectacular in the afternoon!
I guess it is a weaning process.

You've made me feel a lot better! I had read that you could have up to 300mg, but that 200mg was more advisable. But I'll take 500mg any day :thumbup:
But in all seriousness, I don't want to abuse the coffee/caffeine... just need it to survive my day. 2 cups is good, a 3rd would be spectacular in the afternoon!
I guess it is a weaning process.

I also read an article that said that caffeine around 300mg seems safe, and more than that doesn't correlate or cause a miscarriage, but it DOES seem to be inversely correlated to birth weight - more caffeine = lower birth weight.

https://www.webmd.com/baby/news/20130219/caffeine-linked-low-birth-weight-babies

Your body WILL adjust to less caffeine, you just have to give it some time. Also make sure to get plenty of exercise and sleep and that you are eating heathy. Doing all those things will do more for your energy level than caffeine ever could.

2 cups a day is fine. I went from 6 or 7 cups a day to just one in a morning now, I drink decaf tea and coffee and herbal teas to make up for it. I cudnt function without my morning cuppa but iv found it a lot easier to give up than I thought x

I used to be a big coffee drinker. With my first pregnancy I drank it till 8 weeks then I HATED the smell of it and I just haven't fancied any this time, the thought of it makes me gag x

I was a huge coffee drinker, had to have it daily, but it was one of my very first aversions, and if I drank it anyway because I really wanted some, I would immediately vomit. So cutting it out was thankfully easy for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->